balancing my food but im sooo hungry???

Options
Ok, so Im new and the first week or so I tracked my food to see where i was intake wise. Now this week, I am working at being really diligent about watching what i eat and when i eat it, etc.... only problem is, even though im eating healthier and cutting back on my snacks, i am sooo hungry!! I am not sure if its because Ive become so dependent on snacks or if i truly need to be eating more. Im using MFP as a guideline for where i should fall for calories and all that, but I am also breastfeeding... which gives me an extra 500 calories, but it doesnt show carbs, fat, protein ... that would associate with additional caloric intake. Im so lost (and hungry!).

any thoughts, suggestions/ideas would be great! What have you done when you found yourself hungry after meeting your mark on the numbers???

Replies

• suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Up your water intake! I read somewhere that sometimes when we think we're hungry, we're really thirsty...
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Well for starters your diary isn't public so no one can see what you're eating.

The easiest advice would be to eat more protein. First make sure you're getting enough and maybe add to that. Protein keeps you full longer. Try greek yogurt, chicken breasts etc.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi , and welcome to MFP :)

If you are hungry you should eat, but you should also ask yourself are you really hungry? When I statrted it took me a while to figure out if i was hungry or just wanted something, or if i was actually thirsty.

Another good tip is to look at your protein, many times when we cut calories we end up eating food that are low in cal but also low in protein and fiber which dont keep us feeling full and satisfied. I manage to eat a lot of food and still stay within my cal limits 1400-1500 daily.

Try adding foods like egg whites (low in cal high in protein), lean chicken, tuna....

I manage to eat a lot of food and still stay within my cal limits 1400-1500 daily. I have chosen to only share my diary with my frineds, if you would like to add me feel free and you can browse.

Good Luck :)
  • countesscresta
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what others said. I'd also add that eating breakfast is key to kick starting your metabolism in the morning. When I tend to eat more than my allotted calorie amount, I try to make it up in exercise. Even a 30 minute walk after a meal makes a huge difference to your calories, but also to your hunger.

I was just reading a study that said that people that try to change 2 bad habits at the same time have an easier time than just changing one. Maybe there's something to that...I have noticed that I don't snack as poorly when I exercise regularly.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Ill up the water and protein... Im noticing that when Im really hungry I go for something carb heavy ... like really carb heavy... my food diary is kind of embarassing to me.. it starts out so good in the morning and then completely tanks between lunch and dinner. Ill give the protein and water a try and see where that puts me for the next week or so...
  • Gingersfit
    Gingersfit Posts: 31
    Options
    I agree wiht the protein intake. When I first started tracking my food I realized just how unbalanced I was towards carbs. So I'm trying to increase my protein intake a lot. It's interesting that when I eat carbs I feel full right away but then get hungry faster. Protein doesn't seem to make me feel as full as fast but I don't get hungry as quickly.

Keep it up!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Ensure you are eating enough calories. Far too often people tend to eat a lot less than they need to in order to lose weight faster.

Make sure you get enough protein (MFP goals are normally low), have protein with every meal/snack and ensure you get enough fibre. Get exercise in so your calories go up a bit and fill those with good foods. Make sure you are drinking enough water too as our bodies tend to confuse thirst with hunger.