Is there something wrong with me???

Options
Hello, my name is Maureen and I am new to this site. I've been overweight most of my life and hit my breaking point about 5 months ago when I topped the scale at 200 lbs. I joined weight watchers 4 1/2 months ago and am getting no where. I've been working my butt off doing everything they tell you to. do. I watch what i eat, stay within my points, drink lots of water. I do 20 mins of cardio 3 days a week and attend a stength training class twice a week. I am only losing a avg of 1lb a month.

I feel like I should be losing more than that and I becoming very discouraged. Last weekend I had one day where I was bad on my diet but got right back on track the next day. Then at my weigh in lastnight I gained 4.2 lbs this week. That seems CRAZY to me that I can gain that much in 1 week. I am wondering if other people experince this or if there could be something medically preventing me from losing weight and putting on so much in a week. Please help because I'm ready to give up!!

Replies

• kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    there could be lots of reasons, But first and formost, you need to want to just get "Healthy"
    #1 watch your salt, carbs, and fat. also up the protein and fiber.
    #2 you probably need more cardio. try a minimum of 45min's at least 3-5 days a week. and then add more as your body adjusts to it.
    #3 age can play a large role in weight loss, the older we are the harder it is to lose.
    #4 be sure your logging your food, and that is everything from condiments to drinks. every little morsel that touches your lips, should be on the list.
    #5 don't just estimate your foods. most people are way off if they estimate. always assume your eating more Cals if your trying to estimate portions.
    #6 if your still having problems.. check with your Dr. there might be other underlaying reasons.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Maureen,
    Dont think anything is wrong with you. Just dont give up, averaging one lb a month is not something to feel bad about. Women tend to lose a great deal slower. Not to mention you are doing some strength training which can limit the weight loss, but it wont limit the inches that you lose. In the long run as you build muscle it will benefit you even more. People do experience what you are going thorugh. In fact I just jumped up 2 lbs from last weeks weight, poor diet, but the trick is not to give up.

If you think it is something medically wrong, go see a doctor.
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with you, I promise. I've never been thin, I don't even know what that would feel like. I've been well over 2oo lbs. for a few years now. I've only been on this site for a few weeks, but it has helped me a lot. I've been restricting my calories to 1300 a day and I work out 6 days a week, a mixture of cardio and strength training. It's hard to find the time to work out that much with a full-time job and an active social life, but it's important enough to me, so I make the time. I've already dropped 14 lbs. and am still losing. Maybe you just need to mix things up a little...
  • ngallant88
    Options
    Maureen,
    You are doing great. Remember its not just about how much you eat but what you eat. If you are eating proccessed junk instead of clean healthy food that can make a huge difference. Your workouts should be intense!!! Cardio should be intense if only for 20 min. I suggest reading Master your metboliosm, Jillian Michaels. Nad listem to her old podcasts. It will really open your eyes. here is the link http://www.kfi640.com/podcast/SUNDAY.xml Listen to as many as you can!!!!
  • raemundo
    raemundo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?
    I didn't see any results until I cut mine down to 1200 a day + exercise calories. I also do cardio 20 min a day 5 times a week. But this is what works for me, you just have to change it up and see what works for you!
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 cals a day. Give or take a few.
    My typical day is:

Breakfast
    1cup of multigrain cheerios
    1/2 cup of skim milk
    1 med banana or pear

Lunch
    salad with 2 cups leefy greens, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 cup tomatos, either hard boiled egg or ham slice and fat free italian dressing
    1 apple

Dinner
    about 4oz of lean meat
    1 cup of whole grain rice, pasta, or small potato
    2 cups of steamed veg with a little pepper

Snack
    low fat icecream bar

I do 20 mins on a elliptical at level 5. Trying to work my way up to atleast 30 mins a day. I also walk my dog every morning for about a 1/4 mile.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi Maureen. A pound a month isn't anything to scoff at...I know it doesn't seem like much, but have you lifted a pound of butter lately? It's pretty nice to be getting that off of your body each and every month. If you're only eating 1200 calories/ day, are you eating back the calories you're burning off with exercise? 1200 calories is the minimum amount of calories a woman should have per day- and that's after you eat back your exercise calories. Believe it or not, more food very often means a better weight loss.

Good luck.

__

I have more weight to lose than you, but I eat 1450 calories per day on days I don't exercise, and upwards of 2000 on the days I do workout.