Back Ache

Options
Hey everyone. I'm baaaack. I was gone for a while, but during the time I was here I was doing pretty good. Lost my computer and lost track or myself for a while, but now I'm back, and right back where I started. Anywho...

I obviously have weight issus, so my question today is this...

Who has suggestions for excercises that won't put a whole lot of strain on the lower back?

See, I was in an accident about a year ago, and since then I've been having lower back problems, and any excercise I do, which is basically walking, and cleaning, kills my back. I'm not very good with pain, and the over-the-counter stuff doesn't help, and I'm not into Rx's to kill pain...I know too many people addicted...anywho...ideas...please. AND thank you!

ALC

Replies

• Talieowl
    Talieowl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Swimming and water aerobics both keep the pressure off the back. You actually probably need to strengthen your back muscles. Do you have a doctor or physical therapist you can talk to about exercises that would help strengthen the back muscles, which will then help alleviate pressure on your spine? If not, you might be able to find some online. Yoga can also help, but since you have an injury, you will want to work with an authorized instructor who can tell you which positions to avoid and how to do them properly. Good luck, and welcome back.
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    STOP

Before you begin anything, you need to go for athletic or physio therapy to set you up on a program. Doing exercises without a proper assessment is STUPID and DANGEROUS. (been there myself so I know)

Background

I've 20+ years back pain off and on. I was even hospitalized because of the pain (spasming woudn't stop for more than 5 seconds at a time). Over the counter stuff does nothing. I have lived with constant pain (at a 5-6 out of 10 with 10 being back labour for child delivery (confirmed through a friend of mine as a comparison)). I used drugs only when necessary and never take the full dose as I use the amount of pain to determine how I am healing (anti-inflammatory, muscle-relaxent, nerve pain killer). I always have reserves just in case of relapse.

If you are going to do anything, do swimming or eliptical - no impact.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. My trainer added Core strengthing exercise.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Actually, be very careful with swimming. I too have lower back problems. Unless you are careful to use the correct form, you can strain your lower back (some people tend to "dip" their backs when swimming..bad bad bad)

Getting some PT is a great idea. They can show you proper stretching and core building exercises that will help your back. This is very important.

On a treadmill or any eliptical, do NOT do inclines. This can also cause you to use bad form putting strain on your lower back. I would also skip any exercises that use weights when working your core, at least initially. You need to build those muscles up. And by the way, core is more than abs and back muscles. It's also hips and thighs. Most of all, get some excellent stretching exercises, that include core, quads, hamstrings and calves. Do those when your muscles are warm. I do them after I exercise and sometimes at night before bed. Good luck.
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    IcyHot :wink:

I have a bad neck and use the cream. God, it burns like crazy and everyone smells it --- but no more neck pain :bigsmile:
  • Amber42803
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the wonderful advice. I'll talk to my doctor (whom I haven't seen in quite some time) and find out what he recommends. Until then I'll just take it easy and do some lighter stuff. Thanks again everyone...you're all awsome!

ALC:heart:

178464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart