What to do with the kids when school is out!?!

Options
heatherlee33
heatherlee33 Posts: 113 Member
So here is the problem. I have a three year old who is home with me everyday and a thirteen year old that will be home everyday after Friday...when school is out. Now I'm excited to have my son home, he's great....but amazingly him and my daughter fight like cats and dogs...even with the ten year age gap.

So the big problem, because I can't sell one of the kids, is what to do with them for the summer? My kids get bored pretty much immediately after they wake up. My son would play on-line shoot-em-up games until his eyeball melted out of his head...if I allowed it.

Does anyone have any ideas for what to do? Summer projects? I tried to train for a 5 K with him one year and that was fine, the next year I tried a 10 K training program and hurt my knee the first day...no running for the entire summer! So..... What the hell do I do?

I'm not in a big city that had a lot of options. Pretty much I have to drive 30 miles to get to movies...water parks, museums, etc...

???

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    put them to work in a community garden! we love little hands at ours!

or bike rides... you can get a trailer for the little one and take day trips to local destinations to check out different kinds of ecological settings. also little mini-hikes with the one on your back and the other exploring. for example, here we have a couple kind of unique areas that have very specific plants and wildlife. there are even programs at these parks specifically for kids to learn to identify plants, frogs, toads, turtles and birds.

check the libraries to see if there are any day trips scheduled for summer. if you have an audobon society nearby, they usually have many day-hikes set up.

i work with an after school program in the summer, too, and we set up field trips for the kids so that the parents can have a day to get stuff done. last year, we took the kids on a river boat ride along the old mill line and talked about how the water used to be very polluted but over the last few decades, people have been working really hard to get it back. they could see all kinds of river life and connect with nature in an experiential way.

we also took them to a food museum so they could see all the tools that people used to use before electric machinery; we took them to local parks & playgrounds and a working 18th century farm. so look into a public school summer program, too. they're usually very inexpensive.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Get the little one a bike, wear them out and they'll be too tired to fight. You can run and he can bike with you.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Go hiking with them maybe, nature walks. Bug collections, start a garden and let them seed, water, pick flowers. Fly kites, make mud cakes and castles.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    We do all kinds of stuff over the summer.

Camping, museums, the zoo. Movies. Parks.

Your kids 13, ask him what he would like to do.

I have a 13 year old, a 8 year old and a 10 month old.
  • michelle850
    michelle850 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to hear some ideas, mine are 9 and 11, I've been known to make them go outside and then lock the doors so they can't get back in and pester me....oh wait, that's probably not the best idea!! lol
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Bubbles! Bubbles for the 3 year old! I was so surprised yesterday, I made my kids go outside for a bit, and they kept coming up with more things to do outside. They started with bubbles, went to water guns, then played on their scooters/ride on toys. I would say they spent almost 2 hours outside. It was awesome! If your son is up for physical stuff, there are body weight exercise programs you could do together. I have an app on my phone called You Are Your Own Gym (I think it was $2). I started it last week, but had my almost 10 year old son start doing it with me this week. I'm having him do it for shorter time periods, but he seemed to enjoy it by the end. And he's been kind of like my personal trainer when I do my workout. I don't know. Just a suggestion.
  • Tskitzo_
    Tskitzo_ Posts: 14
    Options
    Haha what you describe in your "if I allowed it" post is pretty much what I did EVERY summer growing up. But that was probably because video games, in my family, were a family thing. I played with my father, step-mother, and little brother, and if they were playing one thing, I'd either watch, play along, or play something by myself. (edit) Oh and most of my friends were online gamers, so we'd sit on the computer for hours playing together online talking through a messenger, or through the games chat system.

Things I can suggest though... hmm

Bike riding, roller skating, build a small flower or vegetable garden.. when I was about his age I would go to the mall with friends and hang out at the arcade watching people play DDR, and just walk around window shopping with my friends. Without really knowing what's close and available to you it's hard to tell really.

Also 30 miles doesn't seem far to me, but that's because I'm from Texas and to go anywhere fun from where I used to live was at least a 15-30 minute drive, or if we wanted to go somewhere really fun it could be anywhere from 2-8 hours of driving to get there depending on where we were going. Hahaha.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    you definitely need to take them out every day for supervised activity, otherwise you will have fighting.
    is there a pool you can go to? or a beach/lake? hiking/picnics? Does the 13 year old not have friends he can go visit for the day and stuff?
    Or can you have his friends to yours? sleepovers etc? anything that gives him somethng to focus on other than the 3 year old?
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Love the ideas thus far. Any community pools nearby? Hiking trails? My son's last day of school was 5/18. We've been out nearly 2 weeks and it took a few days to find a balance. If I go to the gym, he goes to Kid's Quest (climbers, inflatables, etc.) and then we swim together. Other ideas are roller skating, bike rides, or yard work. Maybe you could ask your son to watch your daughter while you get yourself a workout in at home if you're not comfortable leaving.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Check with your local parks department or agricultural center. Our ag center has 4H day camps that don't cost much and keep them busy exploring and doing all kinds of things. Last year my daughter was in an art camp, drama camp, she learned archery, they had a small pet camp. All kinds of things.
  • theberg
    theberg Posts: 80
    Options
    My boys are 3 years apart (6 and 9), we sucked it up and bought passes to the local pool. They swim all day and are pretty tuckered out by the time we come home (6-8pm). Also we made video games into a privilege only to be played after they have played outside for a reasonable length of time AND they have had good behavior. I may be bribing my kids, but it's working so far. We shall see how that continues throughout the summer.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to hear some ideas, mine are 9 and 11, I've been known to make them go outside and then lock the doors so they can't get back in and pester me....oh wait, that's probably not the best idea!! lol

Ugh my mother used to do that to us! We hated it. :P
  • Tskitzo_
    Tskitzo_ Posts: 14
    Options
    Check with your local parks department or agricultural center. Our ag center has 4H day camps that don't cost much and keep them busy exploring and doing all kinds of things. Last year my daughter was in an art camp, drama camp, she learned archery, they had a small pet camp. All kinds of things.

Archery? That's sweet. I would have loved a camp like that when I was growing up.
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    They have summer camps for video game design and creation.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I put mine to work, lol Seriously. My son works for me 3 days a week. No harm in making them earn the oney to buy the things they want!! A little sweat never hurt me as a kid.
  • erosales0117
    Options
    Is there a boys and girls club near by? They have a $5 a year enrollment and you can drop him off there. That's what I'm doing with my daughter. I paid $100 for the whole summer camp there and she is really excited! I have to work all day so paying for daycare or camps were about $200 per week and at the boys and girls club it was $100 for the who summer from 8-5 which works out great for me since I work full time. Check out the community centers around your area.
  • jheartj95
    jheartj95 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I tell my kids they have to play, just the 2 of them 11 & 13, for 2 hours together. Then they may call a friend to play with, play video games, watch a show, etc. Often, the 2 hour limit is up, and they are having so much fun they don't realize it:)
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I lock mine in the closet. They are so loud, I hate it when they interrupt my nap!

:-)

We have something planned for most days. Park days, library day, clean up day, stuff like that.

Good luck!!
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    I just tie them up in the basement and just throw food and water down there.....They manage okay:laugh:

Totally kidding....I work and they stay with my mom!! We live in a lake community with beaches and a pool a short walk down the road:) They will be there with my mom most of the summer, I'll even head down there to hang with them for a little while when I get home from work!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Is he interested in any team sports? Check with the local school district or the YMCA, sometimes they run week long day camps geared for kids his age for specific sports. Even if he is interested in a couple different ones it will get him off his butt for a couple weeks lol