the things that drives me bananas...

Options
so, as my profile says, i live in the uk with my bf, now im going home in 2 weeks, last time i went i was at my highest weight ever and now i went from 220 to 192, so 28 pounds lost, hope to make it to 30 pounds before i go.
so far nobody at home knows, except mom, coz its hard to keeps anything from moms, so out of my excitement i sent her a picture of me while we were talking on the phone, well, the first thing she says was,,, well your face still looks round, ................... and that was it,
i mean, i wouldnt have liked it fom anybody, but from my mom ? the one that is suppose to support me ... could she not have said anything else ? even lie for my morale sake ?
the thing is going home and surprising everybody was a huge motivation for me, i really did my best, nearly had any cheat days or off days from the workout, and its made my whole excitement in question, maybe i just made a big deal out of nothing, maybe nobody will notice. i will not have been in vain because i feel great, and today i went shopping and bought a size 18 (us size 14) thats 2 sizes down and is a miracle, since that i havent been that size since i was 14..lol

something else thats put me down yesterday, i go swimming with my mother in law, everytime she comes she insist to take me out for lunch after, now i prefer to go home and have that healthy homemade broccoli soup that is waiting for me, i tell her that and tell her that shes invited. but she insists and insists to the point where i give up and say ok, so we get there and theres a huge cake counter, and i say, ho gee, those look good, well that was her cue (and my mistake) she started insisting for me to have a cake, she knows i dont eat that kind of things anymore, she knows that i am really trying hard, why does she feels like she needs to sabotage everything ? (believe me, i did not have cake, i promise !!!!!!!!!)
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry to vent,
whats the things that have been getting on your nerves lately ?
may

Replies

• may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    so, as my profile says, i live in the uk with my bf, now im going home in 2 weeks, last time i went i was at my highest weight ever and now i went from 220 to 192, so 28 pounds lost, hope to make it to 30 pounds before i go.
    so far nobody at home knows, except mom, coz its hard to keeps anything from moms, so out of my excitement i sent her a picture of me while we were talking on the phone, well, the first thing she says was,,, well your face still looks round, ................... and that was it,
    i mean, i wouldnt have liked it fom anybody, but from my mom ? the one that is suppose to support me ... could she not have said anything else ? even lie for my morale sake ?
    the thing is going home and surprising everybody was a huge motivation for me, i really did my best, nearly had any cheat days or off days from the workout, and its made my whole excitement in question, maybe i just made a big deal out of nothing, maybe nobody will notice. i will not have been in vain because i feel great, and today i went shopping and bought a size 18 (us size 14) thats 2 sizes down and is a miracle, since that i havent been that size since i was 14..lol

something else thats put me down yesterday, i go swimming with my mother in law, everytime she comes she insist to take me out for lunch after, now i prefer to go home and have that healthy homemade broccoli soup that is waiting for me, i tell her that and tell her that shes invited. but she insists and insists to the point where i give up and say ok, so we get there and theres a huge cake counter, and i say, ho gee, those look good, well that was her cue (and my mistake) she started insisting for me to have a cake, she knows i dont eat that kind of things anymore, she knows that i am really trying hard, why does she feels like she needs to sabotage everything ? (believe me, i did not have cake, i promise !!!!!!!!!)
    arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry to vent,
    whats the things that have been getting on your nerves lately ?
    may
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I sooooo don't understand diet-sabotage rs!! It's sooo hard to lose weight, and 10X harder if you don't have the support/encouragement from friends & family. :angry:

Stick to your guns after swimming. Let your MIL see that you're serious about losing weight. :flowerforyou:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to bad-mouth your Mom but that's such CRAP!!!

I have a girlfriend of mine whos Mother is never happy... My friend is only about 5'1" and at one poitn she weighed around 176-180 lbs. Her mom always got on to her and told her how fat she looked in clothing, bathing suits, etc. So, my friend went to college and ended up losing down to 120 lbs!!! She looked AMAZING - and, yet, her Mother still had a problem with it. She would say to my friend "You are too skinning! Do you have an eating disorder?!" I want to be like "Get off her back, Lady!"

Did I mention my friend and I were roomates in college? So I know first hand that she lost the weight the RIGHT way!

I know it's easier said than done but try to ignore your Mom. I love my Mom SO MUCH, but that doesn't mean she's always right about everything!!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    My mom is the same way. I have not told my mom that I've lost 23 lbs cuz I know she will have this mental picture in her head and when I go visit her in July and don't meet her expectation, I will hear the comments.
    I know she doesn't mean to be hurtful but it does hurt.

Stay strong and positive. You've worked your *kitten* off to lose the weight and nobody can take that away from you.

Take care,
    Mireille
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thanks guy ,.. that really means a lot,
    i know my mom isnt exactly a pro with tact and being nice in general, but im learning to ignoring it,
    i know she loves me and doesnt really mean to be mean

at least i got you guys to keep me up !!!
    :flowerforyou:
    may
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    My mom is the oppsite. When I loos a little weight she freaks out that I'm anorexic and not eating. I am not even close to being that skinny and she sees me eat. My brother tells me to eat or I'll look like Star Jone, skinny with a big head. They are nuts. I guess they just like me overwieght. Who knows?
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    may_marie - I have disturbing news... I think your my sister, because I totally have the same mother!!!! HAHA. I take a page from the book of a friend of mine whose mother is always criticizing everything she does... not in a mean way, but she still does it -- and my friend just ignores it and says "sure mum".... It makes me want to scream but when I talked to her about it she said (and I quote!)

"Look, me getting mad isn't going to change her. I know I'm doing the right thing and her problems and issues need to stay hers... why do I need to take them on? So I treat them that way - like they aren't my problems".....

Best advice I ever got......
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    People react in weird ways when you lose weight. Some people are so excited for you and you wouldn't have expected them to even notice. Other people (like mothers!) don't support you, maybe because of their own issues. It isn't fair, but don't take it personally.

I'm a little bit over 220 and I know how amazing I would look at 192 (and cannot wait to follow in your foot steps and get there). I'm sure you look GREAT and it is a big change. Be excited for yourself, because not only are you taking care of yourself better and taking on this huge challenge, but I am SURE lots of people will be very happy for you. Hang in there!