Need some running advice! Beginner

Options
CleMike5
CleMike5 Posts: 12 Member
Hey guys I just recently finished p90x dropped down from 20% bf to 12%. Now i'm getting into running because i'm finally fit. But every time I run I get shin splints really bad after about a mile. I still have been doing 1-2 miles every few days but its painful and sometimes I have to stop even though i'm not tired or out of breath. Anyone have any advice? I did also buy very good running shoes by kswiss.

Replies

• Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Shorten your stride a little and that may help. Slow down a bit, as well. Even drop to a fast walk if you have to. I used to get horrible shin splints. They were bad enough that I just stopped thinking about trying to run for years (a stupid move in hindsight). This time around, I just started walking fast and for long distances. Then I started adding some running breaks in. Eventually, I mostly got rid of the walking and kept the running. It took a while but, by taking the slow and steady approach, I've gotten to the point where I can go for a 5 mile run with very little or (more often) no pain in the shins.

Good luck. Running is the cruelest, hardest way to make yourself feel pretty great.
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I got shin splints when I first started running (this was about 15 years ago). I just kept running and eventually stopped getting them. It took maybe a month or so to get over the discomfort. Also, it's possible that your shoes are good but not good for you. Maybe go to a running store and have them take a look at your gait? I've never actually done this but I hear it works for a lot of people. Good luck!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    the two biggest culprits for shin splits are

1) incorrectly fitted shoes (it doesn't matter how good the shoes are if they aren't right for you)
    2) overstriding

I would highly recommend against just running through it no matter what. You could end up with some a stress reaction or fracture if you aren't careful.

Compression socks, icing after running and toe taps to strengthen the muscle will help once you address #1 and #2
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It just takes time for your body to adjust to the impact. I had horrible shin splints when I first started running. Three years later it takes something unusual to get them (extra long run, running on concrete instead of my normal trail, etc.).

You may not be able to run as much as you can cardiovascular - your joints and bones have to adjust too.

I'm sure others will jump in with more specific advice, but my top warning is...
    Don't run while taking OTC pain meds - you'll end up hurting yourself worse.
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Compression sleeves for your calves. I use to have shin splints and that has since been corrected due to those sleeves.
  • CleMike5
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll be looking to those compression sleeves and maybe getting to a running store where I can see what kind of shoes I need. I'll also try to make sure my form is proper. But also from all the posts I see that a lot of beginners just get it and it eventually gets better. Really good to know because I thought maybe I just couldn't run.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned but i'll mentioned it again, is getting the correct running shoes. This will be a game changer. The socks might be of some help, but the correct shoes will fix the problem. So go to your local running store and let the fit you.

Also a stretch you can do now to help is walking on your heels for 30-40 seconds a few times a day. I would also not try to run through it, i would give it some rest and ice. that's my 2 cents
  • Massageu2
    Massageu2 Posts: 59
    Options
    Another big culprit: tight calf muscles. Be sure that you are warming up your muscles and be sure to really stretch your calf muscles prior to a run and after you finish. Also, make sure that you shorten your stride enough that you are striking the ground with you mid-foot and not on the heel. Runners that are heel strikers tend to have more problems with shin splints that mid-foot or toe strikers.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    the two biggest culprits for shin splits are

1) incorrectly fitted shoes (it doesn't matter how good the shoes are if they aren't right for you)
    2) overstriding

I would highly recommend against just running through it no matter what. You could end up with some a stress reaction or fracture if you aren't careful.

Compression socks, icing after running and toe taps to strengthen the muscle will help once you address #1 and #2

^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS.
    Get fitted at a PROPER running store (Not Dic-k's, Sports Authority, etc... half the time the "shoe experts" are covering from another department and do NOT know what they are talking about). Go to a running specialty store. (I have never been to a running store that even stocked K Swiss, let alone recommended them)

Also, look into Chi Running technique. If you are heel striking with your toes up high, you are probably taking too long of strides. This usually results in heel strike, which results in strain on the anterior tibialis muscles because your leg is pulling your toes up when your heel hits the ground.

Get your stride assessed at the running store, too. Most reputable running stores will do this when they fit you for shoes.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've never heard anyone refer to a K-Swiss shoe as a good running shoe, let alone a running shoe period.

Get some real shoes, shorten your stride, try to strike around midfoot instead of the heel, stretch a lot, only run 3-4 days a week, start with low mileage and gradually increase.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've never heard anyone refer to a K-Swiss shoe as a good running shoe, let alone a running shoe period.

They actually have good quality running shoes now.

And the reason why shin splints is a "beginners" issue isn't because they are beginners..it is because beginners are making the mistakes we are referring to.
  • CleMike5
    Options

Get some real shoes, shorten your stride, try to strike around midfoot instead of the heel, stretch a lot, only run 3-4 days a week, start with low mileage and gradually increase.

Well they have running shoes that got really good reviews. These are what I have http://www.amazon.com/K-Swiss-Tubes-Running-Black-Brilliant/dp/B003VS3WBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338414320&sr=8-1

I will definitely be going to a running store though and get fitted for the type of shoe I need though. And i'll also look into those running techniques. Thanks guys!
  • arwass2
    arwass2 Posts: 5
    Options
    yes shorten stride and make sure your not heel striking. Striking with heel first can lead to shin splints. And your shoes, did you go to a running store and get them fitted for you? I always get fitted for my running shoes and noticed a difference.
  • CleMike5
    Options
    No I'm not sure where there is a running store around me but I will be going to one soon. Thanks!
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies but I'm going to put in my two cents. I'm way overweight and I have been trying to jog. When I first started I used my Asic tennis shoes and I always got shin splints. Even 4 years ago when I was way thinner and attempted jogging I got horrible shin splints. About 3 weeks ago I bought a pair of Vibram Fivefinger barefoot running shoes and even though I am larger I can go longer WITHOUT getting shin splints! I love them! They are the only shoes I don't get shin splints in when I jog. I can't jog for but about 3-5 minutes right now but I don't get shin splints.
  • CleMike5
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies but I'm going to put in my two cents. I'm way overweight and I have been trying to jog. When I first started I used my Asic tennis shoes and I always got shin splints. Even 4 years ago when I was way thinner and attempted jogging I got horrible shin splints. About 3 weeks ago I bought a pair of Vibram Fivefinger barefoot running shoes and even though I am larger I can go longer WITHOUT getting shin splints! I love them! They are the only shoes I don't get shin splints in when I jog. I can't jog for but about 3-5 minutes right now but I don't get shin splints.

Awesome! Well i'm guessing from all the replies that It's the shoes that is the main problem :)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

Well they have running shoes that got really good reviews. These are what I have http://www.amazon.com/K-Swiss-Tubes-Running-Black-Brilliant/dp/B003VS3WBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338414320&sr=8-1

I will definitely be going to a running store though and get fitted for the type of shoe I need though. And i'll also look into those running techniques. Thanks guys!
    No worries, I'm sure they're fine I just never see K-Swiss when I read about running shoes. Just bring them with you to the running store if you find one and they might be able to check you shoes. Or they might just try to get you to buy one of theirs, who knows.

Here's a link to a decent store finder:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/store/search/1,7978,s6-240-417-0-0,00.html
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The problem is your stride. Your stride sucks because of your shoes. Throw your shoes away.

Do you throw your leg out in front of you, straighten it almost completely, and land heel first on the ground? I'm certain you answered yes. And that's your problem.

Some guy above me mentioned that he had the same problem with standard shoes and it went away when he got a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. This guy is basically Albert Einstein compared to your typical runner. Not that I specifically endorse 5-Fingers, but the point is that they take away all the things that shoe companies have added into running shoes to try and sell them to people. Note that I said sell them, and not make them better shoes. That's because given the choice between two nearly identical shoes, the customer will buy the one with "Shock Absorbing Springs" in the bottom. Not knowing that the added cushioning actually makes your running stride go all out of whack and causes injuries. (Seriously, springs? Stranger than fiction..)

Anyways, the idea is that normally without a shoe on you would run on your midfoot because running on your heel is super painful and awkward, and humans have been running (barefoot) for a very very very very very long time, prior to the advent of athletic sneakers (circa 50 years ago). Unfortunately, running shoes with huge soft heels make it much less painful to run that way, striking with your heel at each footfall. Now you're running in an unnatural way that causes leg injuries.

So the way to correct this is relatively simple, go figure out what proper running form is. There's two ways to do this. You could go look around on the internet, there's a lot of videos out there. OR you could just take your shoes off and go stride around the grass / street barefoot for a minute, since you actually already have near perfect running form (minus the shoes).

As for changing your stride, you can invest in a decent pair of running shoes with less cushioning in them, which will *help* correct your problem. Or you can just focus on proper running form and still use your old shoes. If you're going to focus on running form though, I would definitely recommend that at least for a few runs you stay at a slower pace than normal, which should keep you from getting winded which will cause your running form to revert. So run slow and concentrate on good form.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I just started the C25K program. Got the app on my iphone. I really like it!
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Shoes, shoes, shoes!
    Myself, husband, many friends- shin splits Disappear when wearing properly fitted shoes. I am not even kidding.