Protein, Carbs and Fats - what number do you aim for?

Options
Hi there - I just noticed in my food diary that it calculates these three (wish the ap did too!). I am trying to lose 15 lbs and wondered what everyone else does with these numbers to lose weight? Do you try to limit carbs to ____ amount per day? Try to get ____ amount of protein?

I'm pretty clueless as to what amount I need to lose. I know more protein is better. Suggestions very welcomed!!

(I'm aiming for 1200 calories a day and moderately active)

Thanks! Julianna

** That's not sweat, it's just my body crying.**

Replies

• rxj22
    rxj22 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi there - I just noticed in my food diary that it calculates these three (wish the ap did too!). I am trying to lose 15 lbs and wondered what everyone else does with these numbers to lose weight? Do you try to limit carbs to ____ amount per day? Try to get ____ amount of protein?

I'm pretty clueless as to what amount I need to lose. I know more protein is better. Suggestions very welcomed!!

(I'm aiming for 1200 calories a day and moderately active)

Thanks! Julianna
    ** That's not sweat, it's just my body crying.**

How often do you exercise? What type of exercise do you do?
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
  • Jstarr77
    Jstarr77 Posts: 24
    Options
    Someone told me that if you are going to eat a food, look at the protein count and multiply by three. If that number isn't greater than the gross carbs, then don't eat it (the exceptions being fruits and veggies) so I try to use this as a rule of thumb. I'm sure others have differing thoughts.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I just noticed in my food diary that it calculates these three (wish the ap did too!).

The app calculates these things, too...it is listed under "Daily"...it gives you all of your Nutrient Details.
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 days a week and HIIT 2/3 days week. I shoot for 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat. I eat anywhere from 1600 - 1860 calories a day.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    all of the above and then some.
  • becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fat
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I just noticed in my food diary that it calculates these three (wish the ap did too!).

The app calculates these things, too...it is listed under "Daily"...it gives you all of your Nutrient Details.

I like the "daily" view on the app far better than anything the website has to offer, and I really wish they'd port that to the web site.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i go for 40/30/30 but honestly the only number i really care about hitting is the protein. i definitely dont worry about fat. i find that as long as i'm eating clean, the carbs and fat work themselves out, it's always the protein i struggle with hitting my goal
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to eat 1g protein per 1 lb. body weight (more is better), and I like to keep carbs under 100g. Fat intake usually comes out to ~40g.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I go with 40/30/30 too (You can change the macro percentages to suit yourself in the 'goals' section). You don't have to worry about cutting down on stuff - just logging it - MFP has built in a deficit for you. IMO 1200 is really low so make sure you eat back any exercise calories you earn.
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I wasnt loosing any weight until I changed mine to reflect 40 (c) - 40 (p) - 20(f) still the same calories.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats, all coming from around 1400 calories of food per day. Sometimes I have a hard time getting that much protein, but I'm usually pretty close!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Thanks! I didn't know the app had this and always wished it had! LoL. Wonder how long I would've gone before I stumbled upon that if I hadn't read this! :laugh:
  • phonicks
    phonicks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did you customize your carbs protein and fat on MFP. If so where can you change that.
  • phonicks
    phonicks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It seems like the carb-ptotein ratio is off.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bump for later