Going rate for a babysitter

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
We are checking out a new sitter tonight, she's a college girl (a co-worker of mine knows her), not your typical party-er, elementary ed major, she taught my eldest daughters cheer camp (my daughter remembers her). I've basically checked her out.

Soooo she says she charges $3 per hour (not per kid) for 3 hours of her time she'd only make $9.00. I don't think that's fair.
I'm going to feed them beforehand so she doesn't have to fix supper, maybe a snack that I've provided.

What is the going rate for sitters?

I'm in the midwest, that might make a difference?

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Well I just finished a gig and got paid $15.00 / hour.
  • tbolden82
    tbolden82 Posts: 2
    Options
    i would say at least minimum wage 7.00/hour..then if you find she is a very good babysitter pay more or give bonuses, thats what i do
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of such a low rate in my life. Ive been babysitting since i was 15 and never got less then 10/hr. don't think sitters should ever get paid less then that. Watching kids is a tough job ! Im 23 now and I get paid anywhere 10-20 an hour.
  • Silverwish
    Silverwish Posts: 20
    Options
    I am in the Uk and charge £10 an hour , I suppose I am qualified in Childcare and have up to date first aid etc . But even in my late teens I charged £5 minimum an hour !!!
    Hope this helps
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    What's the going rate for a nursery or child care center for the amount of time that you'd need covered? I'd say half-to-three quarters of that depending on the level of professionalism.

Then again, I don't know. I don't have kids and I don't babysit. This topic just interested me. After all, for a college kid, your babysitter doesn't seem to bright.
    -wtk
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    We just started sending out daughter to day care she's two and basically she's going there for a nap from 12:30-3:30 and the lady charges $2 per hour... (She watches two other kids and I guess that's just the going rate for her!)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    My friend is a baby sitter in NYC and makes $18/hr off the books.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Wow - that's pretty awesome. Hire her!! lol The rate in Alberta is $15 - $20 an hour.

Maybe pay her 10/hour..she would be happy with that.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I pay $10/hr for our babysitter. Granted, she is my17 year old neice and I chose to pay her that much, so it would be worth her time.

She feeds, bathes, and puts my son to bed and he LOVES her.

It's Win/Win/Win for all of us!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    3 bucks and hour?!! My sitter is 16 and I pay her 10 per hour. She's superb with my kids and worth every dime.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    My 16 year old daughter gets paid between $10-$12 an hour for the three different people (ages 6-10) that she sits for. I'm in the midwest also.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Mid-Atlantic - I pay $8 an hour for high school and $10 an hour for college (well, that was with two kids - haven't had a sitter with all three yet), and my college girls cancel their other jobs (both work at Chick-fil-A) to come sit for me :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    $10 an hour is the going rate here.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    That's cheap!
    When I was in high school and babysitting, I'd usually get $20 or $30 for a night of babysitting 1-2 kids. Obviously less than minimum wage but babysitting doesn't usually get minimum wage.
    For 3 hours for three kids, I'd give her $30.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Cool, most people are thinking what I was, somewhere around $10 an hour. I think she'd be tickled.

I just didn't want to hand her that and her be insulted, when I'm thinking I was doing something good. :blushing:

Thanks!
  • JadedSouls
    JadedSouls Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I was a nanny for a local family I was getting 10/hr and that was 18yrs ago..

My son now babysits and gets anywhere from 5$-20$ an hour, depending on how many kids and how long.. His regular family he sits for most Saturdays just give him $20 for the evening but he has fridge priviledges, xbox, computer etc as well there..
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I have a 6 yo and a 9 yo. I pay between $12 and $15 per hour depending on the babysitter. My son has ADHD and is high maintenance so I usually pay on the higher end and the babysitter I prefer to use is in college taking classes in in child development.

BTW - I'm in Illinois
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    We pay $5 an hour for my two. The sitter really only "watches" them for an hour or so before they go to bed.
    So the rest of the night is just watching tv, playing on the computer or whatever..... she is just hanging out at that point.
    We are in Washington state.....