Pins and Needles on Eliptical Machine?

Options
matto7347
matto7347 Posts: 27 Member
Hey , Everyone Anybody out there have a problem with the balls of your feet going numb or getting pins and niddles after working out for 30 minutes or more on the Eliptical? I wear New Balance 580's which are light a breathe great. I even have gel insoles but sure enough 30 mins in and my feet start to get the pins and needles. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt O from Philly

Replies

• ninaquelinda
    ninaquelinda Posts: 136
    Options
    I have the same issues, toes go numb within 20 mins. Sorry I don't have any suggestions...
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I used to get that from the Nordic Trak (remember those?). I changed shoes, socks, did it barefoot, didn't matter; kept getting worse.

I went to a neurologist bc we have MS in the family and I was worried.

Fortunately it was not MS! He said it was tarsal tunnel syndrome (like carpal tunnel, only in the foot), a repetitive stress injury! He said quit the Nordic Trak. I did; problem solved.

So . . . how about trying something different so your foot can move into different positions?
  • matto7347
    Options
    I have the same issues, toes go numb within 20 mins. Sorry I don't have any suggestions...

Thanks, At least I know I'm not the only one with with issue. lol!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Probably nerve impingement or an RSI. Go get it looked at, as it can probably be treated easily with physical therapy, and will likely cause more problems as time passes if not. If there is an Airrosti in your area, I'd highly recommend them, they are awesome at sports medicine type stuff.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    me too - only after about just 10 minutes. My solution - I used the treadmill and the stair machine instead for my cardio.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I found switching to shoes that were a little larger in the toe-box made a huge difference for me. Try a different shoe that gives more wiggle room.
  • csugar
    csugar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me too. I love the elliptical though, so much better than any other machine. I do try to mix it up a bit and varying the incline and intensity seems to help.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me if you put too much weight on the ball of your foot, thats when it goes pins and needles. It used to happen to me all the time and once he told me this, I focused on balancing my weight more towards the heel -- or more as you'd walk normally. I haven't gotten the pins and needles since
  • PrezBigGirl
    PrezBigGirl Posts: 23
    Options
    that used to happen to me a lot. I changed my shoes and it stopped happening often
  • PrezBigGirl
    PrezBigGirl Posts: 23
    Options
    I used to use the eliptical for 1 hour every day 6 days per week with the pins and needle problem for 1 yr and nothing was wrong and nothing happened outsite of the eliptical. Keep up the good work
  • klalaw
    klalaw Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'll second what the previous poster said about shifting your weight more towards the heel - I found that would relieve the sensation for me. Well, that, and eventually selling my elliptical...
  • matto7347
    Options
    Thank you ,everyone . :smile:
  • jennifercreighton
    Options
    My dr said it was because the balls of my feet are not properly cushioned. You may have skinny fat pads. Try an insert or wear crocs to walk like I do. Worked like a charm!
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I definitely had this problem. Been focusing more on running lately, but I love the elliptical and this used to frustrate me!!! I would always try and put more weight on my heels, but it didn't seem to matter. Glad you brought this up...great suggestions everyone!