How long did it take until you hit a platue??

Options
I need to put my mind at ease about this. I think I'm being overly paranoid! I've only been "hardcore" dieting for about 2 weeks now but Im worried about hitting a platue... like worried to the point where I'm already trying to avoid one by cutting back on meal sizes a little bit. I have anxiety issues if you couldn't tell Lol Any advise would be appriciated :o) Thanks!

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    It really depends on each individual person. Since you have a lower amount of pounds to lose, it will come off more slowly, but that does not necessarily mean you've hit a plateau. Good luck!
  • pkizzle7
    pkizzle7 Posts: 26
    Options
    My first 5 fell off quick. I think around 8 lbs lost I hit a little plateau. I lost another 6-7 easily and hit another plateau. Seems like it has repeated in that fashion for myself. Keep working hard at it and you will conquer.....
  • lunatletica
    Options
    I feel the same way... at least I don't feel alone anymore in my crazy worrying :)

What I have read below is that it is normal for your body to not loose weight for a week or two, and if that happens, you can either increase exercise or change your diet routines, but without eating less than your calorie budget.

I am in a plateau right now and freaking a little, so I am looking forward to other responses.

Good luck!
  • Phoenyxtears
    Phoenyxtears Posts: 173
    Options
    It varies by person, what they are doing and what their routine is. I hit mine May 5th, and it ended this week.
  • Seginns
    Seginns Posts: 39
    Options
    I've only lost 4lbs and I seem to be stuck. I've lost a little (1/4 of an inch) from my waist over the last three weeks but the scales haven't budged. I'm on the 1/2 pound per week plan and am going to drop my calories from 1450 to 1350 to see if it helps.
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    I've only lost 4lbs and I seem to be stuck. I've lost a little (1/4 of an inch) from my waist over the last three weeks but the scales haven't budged. I'm on the 1/2 pound per week plan and am going to drop my calories from 1450 to 1350 to see if it helps.

I wouldn't do that. I hit my plateau because I dropped my caloric intake and wasn't paying attention to my net calories. Your net cals need to be at least 1200 so your body actual functions and you don't go into starvation mode. MFP already creates a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Ask your doc before dropping it that low.
  • Mojave69
    Mojave69 Posts: 40
    Options
    I hit a two week frustrating b*****d of one at about 195 pounds! I read a couple of threads about them and gave up 2 days down at the gym and running a week and it seemed to ride itself out!. Its not the nicest feeling about and is well frustrating but I'd say just have a little patience if you have hit one. Hope that is of some help!
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It varies by person, what they are doing and what their routine is. I hit mine May 5th, and it ended this week.

One month?!?! Wow - I think I would go crazy! How did you stay motivated? Congrats on coming out of it! In the past 2 weeks, I've gained 7lbs. Some of that has to do with a new scale (I'm sure my old one was way off since I would always move the needle a nudge to get it right on 0), but I'm hoping that some of that has to do with muscle gain too. I've noticed it in my legs (started the C25K program) and my arms are less flabby.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I lost 19 pounds in 4 months, then I hit a brick wall. In April I lost 2 pounds. In May, I teetered back and forth with .5 of a pound. In April, though I only lost 2 pounds, I lost about 5 inches that month. In May, I lost neither weight or inches. So, I guess I am on about week 6 of this stupid plateau.

I have changed up my fiber / protein a bit, and am making an effort to eat more. In a week or 2, if it doesn't start budging again, I will change my goal to either "maintaining" or .5 loss a week, and eat more for a couple of weeks, then drop to losing 1 / week again, see if that will shake things up a little.
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options

One month?!?! Wow - I think I would go crazy! How did you stay motivated? Congrats on coming out of it! In the past 2 weeks, I've gained 7lbs. Some of that has to do with a new scale (I'm sure my old one was way off since I would always move the needle a nudge to get it right on 0), but I'm hoping that some of that has to do with muscle gain too. I've noticed it in my legs (started the C25K program) and my arms are less flabby.

I lost motivation and kept *****ing about it on my blog. My sorority sisters helped me recover my motivation by just texting, FB, tweeting, emailing, calling...basically annoying me (lol) to stay on track.

What really did it was changing my routine and realizing I let my body slip into the beginnings of starvation mode. It really isn't a good feeling to plateau, but it happens to everyone. I changed from Zumba and my elliptical everyday to this boot camp at a gym I joined, more Wii stuff, and more weights. There's just something in the routine that needs to be changed.

A new scale always helps. I use my Wii balance board and three bathroom scales and average them just in case one becomes uncalibrated. It's work, but it's worth it.
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    I've been doing this 3 weeks now and every week have a panic attack about whether i've lost anything. So far so good but i'm dreading the week I dont lose anything let alone hit a plateau. Good luck
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    I've been doing this 3 weeks now and every week have a panic attack about whether i've lost anything. So far so good but i'm dreading the week I dont lose anything let alone hit a plateau. Good luck
  • brittanydittman
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the MFP thing since mid-April and my SCALE has plateaued since the beginning of May. However, in that time, I've lost 11lbs of PURE FAT and gained 5lbs of pure muscle, plus now I'm carrying an extra 2lbs of water weight for a few days because well, I'm a chick and it frickin happens once a month, not a big deal.

So just because your scale plateaus, it doesn't mean your body is ;)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Exactly, just keep on eating healthy stuff and exercise, if you don't lose weight for one week, then that's probably just a natual blip in the weight loss journey. I started graphing my weight loss (I use an app called Track Weight) so I can see the patterns, and after a few months I could see a pattern of losing for 3 -4 weeks, staying the same or increasing for a week, then back to losing again. Don't panic, try to look for the big picture patterns not the small variations.
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    how did your weigh in go??
    My pattern so far has been loss, no loss, loss, no loss.
    I feel like I'm doing everything right so I'm not disheartened, plus my body fat has reduced by 3% yay
  • Karenzky
    Karenzky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    first two weeks of low calorie diet i've lost 10 lbs I'm 180 lbs before now 170, but its almost 10 days and i haven't lost any, i just hope to get over this phase soon, don't want to be demotivated
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I didn't hit a plateau for seven months when I started dieting. Since then it seems like I've hit nothing but plateaus. Every person's weight loss journey will be different, so don't stress out about it unless you actually hit one.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I haven't hit one yet. I do tend to gain a pound or two over the weekends, but by the time I weigh in they have gone and taken some friends with them. I think my case is that I'm a "skinny fat" type, where my body says I should be skinny, but through abuse, overeating, and laziness I sort of forced it to be fat.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the person. I've known people who have never hit one, and then there ate people like me who seem to have one all the time!!! Lol.