Back to the gym and scale not moving?

Options
I started back at the gym a month ago today and the scale has not moved! I am working out 3 days a week doing cardio and weight lifting. I have been adding more protein to my diet and watching what I eat for the most part. Has this ever happen to anyone? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• robharlan
    robharlan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This happened to me also. I was told it may be water weight. As you lift, your muscles retain more water to help them repair. I took a week off from lifting between programs, and I lost another 4lbs. Also, make sure you keep accurate records of what you eat, sometimes you eat more calories than what you think.....I was.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Keep it going! You may not see a change on the scale so it might be better to mark your progress with something else. Photos? or belt notches? Or T-shirt size.

For me, my first 8 pounds melted off really quickly.... probably in the first couple months of MFP. I've been plateau'd for about 6 months now and I'm starting to lose ground. BUT I'm able to wear a medium T-shirt now without feeling constricted. Also, I'm on my last belt notch and I have to make a new hole... on the INSIDE of my belt instead of the tail end.

Look for your non-scale victories. The scale doesn't give you a complete picture.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    And it could be that you're not eating enough??
  • KnittingKnadine
    Options
    I have been stuck at the same weight for months. Take your measurements! I have not been losing weight, but inches are coming off still. I've even started taking pictures (just sports bra and shorts) every few months. It has really helped me see the changes that aren't just numbers. But definitely check your measurements. You might be slimming down but not necessarily losing weight. Also, drink a lot of water. if it is water weight, that will help.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You need to be taking measurements (neck, waist, hips, etc.) and weighing. There are going to be times where you will lose inches and not pounds. The scale isn't always the best indicator of progress.