The real benefits of yoga?

Options
Does yoga have any real benefits? I mean, it's so sedate and calm, I've always used the basic beginner stuff as part of the meditative process. I can feel the muscles being stretched but I've never really felt any real benefits from it other than being able to relax and collect myself while still moving. But I have only been doing the basic stuff with no view to go beyond that. It's basically the stuff we were taught in college as a way to loosen up and calm down before a performance.Well now I'm thinking about actually making a fitness routine and sticking to it. I want to incorporate yoga into my routine because I love it, but will it have any real benefits on helping me tone up?

Replies

• Ruebsss
    Ruebsss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do Bikram yoga and haven't done any other types. Bikram is done in 40 degree C. heat for 90 minutes so it's pretty intense but it has heaps of benefits: mental, physical, emotional and spiritual. And it burns as much as 800 calories so I highly recommend it.
  • lnjmyson
    lnjmyson Posts: 1
    Options
    I absolutely think it's valuable - at least from a toning and strength perspective but it depends what type you do. I've found Louise Solomon's Yogalates DVDs to be very effective - good combo of yoga and pilates moves so you feel nice and stretched out afterwards but it definitely has an impact on core tone and lifts your bum! That said, depends how often you do it though...
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    strength and flexibility - awesome! You cannot go wrong incorporating yoga into your routine. If possible attend some classes with a well regarded teacher. Form and directing your attention to form while performing the yoga poses is everything.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
  • carmelamturner
    Options
    There is also meditation and breathing exercise which make people feel that it is only a mild form. It is usually considered a form of exercise that helps to rejuvenate one’s body and mind. Yoga styles like hot Yoga, Power Yoga, etc are actually aimed at losing weight. The asanas in these exercise stretch your body to the limit and while you practice these asanas regularly, you tend to lose fats and calories. Hatha Yoga has some basic postures and breathing techniques.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for 2 yrs or so. While it is hard for me to say that it has contributed to visual changes, it certainly helps with balance, focus, core strength, and flexibility. There are many forms of yoga that go beyond the calm relaxing type and will give you quite the workout.
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think it's valuable - at least from a toning and strength perspective but it depends what type you do. I've found Louise Solomon's Yogalates DVDs to be very effective - good combo of yoga and pilates moves so you feel nice and stretched out afterwards but it definitely has an impact on core tone and lifts your bum! That said, depends how often you do it though...

The bum lifting would help, I've found the hardest part of getting in shape is lifting my bum off the couch. :happy:
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Seeing this video of the 93-year old yoga instructor certainly made me want to restart yoga!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/international/2012/05/15/pkg-vassileva-yoga-teacher-guinness-record.reuters
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Strength, flexibility, balance. I have been practicing for 10 years (off and on). I prefer vinayasa flow styles (Shiva Rea has some good DVDs) and also Bikram. For me, yoga is only one aspect of my fitness routine. I incorporate once per week, or more if needed. For example, last week my upper back and neck were so tight I couldn't turn my head properly. 3 Bikram sessions and now back to normal range of motion.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a huge difference in my flexibility, which of course helps prevent injury. I've noticed some small increases in my core strength (like being able to hold myself in plank rather than with knees down) but the biggest benefit from yoga to me has been helping me control my breathing while running. Deep diaphramatic breathing in yoga has helped build up my lung endurance so I dont huff and puff while i'm running anymore and also helped me think about my breathing, so when things get hard or I get a stich in my side I think "deep breath in..... deep breath out... deep breath in..." and it helps me get through it.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I've heard United also use Pilates as part of their training (oh to be at one of those sessions!)
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Ok, so bearing in mind that it's been several years since I last did any real dance or yoga, I downloaded an app on my phone with yoga routines, fished out my fiancés floor mat and gave it a go. The breathing comes naturally to me because I've been dancing and meditating since I was 10 years old, and even though I haven't done much in the last few years, it's my sure fire way to send myself to sleep when insomnia strikes, focus on my breathing and block out any and all thoughts focusing on inhaling sleep and exhaling whatever is keeping me awake (worry, fear, insecurity, caffeine) :P

The poses, I only did some basic things and discovered that I can no longer touch my toes T_T Jeez how much flexibility have I lost not dancing? But other than that I only really had problems with one pose. The downward facing dog? I just can't do that. It was one that I was never taught to do, in college. so I don't know if I'm missing something or if it's just my loss of flexibility that has done it. Anyway, I'm going to keep at it with my phone (I've got four routines, three of which are basic and one of which is designed to help loose weight, think I'll stick to the basic ones :P ) and try to put yoga in in the morning, varying which routine I use, but I'm also going to keep an eye out for a yoga class. I guess my phone answered my question for me because that downward facing dog really wanted to show me that it's not as easy as I remember :P

The plank is easy for me though, plank, warrior and the upward facing dog pose are my three favourite poses and ones I still do with some sort of frequency. I can maintain a plank for about three minutes without breaking a sweat.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options

The poses, I only did some basic things and discovered that I can no longer touch my toes T_T Jeez how much flexibility have I lost not dancing? But other than that I only really had problems with one pose. The downward facing dog? I just can't do that. It was one that I was never taught to do, in college. so I don't know if I'm missing something or if it's just my loss of flexibility that has done it. Anyway, I'm going to keep at it with my phone (I've got four routines, three of which are basic and one of which is designed to help loose weight, think I'll stick to the basic ones :P ) and try to put yoga in in the morning, varying which routine I use, but I'm also going to keep an eye out for a yoga class. I guess my phone answered my question for me because that downward facing dog really wanted to show me that it's not as easy as I remember :P

What do you mean you can't do down dog? Do you mean you can't get your heals to the floor? Do you feel pain in your wrists? Do your shoulders feel like they are giving way? (all of these are normal btw).

My 2 cents as far as yoga benefits: if you love it, you will continue to do it - and that is the best exercise you can get. I try my best not to believe one style has more benefit than another, despite being partial to my own :tongue:
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's really important to get your form right. See if you can attend even one class with a good instructor to get tips on form. Down dog is a foundational pose. Understanding and "feeling" how to do that right will be helpful!