New to the gym, what are some exercises I should focus on?

Options
Hello fellow My Fitness Pals! I joined my local gym this weekend to try to add some "oomph" to my weight loss. I have been steadily losing weight since November 2011 and have lost 65 pounds so far doing Zumba 2-3 times a week and eating at my BMR plus all exercise calories, making sure to fill most of the calories with healthy, raw foods. At the gym last night I jogged for 15 minutes on the treadmill at 5 mph, then did the circuit downstairs (leg/hip abductor machine, leg press, lat bar (I think it was called), row thing, etc.) 3x's around, 8 reps per station. I went out into the large weight lifting area and did 8 reps 3x's on the bench press machine (65 pounds) and arm curls. Sorry if this sounds confusing, like I said, I'm new and I'm trying to get the hang of it all. Am I randomly just jumping from machine to machine or does this sound like a routine that is going to help me build muscle? My heart rate monitor said I burned 832 for an hour and a half. I am currently 201.6 pounds and attaining a goal weight isn't as important to me as being healthy and looking toned at the end of this weight loss journey although I do have a goal weight set at 142 pounds which puts me into a healthy BMI for my height 5'4". Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• bstall1976
    bstall1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Look into programs like strong lifts 5x5 and starting strength. Both have information online. Another very popular option is The New Rules of Lifting for Women. NUMEROUS women have said this book completely changed the way they look at weight lifting and weight loss
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump