Can you lose weight just by walking?

Options
I'm such a lazy bum, I hate exercise (or at least the exercises I've tried - weight lifting, bodyrocktv, 30DS, zumba, jogging, gym, etc) APART FROM walking! Is it possible to lose weight by eating 1060 calories a day and walking? I want to lose 13 more pounds then I've reached my goal weight. I know the more of the same exercise you do the more acclimatised you are to it so would I have to keep upping how long I walk for? :smile: I want to lose 13 pounds by July. Hopefully.

Thanks for any help guys!

Replies

• _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You dont even have to walk in fact you can sit on your behind all day and still lose a ton of weight.....its all about your diet. Key to everything.
  • StirFriedGiblets
    Options
    You dont even have to walk in fact you can sit on your behind all day and still lose a ton of weight.....its all about your diet. Key to everything.

I have a feeling my diet won't cut it really, if people saw it they'd have a fit. No vegetables or fruits. :indifferent: I wouldn't class it as healthy but I have little control of it because I don't buy the food.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I walk 4 times a week for about 30 minutes and I have lost 18 pounds since Feb 27, 2012 so yes you can lose weight by only walking and watching your calories. I'm not the healthiest eater either so you can do it but you have to stay within your calorie range. I started out at 1000 and just recently increased to 1100 and lost more weight when I increase my calories and I plan to keep increasing them til I get to a healthier number and my maintenance level
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Of course you can lose weight by walking - as it uses up calories. If you create a calorie deficit then over time you will lose weight. The more the deficit the quicker you will lose weight. Any activity will increase the deficit but eating less calories will increase the deficit more effectively. Much easier to lose weight by controlling your intake rather than increasing your output.

BTW You have complete control of what goes into your mouth! If not, you better learn before you go to university!
  • StirFriedGiblets
    Options
    Too bad I can't see your diet diary. The main reason you should eat fruits and vegetables is for nutrition and (filling) fiber. If you don't eat veggies and fruit, you should take some type of fiber supplement and a multi-vitamin.

When one begins to eat less than the body is used to, the body will fight back by slowing your metabolism. Exercise fights that tendency somewhat. That's why you should walk for exercise. Walking is great. Most of my exercise comes from walking.

I've made my food diary public, although I'm pretty embarrassed by the state of it lol. If you are still wanting to have a look at it :)
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I have a feeling my diet won't cut it really, if people saw it they'd have a fit. No vegetables or fruits. :indifferent: I wouldn't class it as healthy but I have little control of it because I don't buy the food.

Doesn't matter what you eat for weight loss, just how much of it. You need to eat fewer calories than your body actually needs.

Walking will help weight loss, but you'll need to control your calories too. That would be enough if you're not bothered about general health and just want to lose weight.
  • StirFriedGiblets
    Options
    Of course you can lose weight by walking - as it uses up calories. If you create a calorie deficit then over time you will lose weight. The more the deficit the quicker you will lose weight. Any activity will increase the deficit but eating less calories will increase the deficit more effectively. Much easier to lose weight by controlling your intake rather than increasing your output.

BTW You have complete control of what goes into your mouth! If not, you better learn before you go to university!

I am going fully catered when I go to university and I am planning to pick the vegetarian options, it just means I won't be able to accurately log my calories - something I'm anxious about - as canteen food doesn't come with it's own nutritional labels :laugh:

When I don't eat the food my mam buys she thinks I'm starving myself :frown: so I just eat what she gives me now so she doesn't harass me.
  • StirFriedGiblets
    Options
    I walk 4 times a week for about 30 minutes and I have lost 18 pounds since Feb 27, 2012 so yes you can lose weight by only walking and watching your calories. I'm not the healthiest eater either so you can do it but you have to stay within your calorie range. I started out at 1000 and just recently increased to 1100 and lost more weight when I increase my calories and I plan to keep increasing them til I get to a healthier number and my maintenance level

Oh that's great news :D I'll bare that in mind!
  • StirFriedGiblets
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you eat for weight loss, just how much of it. You need to eat fewer calories than your body actually needs.

Walking will help weight loss, but you'll need to control your calories too. That would be enough if you're not bothered about general health and just want to lose weight.

How much fewer do I have to eat? My BMR is 1327 calories.
  • Janlyn51
    Janlyn51 Posts: 25
    Options
    I started walking July 2011 and counting my calories and have lost 18lbs. So hang in there, but I think you may need more calories. Not enough will put you in a stand-still. :flowerforyou:
  • sibitalic
    sibitalic Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight by walking. Two years ago I walked every day 45-60 minutes a day and lost 9 pounds in 4 weeks!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

- You work out to become fit - to improve your healthy muscle mass, increase cardiovascular capacity and stamina, and to become a healthier person.

- You eat balanced healthy meals and drink lots of water to feed your body what it needs to maintain proper operation, process food efficiently, etc.

- You reduce calories so you are taking in fewer calories than you are burning to lose weight. For each 3,500 calorie deficit you successfully create, you lose one pound of body weight. Note that I did NOT say "fat", I said "body weight", which may or may not be mostly fat depending on how well you do at the first two.

The three are interrelated but separate tasks. You can lose weight doing anything or nothing at all if you make sure you are eating fewer calories than you are burning on a daily basis. You won't be any healthier if it's all junk food and you don't exercise, but you can lose weight.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Anything that creates a calorie deficit contributes to weight loss. Walking isn't a very speedy way to burn, and you won't really get in shape doing it. But you can lose weight.
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight by walking. I have lost 148 pounds by walking and watching my calorie intake.
  • GAsoulstar
    GAsoulstar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 13 pounds from just walking. The main thing that has helped me is eating more fruits and vegetables. I think having a good workout routine and eating a balance meal is very important. Some people are able to lose weight quicker than others, but I feel a balance between working out and eating right is very important. Everything you do in life starts with your confidence. I wish you nothing but the best.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    As an active dog owner i typically walk him at least 3 hours a day and always carry my fitbit with me.

This is the report from last week.

fitbit.JPG

So i would lean towards yes, walking is excellent exercise, wether you can get into great shape doing it just depends on where you are walking.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Walking isn't a very speedy way to burn, and you won't really get in shape doing it. But you can lose weight.

It depends on what shape you're in, and how briskly you walk. When I weighed 280+, walking was about the only exercise I could contemplate, and I found that carrying all that weight on a brisk 3-mile daily walk (brisk enough to make me sweat profusely) was an excellent workout.

Now that I'm down closer to 210, it's hard for me to keep walking intensely enough to have a meaningful workout. But at this point, I can jog or ride my bike.

Walking is a GREAT starter exercise for someone starting to get fit and/or lose weight. It requires almost no equipment, absolutely no special facilities, and is still very good exercise.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Your diet is not that bad but could do with some tweaking. If your Mum sees you making healthy choices & eating well I am sure she will be fine with you looking well. If you get a diet sheet from your GP & follow that it will really help & reassure her too.
    You have a choice as to what to put in your mouth & even the veggie options when catered can be poor food choices. I suggest you take up cooking & take a short course in healthy nutrition & cooking to help you eat well when you move away to college.
    Walking is a great way to lose weight & I am sure you can find some slopes up north to push you just a bit harder......
    Keep at it & friend me if you would like.
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    I can't run until my knees are better but, walking has been great for me and I have lost weight. If I go from the house I try to get in a few good hills and if I go to the gym I do 3 miles @ 3.7 mph with a 10 incline. I'm short (5'1")so I don't have a long gait and this is a pretty good walk based workout.