How important is breakfast?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have no science to back up the following facts, all I can speak to is MY experience. Like you, I used to never eat breakfast. I never used to be that hungry in the morning, because I used to eat at night and whenever I felt like it basically. This lifestyle allowed my weight to creep up to 270. I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, so I decided to change through diet.

Since starting on this weight loss journey a little over 2.5 months ago, I've been eating my Steel Cut Oatmeal for breakfast religiously. I find I can get by with a small low carb salad for lunch because of that, and then a normal healthy dinner (protein and lots of veggies and water.). Then, nothing to eat after 7 pm. This way..... I find I am once again hungry in the morning, and I look forward to eating my breakfast and starting my day again that way.

So 12 weeks into this new way of eating, and I've lost 43 pounds so far, using very moderate exercise (walking 2 miles each night). I'm at 227 and I feel great. I'm continuing to do this, and will start to re-introduce more of the foods I've been avoiding (high starch foods: banana's etc.) in an effort to slow down the weight loss as I approach my goal (190).

For me....breakfast is a HUGE part of my strategy. Without it, I would be more likely to be really hungry at lunch time, and then binge at dinner time. And Steel Cut Oatmeal (not rolled oats), is a winner in my books.

Good luck in your journey.

Agree with all of the people who say that it doesn't matter when you eat, physiologically, in THEORY.

BUT The National Weight Control Registry has identified that one of the key things that people who have lost weight and kept it off in the long term have in common is that they eat breakfast.

RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES:
    A cross-sectional study in which 2959 subjects in the NWCR completed demographic and weight history questionnaires as well as questions about their current breakfast consumption. All subjects had maintained a weight loss of at least 13.6 kg (30 lb) for at least 1 year; on average these subjects had lost 32 kg and kept it off for 6 years.

RESULTS:
    A large proportion of NWCR subjects (2313 or 78%) reported regularly eating breakfast every day of the week. Only 114 subjects (4%) reported never eating breakfast. There was no difference in reported energy intake between breakfast eaters and non-eaters, but breakfast eaters reported slightly more physical activity than non-breakfast eaters (p = 0.05).

DISCUSSION:
    Eating breakfast is a characteristic common to successful weight loss maintainers and may be a factor in their success.

http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

Something to bear in mind...

I guess not all of us are common. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    To me, science or not it makes sense to eat breakfast. Your body needs fuel to function properly, metabolism, blood sugars, insulin levels, brain activity.... etc. Why would you not fuel yourself for the morning???
    If you have "fuel" to do your workout (it takes time to digest food and store it) then why eat it if you're not hungry and if meal timing is insignificant?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mia_1980
    mia_1980 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz told me that eating breakfast will help me lose weight and keep me satiated throughout the day.
    lol
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i don't eat it. i noticed that when i ate breakfast i was only doing it because i was "programmed" to and felt like i had to. so i would robotically go into the kitchen and make breakfast and eat it. only to later think about how i wasn't even hungry and that i was doing A LOT of my meals that way.

now i eat when im hungry. which RARELY includes breakfast. my coffee and giant glass of water are more than enough to get me through to lunch.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    cum hoc ergo propter hoc

Wow... you speak latin, you must be SO clever!

Seriously, if you want to succeed in something, looking at the behaviours of other people who have achieved your goal makes sense. Of course, eating breakfast isn't necessary in order to lose weight and maintain that loss. 4% of long term maintainers in the study NEVER eat it.
  • mia_1980
    mia_1980 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    im not a big breakfast eater. I can really go without it, that is why I could never understand why I am overweight. However, my experience is that if you eat breakfast you are able to control your appetite throughout the day. I noticed people saying that they save their calories for dinner. I would not do that because your body is less active around then unless you work out in the evening. Think about it, your body burn calories slower in the evening unless you are an active evening person.
    Now my breakfasts consist of a shake, or organo coffee, or a boiled egg and slice of toast. If im on the run, I may grab some grapes in a sandwich ziplock bag.

I have noticed that having a big breakfast has no benefit for me.

So If you tend to eat big in the evenings or have cravings at night, I would try to eat a small breakfast, larger lunch, and moderate dinner.

If you have no problem controlling your appetite and calories when skipping breakfast then do what works.
    At the end of the day its all about calories vs calories out.
    I realized if I skip breakfast and have a mcdonalds meal for lunch and then dinner, I basically eating more calories in 2 meals than i would have if I had eaten breakfast.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have no science to back up the following facts, all I can speak to is MY experience. Like you, I used to never eat breakfast. I never used to be that hungry in the morning, because I used to eat at night and whenever I felt like it basically. This lifestyle allowed my weight to creep up to 270. I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, so I decided to change through diet.

Since starting on this weight loss journey a little over 2.5 months ago, I've been eating my Steel Cut Oatmeal for breakfast religiously. I find I can get by with a small low carb salad for lunch because of that, and then a normal healthy dinner (protein and lots of veggies and water.). Then, nothing to eat after 7 pm. This way..... I find I am once again hungry in the morning, and I look forward to eating my breakfast and starting my day again that way.

So 12 weeks into this new way of eating, and I've lost 43 pounds so far, using very moderate exercise (walking 2 miles each night). I'm at 227 and I feel great. I'm continuing to do this, and will start to re-introduce more of the foods I've been avoiding (high starch foods: banana's etc.) in an effort to slow down the weight loss as I approach my goal (190).

For me....breakfast is a HUGE part of my strategy. Without it, I would be more likely to be really hungry at lunch time, and then binge at dinner time. And Steel Cut Oatmeal (not rolled oats), is a winner in my books.

Agree with all of the people who say that it doesn't matter when you eat, physiologically, in THEORY.

BUT The National Weight Control Registry has identified that one of the key things that people who have lost weight and kept it off in the long term have in common is that they eat breakfast.

A cross-sectional study in which 2959 subjects in the NWCR completed demographic and weight history questionnaires as well as questions about their current breakfast consumption. All subjects had maintained a weight loss of at least 13.6 kg (30 lb) for at least 1 year; on average these subjects had lost 32 kg and kept it off for 6 years.

RESULTS:
    A large proportion of NWCR subjects (2313 or 78%) reported regularly eating breakfast every day of the week. Only 114 subjects (4%) reported never eating breakfast. There was no difference in reported energy intake between breakfast eaters and non-eaters, but breakfast eaters reported slightly more physical activity than non-breakfast eaters (p = 0.05).

DISCUSSION:
    Eating breakfast is a characteristic common to successful weight loss maintainers and may be a factor in their success.

Weight "questionnaires" are correlation in this instance. Here's one: It's been discovered that people who drive have a 100% higher risk of getting in a car accident than those who doesn't drive. It's also the same with flying. See?

IDEA Fitness member
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    IF > breakfast.
    I don't even have breakfast in my diary (because I am HARDCORE OH YEAH).

But seriously, you have to look at your temperament. If you are the kind of person who binges when hungry, you may want to go with the 5+ meals a day strategy. From a pure efficiency standpoint, skipping breakfast is better, but it probably won't make a noticeable difference til you are already pretty lean.

Personally, I fast 16+ hours per day and maintain sigle-digit body fat, and can move heavy objects weighing SEVERAL TIMES as much as I do, so breakfast is obviously not a requirement for fitness.
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I always start with a cup of coffee which will surpress my appetitie until around 9-9:30 at which time I will eat something. This morning a yogurt. That will hold me until lunch. Now some mornings I eat more and I would much rather have a larger lunch than dinner. I have been doing my Carnation instant breakfast at night for my dinner. Some nights I don't get hungry until around 8:30 or so and it is to late to sit and eat a meal. I will sip on one of them, and it is sweet enough to curb my late night snacking too!
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options

RESULTS:

DISCUSSION:

Weight "questionnaires" are correlation in this instance. Here's one: It's been discovered that people who drive have a 100% higher risk of getting in a car accident than those who doesn't drive. It's also the same with flying. See?

I know that correlation does not necessarily equal causation. But often there is a causal mechanism that links two correlated phenomena. For example, people who eat less calories are correlated with people who weigh less. The causal mechanism is that people who eat less calories than they burn do not store excess calories as fat.

In the case of eating breakfast, the causal mechanism has not been identified for sure (there are various theories, some of which have been mentioned in this thread), but with such a high correlation, I'd say that it is likely that there is something at work here. Not necessarily biological, but perhaps psychological or social.

(PS: Since you are clearly a fan of patronising comments, it's 'those who don't drive', not 'those who doesn't drive', see?)
  • Franzibear
    Franzibear Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually hungry in the morning, and went years without any breakfasts. Since starting to change my diet and looking to lose weight, I have also started to at least have a small snack in the morning (cereal bar during the week, cereal / eggs / some other nice breakfast on weekends), and it's making me feel good! I am sure there's plenty of arguments for either thing, but if you do what you feel comfortable with and it works for you (i.e., you get the results you are aiming for & you feel good), then there is no real reason to change it, I would say.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

RESULTS:

DISCUSSION:

I know that correlation does not necessarily equal causation. But often there is a causal mechanism that links two correlated phenomena. For example, people who eat less calories are correlated with people who weigh less. The causal mechanism is that people who eat less calories than they burn do not store excess calories as fat.

In the case of eating breakfast, the causal mechanism has not been identified for sure (there are various theories, some of which have been mentioned in this thread), but with such a high correlation, I'd say that it is likely that there is something at work here. Not necessarily biological, but perhaps psychological or social.

(PS: Since you are clearly a fan of patronising comments, it's 'those who don't drive', not 'those who doesn't drive', see?)
    Typo I didnt' fix when I went and rewrote it before posting. Happens.
    I'll agree that there may be something social or psychological at work because for years it's been opined that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". It does report of slightly higher activity from breakfast eaters, which does impact calorie usage, so the study doesn't have a constant. How many of the non activity breakfast eaters compared to the non active fasters by percentage would be a good comparison that I'd like to see.

IDEA Fitness member
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    How important are towels?
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Not very important. Try taking the pic again minus the towel.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

this one?

5133274_4290.jpg

everyone has a body but its not the same body.

If breakfast is mandatory and essential and the keystone of your fitness progress, that does not mean it is so for everyone.
    For lots of people it's lunch.

What IS important???

learning how to listen to your body. YOUR OWN BODY. Without the noise pollution of past hangups, addictions, bad habits, overwhelming advice and boredom.

If your body is one that demands breakfast, give it to it.
    If your body is one that demands 6 little meals a day starting at 12 pm, give them to it.

Your body is your spirit's best friend. Not a burden you have to wear and beat up and hate on and force into what other people tll you it SHOULD be.

Follow the care instructions on the tag and love it.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the input! :)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Breakfast kickstarts your metabolism, so you should eat something first thing in the morning. If you're not real hungry, just keep it light - some fruit or toast. But you should eat something to keep your insulin levels even.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Breakfast kickstarts your metabolism, so you should eat something first thing in the morning. If you're not real hungry, just keep it light - some fruit or toast. But you should eat something to keep your insulin levels even.
    Unfounded. Metabolism runs 24 hours a day. This is an myth that's been circulated for decades now.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

this one?

5133274_4290.jpg

everyone has a body but its not the same body.

If breakfast is mandatory and essential and the keystone of your fitness progress, that does not mean it is so for everyone.
    For lots of people it's lunch.

What IS important???

learning how to listen to your body. YOUR OWN BODY. Without the noise pollution of past hangups, addictions, bad habits, overwhelming advice and boredom.

If your body is one that demands breakfast, give it to it.
    If your body is one that demands 6 little meals a day starting at 12 pm, give them to it.

Your body is your spirit's best friend. Not a burden you have to wear and beat up and hate on and force into what other people tll you it SHOULD be.

Follow the care instructions on the tag and love it.
    My x ray specs aren't working............................

IDEA Fitness member
  • rxj22
    rxj22 Posts: 23
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. I am simply not hungry in the morning. Not eating breakfast has not made a negative impact on my physique or performance in the gym.