Anyone else TTC (trying to conceive)?

Options
I'm looking for friends who are in the same TTC boat as me, as I think our requirements for food and exercise can sometimes be unique.

Because of TTC, I won't use anything artificial (no fake foods, no fake sweeteners) which can sometimes make it harder to eat because I won't use any of the low cal food options due to chemicals/additives in them.

I'm also avoiding all foods high in natural estrogens right now, like soy, which can be bad for TTC too (depends on your issues though - I've been at it 5 years and I have high estrogen so it's better for a low estrogen diet for me).

Exercise baffles me though too. I know too much can inhibit ovulation, implantation, etc. so trying to find the balance can be hard. I would love to find people to talk to this about and discuss options!!

Feel free to add me and maybe we can chat here or something (I'm still new at all this - well, new to MFP)

Replies

• carakline
    carakline Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm not in the same boat as you. Actually, kind of the opposite---trying to reverse damage done by pregnancy. But I just wanted to throw you a ((hug)) and good luck!
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yes :) Just got off of birth control 2 weeks ago and just got back from vacation, so aside from tyring to get pregnant I am trying to get the vacation weight back off!
  • NurseAshoRN
    NurseAshoRN Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not there just yet but that is one of my end goals, to lose the weight and have a happy healthy pregnancy :)
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have pcos and have been with my husband for 12 years w/ no kiddos. Although we have not been actively ttc I know this is something on my horizon just scared to go to the docs and be put on all of the drugs etc.

Good Luck!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Not anymore but I was for 3 years so I have picked up some good tips..

Preseed has worked for a lot of people I know. Use OPKs. Try a BBT thermometer (Basal Body Temp) Take cod liver oil. Try evening primrose oil capsules but read about taking EPO while TTC first as you can only take it in the first 2 weeks of your cycle.

For men fruit and veg galore, VitD and Zinc, Brazil nuts, decaf tea and coffee (for women too) more zinc, Wellman capsules

xx
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am TTC. I also have some rather unique issues that go with it.
  • Chrisborro
    Chrisborro Posts: 85
    Options
    I am looking forward to getting pregnant again. Not sure its in the cards for me though. I have 2 healthy kids. Oldest is 13. Was obese for both. Wonder what it would be like to be skinny and prego..
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm TTC but I've been at my goal weight since November.

Those low cal fake foods are so bad for anyone not just us so good for you in ditching them. As for the exercise thing, I haven't seen anything showing that exercise inhibits ovulation or implantation - exercise is even more important during this phase and throughout so just keep doing it. I think NOT exercising would be a worse result.

Try and stay away from google and forums (even this one!) for things like real information. I've been listening to podcasts (pregtastic is a good one) with real mamas to be and pick up one good book for the facts. But for sure add me for all that other support!
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I never did any testing or diet changes. It took my five years to conceive. Then with my second I took Clomid. Was pregnant in about a month. First one I was in nursing school. Second, I was planning nursing school. Hadnt been excepted, took clomid, got excepted, stopped clomid to finish my school. Was pregnant again, in nursing school. LOL So, when I started my BSN, I was super cautious on not getting pregnant!
  • stacenee14
    stacenee14 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am sorta in the same boat as you. We were TTC end of last summer but discovered some health problems which resulted in a surgery in october and im going in for another in July. So We have put off TTC until after July. I havent really thought about changing eating/drinking habits but its definitly a good thing to look into. Thanks for all the great advice from the other posters as well!!
  • crownedbee
    crownedbee Posts: 10
    Options
    My husband and I have been TTC just over 4 years now. I am staying away from soy as well. I don't have high estrogen, but I already have a hard time with my hormones being out of whack thanks to PCOS, I don't need something else contributing to that. I'm also on Metformin and under the care of a reproductive endocrinologist, but we won't be doing any more medicated cycles until next May. I'm using this year to lose as much weight as I can to better my chances, as well as hoping for a spontaneous pregnancy of course.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm done have babies, which is a little sad because I loved being pregnant. Walking is always a wonderful exercise no matter what you are trying to do though. Good luck!
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This is one of my goals to TTC once I get to a healthy weight so I can have a healthy pregnancy hopefully be able to gain weight the right amout than i did when I got pregnant with my daughter.
  • raingirl32
    raingirl32 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many responses!

I am also under the care of an RE and have my own issues (not many, very minor but enough to cause fertility problems). I've always been told by our RE to only do moderate/light exercise while TTC. I guess each doc has their own rules.

I previously lost 30lbs with LoseIt! but switched to MFP as the database I think is much better and an easier interface. But after 5 years of waiting and not doing something "just in case" I'm sick of it. I think I'm going to just ignore TTC and start working really hard on my body for a bit and see what happens.
  • wisefish
    wisefish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am not TTC as I have a 3 year old and an 8 month old!! Trying to lose 25 lbs of baby weight first- Maybe going to try for #3 in a while but have to convince DH first :)

I wish you all luck- have you read Taking Charge of your Fertility? It's an amazing book with LOTS of great info, not just for women wanting to get pregnant but for any woman. I highly recommend. Also, Making Babies is a good read.

my DD was an accident (even took morning after pill!) but with DB we used pre-seed, OPKs, and I charted. Lots of work but worth it I think.

Good luck to all!
  • LittleLolita
    Options
    My husband and I are TTC, but we just started last month so nothing really exciting has happened yet. As far as I know I don't have any special diet or health issues to go along with TTC, but I guess that's something you discover as you go.
    Until it actually happens, I'm just going on my merry way and getting in shape! I figure getting in shape now will hopefully make it easier to get back in shape after a baby comes along.

I'm always up for having friends with similar goals or life situations to my own so feel free to add me :)