Runners and foot pain

Options
I am 8 weeks in on my running schedule and I am now completing 6 mile runs. My last run was last Thursday and since then I have noticed that I have a pain on the top of my foot (near where my toes meet my foot) while I am walking. I knew that I needed to rest before it got worse. Well it has now been almost a week and the pain has not budged. It's bearable and I can walk but it has not eased up at all. I have done some reading about runners straining muscles and tendons in their foot or possibly getting stress fractures. Is this something I should see a doctor for or does rest normally do the trick? If so, how much longer will I need to break from running? (And I have new shoes, so I know this is not the cause)

Replies

• BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a stress fracture :-( Mine had to be casted because it wasn't getting better and my doctor was afraid I was going to finish the break. Unfortunately, I ended up 4 weeks off of it. Only x-ray will be able to tell if it's truly a stress fracture or something else. Wish I had better information to share. Good luck and wishing you speedy healing!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you've rested it for a week with no change, I think it's time to see a doctor.
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The top of the metatarsal (where I think you're describing) is a common place for runners to get stress fractures. I would get a bone scan or MRI (they don't always show up on X-rays) to see if there's a fracture there.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    If you've rested it for a week with no change, I think it's time to see a doctor.

^^This! If the pain is continuing then it should be looked it.

Hope it gets better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    The top of the metatarsal (where I think you're describing) is a common place for runners to get stress fractures. I would get a bone scan or MRI (they don't always show up on X-rays) to see if there's a fracture there.

Yes that is the location! Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it!
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    Sounds like a stress fracture :-( Mine had to be casted because it wasn't getting better and my doctor was afraid I was going to finish the break. Unfortunately, I ended up 4 weeks off of it. Only x-ray will be able to tell if it's truly a stress fracture or something else. Wish I had better information to share. Good luck and wishing you speedy healing!

That's what I was afraid of... Thank you for the reply! Did you go to a family doc first or straight to a podiatrist?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

+1 on that suggestion.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I had a metatarsal stress fracture last year and went straight to the podiatrist. It will take up to two weeks before he can diagnose it because the fracture itself will not show on the xray. It has to start healing and then he can see it. The good news is that if you have been generally staying off it it will heal quickly. I was back to running again in 4 1/2 weeks although it took about 12 weeks before the pain was completely gone.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Also, if you keep up with some sort of aerobic crosstraining while it heals you will lose little fitness and will be back on schedule in no time.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    I am the undisputed Queen of foot issues. Go to a podiatrist and he should examine it and do an x-ray. I am going to disagree with some of the posters because, yes the doctor should be able to see a stress fracture on an x-ray. He will most likely put you in one of those black boots and you will be healed in 4-6 weeks.

But, don't just blow it off. I am having pain in my 2nd and 3rd metatarsal and in the corresponding spot on the bottom of my foot. As I said, I have had many foot issues and a new doctor had me get blood tests for arthritis, gout and Lyme disease. He thinks I have been misdiagnosed.

Not to be dramatic but you only get one set of feet! Go to the doctor and have it checked out. If they recommend cortisone shots, do some reading up on them before you agree to it. Long story short, I had a ligament snap in my foot from too much cortisone!

Again, I don't mean to freak you out!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Actually it was my family doctor and it did show up on the x-ray but it was so faint he had to study it hard to see it (I think one person mentioned it doesn't show up on x-ray and that is true). He kept looking until he found it then promptly walked over and pressed right where he saw the fracture and I came OFF the table! It healed quicker than an actual break but it wasn't fun for me to sit! I hope it gets better soon!
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thankfull for this post, since I have been questioning the same. I run 4x week 3-5miles at a time with zumba in between and my foot have been progressively getting worse. It feels ok when in my sneaker but throbs once out and now walking. It wasn't until my husband grabbed my foot and sqeezed and I instant starting to cry that I have decided to have it checked out. ( I do NOT cry!!) hmmm, maybe its a good thing we just bought a pool!:bigsmile: