PULLING WEEDS/.CALORIES

Options
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY CALORIES YOU BURN PULLING WEEDS OR DOING YARD WORK?

Replies

• Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I just enter it in as gardening.
  • ilenem
    ilenem Posts: 25
    Options
    Check out gardening by clicking on the exercise database.
  • susandersons06
    Options
    I agree ~ Gardening is the closest match.
    BUT It depends how vigorous you work as to whether or not pulling weeds matches Gardening for calories burned.
    If you are not putting in a ton of effort, you may want to cut the time spent in half to get a true reading.
    Gardening entails digging, pulling & planting. I would guess that digging burns more calories than pulling etc etc.
    :wink:
  • tksteps
    tksteps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found this article while trying to figure out what to put on myfitnesspal.com
    list for today....
    Doing yardwork may not be on your list of exercises to burn calories, but
    perhaps it should be. Depending on how much you weigh and the type of work you
    do, you can burn 240 to 448 calories per hour. In general, the more you weigh
    and the more vigorous the activity, the more calories you burn.

Calories Burned at 125 Pounds
    A person weighing about 125 pounds burns approximately 240 calories an hour
    doing activities such as raking the lawn, sacking leaves or grass, and planting
    seedlings or shrubs. Mowing the lawn with a power push mower burns about 270
    calories per hour, and pulling weeds burns 278. Chores that burn approximately
    300 calories per hour include digging or spading dirt and laying sod or crushed
    rock. Mowing the lawn with a hand push mower burns 330 calories per hour, and
    chopping wood burns 360.

Calories Burned at 155 Pounds
    If your weight is approximately 155 pounds, activities such as planting
    seedlings and shrubs, raking the lawn, and sacking leaves or grass should burn
    about 298 calories per hour. At this weight, mowing with a power push mower for
    one hour burns 334 calories, pulling weeds burns 344, and digging dirt or laying
    sod burns about 372. Mowing with a hand push mower burns 410 calories per hour,
    while chopping wood burns 446.

Calories Burned at 185 Pounds
    If you weigh about 185 pounds, planting seedlings and shrubs, raking the lawn,
    and sacking leaves or grass each burns approximately 356 calories per hour. You
    should burn about 400 calories per hour mowing with a power push mower, and
    pulling weeds burns about 410. Burn 444 calories if you lay sod or crushed rock,
    or dig or spade dirt for an hour. Mow with a hand push mower for an hour to burn
    488 calories. Chopping wood burns about 532 calories per hour.

Considerations
    The calculations given for the number of calories burned are not exact. It is
    likely that your weight varies a bit from that used in the calculations, and
    people typically do not do yardwork at a constant rate. For example, if you rake
    the lawn more vigorously than another person, you'll burn more calories than
    that person in the same amount of time. Use the calculations as a guide to help
    you get a general idea of how many calories you burn doing yardwork.

Calories Burned Calculator The Ultimate Healthy Living Toolbar Get Daily Fitness
    References
    Harvard Health Publications: Calories Burned in 30 Minutes for People of Three
    Different Weights; July 2004
    USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans: Weight Management
    Article reviewed by Denise Kelly Last updated on: May 26, 2011

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/372488-how-many-calories-do-you-bur
    n-doing-yardwork/#ixzz1wMrM4500
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I log it, mostly since I will spend 2 or three hours gardening, and be totally exhausted!
  • Fuzzith
    Fuzzith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump