what is a good quick snack before the gym for energy?

Options
jennaworksout
jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
I work 7:30 - 4:30 monday to friday and go to gym right from work, however some days I feel quite weak and lathargic, i usually have fruit around 3:30 but that does not seem to keep my energy level up. Any ideas??

Replies

• nishsuz
    nishsuz Posts: 55
    Options
    bump - i wanted to ask the same thing!
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Add some peanut butter with the apple...and it seems to do the trick for me
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Add some peanut butter with the apple...and it seems to do the trick for me

this plus a cup of coffee
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    A couple of Nairns oatcakes. Slow burning carbs giving plenty of energy as you train.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    A couple of Nairns oatcakes. Slow burning carbs giving plenty of energy as you train.

will oats be availabke for energy if she eats them just before her workout?
  • danielle3203
    Options
    I always go for a banana or orange.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Try a teaspoon of honey. It's counterproductive to eat anything heavy or drink a lot just before a workout. Or just try adjusting your schedule so you're working out about 2 hours after a meal.
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer is telling me protein, protein, protein. He has me eat 4 eggs or a can of water pack tuna by itself after the workout. Before he suggests almond butter and banana or 2 eggs and a fruit. He also had me get Syntha-6 protein powder that has 22 grams of protein for immediate use after and can use before if I want as well. Hope this helps some.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I work the same hours, hitting the gym between 5:30pm and 7ish.

I make a sandwich at lunch time along with a salad or soup, eating half at lunch & then the other half on the way to the gym. I found Arnold high protein bread is a wonderful combination of some extra protein, whole grains, great flavor and soft texture. Each slice is 110 calories, and 7g of protein. So each "half" is a pretty good pair with some turkey, spicy mustard, lettuce and tomato. I find it gets me through the work out. If I'm doing a double -- like yoga & a class -- I also drink an 8oz carton carton of fat free chocolate milk, for another 5g of protein. Ready for a healthy dinner at 8pm after getting home from the gym.
  • fatboymax
    fatboymax Posts: 90
    Options
    Oh yeah coffee really works for me. Immediate boost right when you get in there. But drink a lot of water at the gym cause i tend to get dehydrated quick right after.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am all for the chocolate milk.
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like to eat protein bars. Otherwise a slice of double fiber bread with peanut butter and some bananas!! That is my favorite!
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Strong black coffe does the trick for me. Maybe try a teaspoon of peanut butter too.

Ideally you should try and squeeze in a small meal around 60-90 minutes prior to your workout which may include them oatcakes which were suggested.

If you struggle for preparation and time why nto use a product such as PHD Synergy an hour before training, its not ideal as it has around 18g of sugars but it wont damage your diet dramatically. or.... A protein shake with a scoop of oats (sounds unappealing but i really ike them.
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love a low carb Monster energy drink before I go.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

will oats be availabke for energy if she eats them just before her workout?

20 mins before hand, yes. They are slow digesting meaning some will begin digesting just after eating them. Its not slow then all of a sudden gone...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A banana for me.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    wow! thanks for all the good ideas!!! apple & peanut butter seems to be the popular easy and quick snack,,,will be trying some today!!:happy: