Revision and Snacking!

Options
Currently studying for my second year of uni exams, and whenever I am revising, I always feel the constant need to be snacking on something D: am I the only one?
I have a theory it's because of boredom haha!

Replies

• BigB1924
    BigB1924 Posts: 30
    Options
    Boredom is key try chewing gum!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Ah, good ole boredom eating. I remember it well. Chew gum or brush your teeth before you sit down. OR just tell yourself NO. It's ok to do that once in a while...LOL
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I get that too! :)
    If I do feel the need to snack, I have cherry tomatoes & grapes. :)
  • Jeeenjohnson19
    Jeeenjohnson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yeah I should go buy some gum! Brushing my teeth I haven't tried so I'm gonna try that!
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    replace your snack with some water! staying hydrated will keep you alert and keep you from feeling hungry

if you are really really hungry, get some snap peas, or steam up some edamame - make sure you put it in a bowl or something beside you in the portion you want to eat though! even if you are only eating veggies you can go overboard. a serving size that should be 35 cals can turn into 150 pretty fast when you go from eating 1 cup to 3 or 4.
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    I feel you, I'm a fresher and have my first exams coming up. I space out my meals into "snack" portions throughout the day - eg. half my breakfast at 8, the other half at 11, lunch at 1, snack at 3, snack at 5, dinner at 7, snack at 10 - so I don't stress eat or binge on unhealthy vending machine food as all my food is pre-packed in my bag. (I can't chew gum due to IBS). My favourite snack currently is grapes! Yum. I also like salted redskin peanuts. Also remember caffeine stimulates appetite, as does refined sugar, so cut the coffee and the energy drinks. Fuel your all nighters with nourishing, healthy food instead. Fibre, protein and fat is the key.
  • uk_angeldust
    uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    omg that is soooooo meeeee ! ! !

I try to snack on healthy food though !
  • sixeyes
    sixeyes Posts: 3
    Options
    I second the advice about spacing out meals. I like to break up my revision for 15 minutes here and there, and during these breaks food is really tempting. Small snack-portioned meals is thus a good idea! I suppose it's good for the metabolism as well, haha.

I find that coffee distracts me from the urge to eat, though. Maybe it's because my 'hunger' is due to restlessness.

Also, drink lots of water!
  • awake_atlast
    awake_atlast Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat with you right now, revising for my exams.. I found out that having a full bottle of water at my side while studying really helps. Every now and then I pour myself a glass and sip on it. It keeps my mouth occupied with something while I study...
  • sixeyes
    sixeyes Posts: 3
    Options
    I also find that it helps to plan my meals for the entire day. It's easier to avoid mindless eating then. But it really is such a nice way to stave off the boredom : D
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I study I make up big bottles of orange squash. Usually manage to snack less then.
  • 1985Andy
    1985Andy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great advice so far..

Another shout from me for the following:

Get a bottle of water and drink it everytime you have a craving.
    Brush your teeth before you begin.
    Eat chewing gum.

Good luck in your quest for health and your exams! :D
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Edamame beans in the pod!!!!!best snack ever:)
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. I notice I feel more full and emotionally stratified with a warm salty snack. So popcorn. Plus its cheap. And you can get the controlled mini-bags if you don't trust yourself.
  • lucyodonovan
    lucyodonovan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is completely me too! What I usually do is have a couple of 1 ltr bottles of water chilling in the fridge, when I start studying I take one and drink through my study session. If I feel that "boredom hunger" sinking in I try and drink at least 1/3 of the bottle in one go - usually fills me up AND gets more water in!