Logging diet sodas or no calorie items?

Options
Do any of you log diet sodas or no calorie items?

Replies

• myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I drink a good bit of green tea and 99% of the time don't log it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've had a diet soda since I started MFP but no, I do not log no calorie items.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I don't. Or if I do it's as water. I try to separate my water from my non-water liquids, though.
  • lil_bear0811
    Options
    I log everything. If you hit a speed bump or start to feel like you're retaining water, knowing how much of the diet sodas or non-calorie items you're consuming can help you narrow down where you might need to make changes.
  • carysj
    carysj Posts: 22
    Options
    I log diet sodas but not herbal teas. My reasoning is that even though diet sodas are low calorie they still have junk in them (e.g. aspartame), in comparison to my herbal teas which are caffeine free with nothing but dried fruit and natural flavourings.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I log my Diet Cokes as they do have sodium.
  • Saprina_Danise
    Saprina_Danise Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING!!! Even though diet soda has no calories it has sodium ect. wich causes you to retain water.My goal is to truely be healthy no just thin So I like to also keep track of everything I put into my body.
  • djkamin60
    djkamin60 Posts: 88
    Options
    Yes, I log them as they do have sodium, which can lead to water retention.
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of sobe lifewater zero and I log them all.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    No, I never have. I'm only worried about my calorie intake anyway. Besides, I drink it maybe 1-2 times a week. I like aspartame though. Lol. :)
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I log my diet sodas and my calcium chews (but they have 15 cals). I do it mainly for the sodium. My kidney dr. has been telling me for years to limit my sodium intake. I thought I was by just not adding salt to my food after it is prepared. MFP was an eye opener for sure!! Now before I look at calories on a food or drink, I check the sodium 1st.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I log everything. If you hit a speed bump or start to feel like you're retaining water, knowing how much of the diet sodas or non-calorie items you're consuming can help you narrow down where you might need to make changes.

I completely agree with this. Plus if you are looking to improve your overall health and not just lose weight it is great to be able to look back at everything you eat or drink and see where you can make healthier choices :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not usually - though I don't drink diet drinks. I don't log black coffee, green tea, unflavoured soda water, salt added to meals etc.
    I also don't get too stressed about being 100% accurate for the weight of spinach, fresh herbs, spices etc, as their calorie amounts are so low.
    If you have concerns about sodium though, it is worth logging all those extras, although they have calories, they often have added sodium etc.
    Also, be aware that if you are consuming a LOT of a "0 calorie" food you will be taking in some calories. US law allows things to be labelled 0 calories when they are very low cals per serving. This means that while 1 pickle is close enough to 0 calories, the whole jar might contain 40 (or something) cals. Still a low number, but not 0.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Yes there are other things in these non calorie items which may have an impact on your goals. If something begins to go wrong you can zero in on the problem by looking at your "complete" log. If it goes into my body I put it into my log.
  • ninu13
    ninu13 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    yes! some items have lots of sodium :drinker:
  • ajbltn
    ajbltn Posts: 57
    Options
    I log everything. It's not,always about how much you're eating but WHAT you're eating. Sodium, carbs, your vitamins. This site lets you see your intake of everything for the day. Not just calories. I could eat under my calorie goal all the time but if my body isn't getting everything it needs then I'll never lose anything... I'd log it.
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I usually do, I may skip one or 2 here and there but usually I log all, even spices, even if it is 0 calories, sometimes, there are other things like sodium etc that should be recorded if you care about macros. =)
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    In general I don;t log anything with fewer than 10 calories, unless there is a reason to log it. For example, I will log lettuce and celery because I want to be able to see later that yes I did eat some veggies. But diet soda- I drink one a day and don't generally log it, same with tea and black coffee.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    diet soda has about 1 percent of the recommended sodium intake for your day. if you don't log it in there, I think you're OK.

(and I don't track sodium anyway, so there's that.)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I don't really log anything that's under 5 calories. I'm not worried about sodium or anything like that, though.