Need Stretching Advice

Options
slinne
slinne Posts: 46 Member
I started walking this week. I have been doing 3 miles around my neighborhood each day first thing in the morning after breakfast. I currently weigh in the 360's, and my legs and knees have been sore all day following my walks. I don't have good running shoes right now because I can't afford them. I know they would make a huge difference and I will get a pair as soon as I can. I guess stretching is the main thing I can change NOW to help with the problem.

I have read on the boards several times that it is important to stretch 5-10 minutes before and after a walk/run, in order to help reduce the soreness. I have tried doing a few stretches but I am really just lost when it comes to this. I don't know what kind of stretches are needed and how to do it properly.

Any advice would be so appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    maybe putting your hands on the wall and scoot your feet back (kind of a push up position) until you feel the stretch in the hamstrings and calf. Hold the stretch as long a you can while breathing.. You should feel this on the backs of your legs. I also suggest getting a rope or a band and use this to help you stretch. Sitting on the floor loop it around your feet and gently pull forward exhaling as you increase your stretch. Don't bounce just hold where you can breathing each time you exhale you can try to go further forward again holding and breathing. You can also stand sideways to a wall for support and try to loop the rope around your foot that is not next to the wall and pull up until you feel a stretch in your quad. Slow and steady with stretching and breathing. Don't push yourself when stretching just take your time. The longer you hold the stretch while breathing the better. I hope this is helpful to you
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    As a former dancer and ballet teacher, this is the advice I would give.

Stretching cold is bad. Don't do it. You should WARM UP before you exercise but I discourage stretching before you are warm. (More seasoned athletes who know their bodies might do certain stretches as part of a warm up but when you're new, you should start a little easier.) Warming up can be as simple as rolling your ankles and bending your knees, and walking in place a little, swinging your arms.

Stretch after your walk. Hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds and DO NOT BOUNCE OR WIGGLE AROUND. Make sure you are breathing slowly and steadily into your stretch.

You'll want to stretch, in addition to your legs, your back as well.

There are a lot of youtube tutorials if you search stretches for beginners. Check them out if you have trouble visualizing what is described.

You'll want to do a basic hamstring stretch, either a forward fold standing or seated (with your legs out in front of you, reaching for your toes, but keeping your back as straight as possible so your belly button and chest reach for your legs instead of hunching over to increase your reach). If you do this seated, take off your shoes and point and flex your feet to stretch them and your shin muscles.

You want to do a quad stretch, which may be hard on your knees if they are already having problems, but basically hold something to steady yourself, keep your knees fairly level and bend one knee, reaching behind to grab your ankle.

To stretch your inner thighs, sit with your legs in as wide a V as you can while still sitting up straight (not hunched over on your spine, but up on your sitz bones) and reach forward like in the hamstring stretch.

To stretch your outer thighs and rear, sit cross legged and reach forward, again like in the hamstring stretch focusing on your posture and not hunching over. Switch which leg is on top and repeat. You also may want to look up some IT band stretches on youtube.

Calf stretches are best if you have something to hold to steady yourself, stand with your legs and feet parallel and shift one leg back. Keep your back leg straight and bend the front leg until you feel a stretch in the back leg calf muscle.

For your back, lay flat on your back and bring your knees up to your chest, while lengthening your spine and trying to keep your pelvis from curling up. Then put your arms straight out and, keeping your shoulders flat, allow your bent legs to fall to one side, then the other.

Also, if your body is sore, which is to be expected if you aren't used to moving so much, try massaging your muscles with Arnica gel.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I got a book from the library on different stretches depending on activity. I love it because it has pictures! I sounded like a kid didn't I?!?!?!?!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I started out walking and transitioned to walk/runs. I started having started having shin splints and foot cramping. So I went to a running shoe store that recommended some expensive running shoes to correct my "over-pronation". It made things worse for me. It went to hurting the inside of my lower legs and my knees. I no longer wear those shoes.

I looked up stretches for runners and learned about key muscles that need to be stretched to avoid the knee pain. In about a week or two, I virtually have no discomfort or pain and it gets better everyday.
  • vatblack
    vatblack Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Stretching cold is bad. Don't do it. You should WARM UP before you exercise but I discourage stretching before you are warm. (More seasoned athletes who know their bodies might do certain stretches as part of a warm up but when you're new, you should start a little easier.) Warming up can be as simple as rolling your ankles and bending your knees, and walking in place a little, swinging your arms.

Stretch after your walk. Hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds and DO NOT BOUNCE OR WIGGLE AROUND. Make sure you are breathing slowly and steadily into your stretch.

There are a lot of youtube tutorials if you search stretches for beginners. Check them out if you have trouble visualizing what is described.

You'll want to do a basic hamstring stretch, either a forward fold standing or seated (with your legs out in front of you, reaching for your toes, but keeping your back as straight as possible so your belly button and chest reach for your legs instead of hunching over to increase your reach). If you do this seated, take off your shoes and point and flex your feet to stretch them and your shin muscles.

You want to do a quad stretch, which may be hard on your knees if they are already having problems, but basically hold something to steady yourself, keep your knees fairly level and bend one knee, reaching behind to grab your ankle.

To stretch your inner thighs, sit with your legs in as wide a V as you can while still sitting up straight (not hunched over on your spine, but up on your sitz bones) and reach forward like in the hamstring stretch.

To stretch your outer thighs and rear, sit cross legged and reach forward, again like in the hamstring stretch focusing on your posture and not hunching over. Switch which leg is on top and repeat. You also may want to look up some IT band stretches on youtube.

Calf stretches are best if you have something to hold to steady yourself, stand with your legs and feet parallel and shift one leg back. Keep your back leg straight and bend the front leg until you feel a stretch in the back leg calf muscle.

For your back, lay flat on your back and bring your knees up to your chest, while lengthening your spine and trying to keep your pelvis from curling up. Then put your arms straight out and, keeping your shoulders flat, allow your bent legs to fall to one side, then the other.

Also, if your body is sore, which is to be expected if you aren't used to moving so much, try massaging your muscles with Arnica gel.

This is excellent advice about not stretching cold.
  • finskihillfarm
    Options
    All posters have good advice but LiddyBit has excellent advice!!! If you take her advice you will not go wrong. I do the things that she has suggested and it works for me.

You are awesome to be getting out there and claiming a more healthy lifestyle!!! When you get to the point (and you will!!) where you might feel like starting a running program here is a cool site that my sister sent to me to get me ready for a 5K goal that her and I have set for November. I HATE running but doing it the way this program tells you to is allowing me to slowly build up my bones, muscles and cardio to sustain me through a 5K

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Great job on your sucess do far and keep up the good fight!!!! As the cards the that I get from kids say (I am Air Force depolyed to Afghanistan) 'You are awesome' and 'You rock!!"
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes - definitely warm up before stretching. This site recommends a 5 minute warm up. http://www.thewalkingsite.com/stretching.html

1) Warm up
    2) Flexibility exercises
    3) Walk
    4) Cool down
    5) Stretch

The before & after stretches/exercises are different.

This is a whole laundry list of stretches ....some of these stretches are important for me ... others are not. Everyone is different.
  • slinne
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone. I am sure this will help me work on getting the soreness minimized.

I really appreciate all the support!
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options

Excellent advice all around! But you admitted to yourself that you need better shoes! DO THIS! I'm a certified athletic trainer and come across too many athletes than I care to admit that have leg/knee/back/foot problems all because of improper footwear. I would suggest going to a specialty running store and being fitted by an expert for the appropriate shoes for you...and by expert, I DON'T mean the guy working at FootLocker =)
  • slinne
    Options
    Oh yeah I definitely need shoes. I just don't have the money to get any right now.

I have already done research and know of a specialty footwear store in my area that specifically fits you with the appropriate footwear. My birthday is coming up in August, so if I can't get them by then, I can maybe ask for some gift certificates to the store for my birthday.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I started walking this week. I have been doing 3 miles around my neighborhood each day first thing in the morning after breakfast. I currently weigh in the 360's, and my legs and knees have been sore all day following my walks. I don't have good running shoes right now because I can't afford them. I know they would make a huge difference and I will get a pair as soon as I can. I guess stretching is the main thing I can change NOW to help with the problem.

I have read on the boards several times that it is important to stretch 5-10 minutes before and after a walk/run, in order to help reduce the soreness. I have tried doing a few stretches but I am really just lost when it comes to this. I don't know what kind of stretches are needed and how to do it properly.

Any advice would be so appreciated! Thanks!
    DON'T static stretch if you intend to stretch before. Static stretching is "holding" a muscle in a stretch. If your muscles are "cold" then you can actually incur injury by static stretching.
    Better to do dynamic stretching. This involves moving the muscles you're going to use slowly through range of motion. You can find dynamic stretching on youtube.
    Static stretch after.
    And you're sore because your legs are carrying a load that it's not meant to on a daily basis. As you lose weight the issues will reduce.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I definitely need shoes. I just don't have the money to get any right now.

I have already done research and know of a specialty footwear store in my area that specifically fits you with the appropriate footwear. My birthday is coming up in August, so if I can't get them by then, I can maybe ask for some gift certificates to the store for my birthday.

You could try getting some inserts for your current shoes too. They would be much cheaper and could give you some of that extra support and cushion you need.
  • slinne
    Options
    Great idea. I will look into that. Thanks!