A1C

Options
Here maybe another reason to watch your sugar intake.

I had an A1C test come back at 5.7 and the range is 4.8-5.6. Readings from 5.7 to 6.4 are increased risk for diabetes,
but diabetes doesn’t run in my family so what gives?

I go over my sugar settings every day, but get that from my food. I am 185lbs, was over 200 in December and exercise at the health
club 3-4 times per week...and use MFP every day!

I see my doctor again next week to discuss

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Eating tons of sugar, while not healthy for you will not make you pre-diabetic or even diabetic. There are a few factors that play in there such as your age, any pre-disposing factors such as being overweight or obese and carrying fat around your middle and a few other thinggs which can pre-dispose you to higher than normal glucose levels.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Type II diabetes is "adult onset diabetes" the risk factors include being overweight, having a large waist, etc etc. It isn't just about your family.

Sugar is sugar is sugar. Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate intolerance, you would do well to reduce your sugar and carbohydrate intake.

"Other risk factors for type 2 diabetes include:

Having a first-degree relative with type 2 diabetes. (A first-degree relative is a parent, brother, sister, or child.)
    Being overweight or obese.
    Having a waist measuring more than 31.5 inches (80 cm) if you are a woman or more than 37 inches (94 cm) if you are a man.
    Having impaired glucose tolerance. (Impaired glucose tolerance is when your blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to have diabetes.)
    Having diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance when you were pregnant."
  • indigenousnudity
    Options
    It's great that you work out but diet is the main mover behind type 2 diabetes. I just had my A1C tested and got a 5.1. I have diabetes in my family and I weigh more than 300lbs but I keep carbohydrate to a minimum and don't eat any sugar or grains.
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Most of my "sugar" comes from my food like I said, mostly fruit; bananas, berries, etc. I also drink orange juice, about 1 cup a day.
    I look at my diet and don't see much I can cut. Pizza once a week, I guess.

My waist is close to 31.5, need to remeasure and check.

So if I can't eat grains, how do I keep my cholesterol in check (its 137) if I can't eat oatmeal and whole grains?
    As you can see, I need some education here.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
    Fibrous veggies, nuts, avocado, lower sugar fruits like berries, flax seed meal, all are good fiber foods. The oatmeal and grains are just easy ways to get fiber, which helps control your cholesterol. You don't need grains. I eat very few grains and still get my 30g of fiber a day.

All that fruit you are eating is not a good thing in your situation. Limit your fruit servings to one or two a day, and stop drinking juice. If you want one of your servings of fruit to be orange, eat the orange. You need that fiber and the juice is mostly concentrated sugar.

• VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    OP, A1C levels are a very long term indicator of blood sugar levels...if in the past few months you've had a few "off" days, they will show up in your A1C score. If you've recently lost weight over the past few months, wait a few more months and get them re-taken. Again, A1Cs don't change as rapidly as blood glucose levels - A1Cs are more long term. You are probably fine if you've just lost plenty of weight
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Yeah, lost 20+ pounds since December. I do go over my carb limit from time to time so I will watch that too. The sugar is from fruit but I eat that for the potassium(hypertension), probably just one serving now at breakfast only.My waist is 35 inches just below the navel(I just measure) so I have some more to go. I'll see what the doc says next week and report back.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Please listen to Yarwell. He's absolutely right. You're barely outside of the normal range so that's good. You caught it early. I'm glad.you're going back to see your doctor. Ask if you can be referred to a dietician, not a nutritionist, who specializes in dealing with diabetes. In the meantime, watch your carbs and sugars. Never eat a carb without a fat and/or protein. Pay close attention to serving sizes. 1/2 cup of rice, cooked, is a serving. If you can keep your meals and snack within the 30 to 40 grams of carbs range you'll do well. Sugar isn't necessarily the enemy here. It's carbs in any form that you need to keep an eye on. Protein is your friend as are healthy fats like Olive Oil. Please add me if you'd like. I'm controlling my pre-diabetes with my diet and would be happy to help. I learn new things everyday. I wish you the best.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    OP, A1C levels are a very long term indicator of blood sugar levels...if in the past few months you've had a few "off" days, they will show up in your A1C score. If you've recently lost weight over the past few months, wait a few more months and get them re-taken. Again, A1Cs don't change as rapidly as blood glucose levels - A1Cs are more long term. You are probably fine if you've just lost plenty of weight

That's interesting. I had the A1C levels come back in the pre-diabetic range a while ago, and then my endo had me tested the following week and they were in the normal range; so she said not to worry about it. Honestly, the prospect of being diabetic freaked me out so much that I didn't even try to understand, didn't ask questions, etc. Do you have any thoughts about what could have changed the numbers from one week to the next?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
    Yeah, lost 20+ pounds since December. I do go over my carb limit from time to time so I will watch that too. The sugar is from fruit but I eat that for the potassium(hypertension), probably just one serving now at breakfast only.My waist is 35 inches just below the navel(I just measure) so I have some more to go. I'll see what the doc says next week and report back.

There is a lot of Potassium in vegetables and other foods, with much lower sugar/carbs than fruit. Especially spinach, avocado, tomato, all leafy greens, beans, and dairy.

You can google a list of high Potassium foods, but any vegetable has some. It's really uncommon to see Potassium deficiency, and in fact you don't want to supplement K - it's one of those that you don't want to get too much.