Hula Hoop

Options

Replies

• lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    there is a fitness program that uses hoops if you want to check it out.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    it depends on what kind of hooping you are doing, and how much you are putting into it.
    Some sources say up to 600 cal./hr. but I think that is a high estimate.
    If you are doing hoop fitness say with a weighted hoop I could think somewhere around 350-450/hr.
    Hoop dance could burn more or less depending on how much you are engaging your body.
    I know that isnt a straight answer, but it really will depend on how hard you are rockin'. ;)

I use the weighted hoop and typically burn about 150 per half hour...you have to make sure you are really being active though....I'd recommend the weighted ones; they are awesome!
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    With my weighted hoop I burn around 220 for 30 mins.
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MissRinnyPoo
    Options
    Wow, that sounds amazing. I hope you find out the calories burned, I'm curious!
  • MissRinnyPoo
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I put an exercise up with a rough estimate based off the data given in the thread. I underestimated it slightly, so if there is a margin of error it's a beneficial one.
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I bought a weighted hula hoop about a month ago, and I still can't do it. I've looked at various videos on You Tube, but i still can't do it.
  • TracyTucci
    TracyTucci Posts: 35
    Options
    bump
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    I bought a weighted hula hoop about a month ago, and I still can't do it. I've looked at various videos on You Tube, but i still can't do it.

What sort of problem are you having? Just a hard time keeping it up?
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I weigh 154 & am 5'6" & my HRM says I burn 430 calories within an hour of hooping. I go at a pretty fast pace. It's a great exercise!(:
  • Sunpoet
    Sunpoet Posts: 67
    Options
    I have a hoop too and cannot seem to do it to save my life which surprises me because it was one of my favorite activities as a kid. Now, I can't even make it one full revolution without it falling. It's just a plain one, non-weighted but is adult size. I'd have to measure to get the exact dimensions. What am I doing wrong?
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying & don't let yourself get frustrated! I could NEVER do it as a kid & I wanted to learn a while ago. It took me a few weeks of trying & now I can do it perfect & for a really long time. You guys will get it eventually! (:
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can get it to go round once, and that's only because your hands make it go round, then it falls down round my knees and to the floor.

quote]

What sort of problem are you having? Just a hard time keeping it up?
    [/quote]
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    To keep the hoop up,
    Stand with your right foot a step ahead of your left (this extends your hip out ever so slightly)
    While standing in the hoop place the back of the hoop on the small of your back and hold the hoop at about 4 oclock and 8 oclock.
    Make sure the hoop is nice and level in the front, sides and back.
    Most people are left current hoopers, meaning they push the hoop to the left. Try that direction first.
    So back your hoop up a bit to the right, then with a good hard Level shove, push your hoop around your waist to the left.
    Do this a couple of times without trying to keep it up. Just push it and let it fall. Dont move your hips yet.
    Get used to how hard you are pushing the hoop and see if you can detect a rhythm.
    Once you are ready push the hoop firmly around again, and start rocking back and forth while pumping through your leg. So imaging you have your foot on a gas pedal. You will be able to see your foot going up and down on the pedal while keeping your heel on the ground. Rock back and forth, try not to swivel your body, this will send it down like a corkscrew everytime.
    If your hoop is slowing down, try to pick up the pace. You control the speed of your hoop by how fast you pump your body.
    IF this still doesnt seem right reverse your current....So start at the beginning, but this time push the hoop to the right, and keep going.

If this doesnt help, or if it is confusing, let me know and I can make you a little video. :)
    Dont loose heart! You totally can!!!!!
  • Zerashen
    Options
    I have a hoop too and cannot seem to do it to save my life which surprises me because it was one of my favorite activities as a kid. Now, I can't even make it one full revolution without it falling. It's just a plain one, non-weighted but is adult size. I'd have to measure to get the exact dimensions. What am I doing wrong?

I know! I had one as a kid too and remembered loving it, so I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I forgot all about my hula hoop. I loved hula hooping as a kid. I bought one a few years ago and discovered I can't keep it above my knees anymore. It has been hanging in the garage ever since. Maybe I will make it my June goal to re-learn to hula hoop. My waist would thank me.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    I seem to pretty consistently hit about 8 kcals/minute with my hoop (38" made of 3/4" 100 psi tubing)

I adore it.

For bruising, arnica gel is a MUST! I was having a lot of trouble with my left hip and my shins and this helped me heal up pretty quickly.
  • mumx5
    mumx5 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Zerashen
    Options
    I've gotten to where I can keep it up for about a spin or two. :D Not much progress, but progress nonetheless.