Sleep deprivation slow weight loss?

Options
During the week I can only get about 5 to 6 hours sleep between work, gym, life, etc. I was told that lack of sleep effects weight loss. Has anyone experienced this?

Replies

• hockeymom90
    hockeymom90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing it right now. I was told that your muscles keep burning fat while you are in a rest mode...not enough sleep will mess with your metabolism. Obviously, if we are tired...our workouts suffer or don't happen at all.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    lack of sleep raises stress hormones in your body as well.

in addition, your muscles repair while you sleep and certain hormones like growth hormone are released during sleep.

maybe you can try to catch some naps during the day?
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    My sister's doctor just talked to my sister about this last week. She said when you don't get enough sleep your body releases hormones that make you gain weight around the middle.
  • GIAngel222
    GIAngel222 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I wish I could find more time to sleep but that is not going to happen!
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've been having this issue for years :sad: I find it difficult to fall asleep unless I'm dead tired, and then my body will naturally wake up a little after sunrise. It's definitely affected my weight loss.
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it does. I have bouts of insomnia, and asked my Dr about it since I'm trying to lose weight. It screws up ur metabolism. A few others things too, but I jes listened to the yes and not the explanation. :)
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different.

I wake up at 5:30 am and go for a 5k (M-W-F) Sat 15k.
    Work from 9-6pm
    Sleep at 12am.

Running on 5-6hrs of sleep daily, I just can't sleep but have so much energy and losing weight.

The hormone a previous poster mentioned is Cortisol. This is released in response to stress, acting to restore homeostasis.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Oh............................so you mean I'm not losing weight because I'm getting 8 hours of sleep over four day periods? Okay. XD End of the school year, what can I say.