Confusion

Options
Im sure that a lot of people have this sue but it's driving me nuts! Really started heavily on the exercise as enough is enough. I am in the zone and this week have done 1 shred and 3 4k runs ( walk run and new to running after long time away). However, my weight seems to have shot up.... My water intake and food consumption is healthy with the odd snack size milky way or weight watchers test but nothing over the top.

I'm not going to give up, I know I should stay away from the scales and I'm loving the feeling after exercise but I'm slightly feeling down about the numbers on the scale.... Does muscle weigh more really? Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated:)

Replies

• momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you just started hitting the exercise hard your muscles are most likely holding on to water. Give it some time and drink extra water.
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    when suddenly increasing exercise, your damaged muscles hold water. 3-4 pounds of water retention in your muscles is common.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Search the forums.

This get asked ALL the time and there is no shortage of answers already on the books.

To put it bluntly, no you didn't gain a bunch of muscle weight. Also, you can't gain weight in a calorie deficit so just relax, stick with it and check back in another few weeks.

HAVE FUN! :D
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I recently had a huge exercise weekend and burnt 1000s of calories on the HRM and know that I did some work as my leg muscles were crazily sore. Jumped on the scales Thursday and I was up 2.5kg!!!

Spoke to a friend at work and she said that it can take the body some time to get used to the extra work and will put energy into healing the overworked muscles rather than fat burning but that it will even out and will see the benefits.

Not sure how true that is, but keep it up as the benefits will be there.
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    5 lbs of muscle is the same of 5 lbs of fat. Muscle is lean and mean - fat no so much. even if you haven't really lost pounds, you are probably seeing a difference in the way your clothes fit and inches lost. your body may be adjusting to the new "you" so give it time. don't give up
  • Angmad16
    Angmad16 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your answers... Guess its just hearing it and support is really nice to have:)
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    All that exercise causes micro-tears and small injuries to muscle and connective tissue. As part of the body's repair system you'll get some swelling and water retention. When the healing is done that temporary water weight will drop off. Give it more time. In fact, in general, you should give any change a good 2 weeks before making a judgement about whether the change is good or bad. it's way too soon to be discouraged. Keep it up!
  • Angmad16
    Angmad16 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You're right about it ding too soon:) I'm really not going to give up, I really enjoy exercise, with cutting down portion sizes which had been my biggest problem and cutting out alcohol, I'm sure things will defo improve over time.