Any tips to quit, or limit smoking?

Options

Replies

• tracy1031
    tracy1031 Posts: 36
    Options
    You could have to stay in the hospital for two weeks where you can't smoke at all. That's how I quit - it's been nearly two years and I haven't had a single smoke. Seriously though, cold turkey. Willpower. All you need is your brain and you have to truly want to quit.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Well i also love oxygen, and having plenty of it when i work out lol.

Truth be told i feel like i'm more addicted to the habits then the nicotine itself.

I quit 2 weeks before vacation. Cold Turkey, I kept myself busy and changed my entire routine, imcluding the route I took to work. No more convenience stores or smoke shops. By the time we got back from vacation, it was over! 3 weeks in and I was done, for good!

1.5 years now and I am running 5ks almost every weekend. I LOVE MY NEW LIFE!!! Just decide to do it, and DO IT!

Keep sliced veggies around ( I make dip woth Chobani and Hidden Valley Ranch packets) and maybe granola, chew on the end of a pen. Walk when a craving hits.

I didn't join MFP until about 8-9 months later because I did gain about 22 lbs but I was also extrememly sedentary at that point.

Good Luck!
  • caitlinmcauley
    Options
    me and my friend are in the process of trying to quit. its definitely very hard, but what helps is thinking about how years from now, your lungs will look like you never smoked!!! its one of the only bad habits where you can reverse the damage youre doing by stopping NOW.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. I like to smoke, I like to drink. I ain't giving up my wine and that makes it even harder to give up my smokes. Sigh.

If you get an answer, let me know.

:laugh: Me too!!
  • Heaven71
    Options
    After smoking for 30 years and quitting cold turkey...

WANT to Quit
    CHOOSE to Quit
    ACT upon the Choice
    Succeed.

Nicotine is out of your system in 3 days. Your "Habit" needs to be filled with other activities.

Yep!
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i smoked from age 10 to age 33.. i quit cold turkey. smoked my last cig and refused to buy any more and told everybody i wasn't smoking and please dn't let me smoke. i quit hanging around folks that smoked and i stayed out of smokey places. it was hard int he very beginning but i took it one day at at time and my suggestion is to do it cold turkey.. and JUST SAY NO... and whatever you do do not buy a cigarrette or take a puff. im now smoke free 10 years!
  • Heaven71
    Options
    Same boat here. I like to smoke, I like to drink. I ain't giving up my wine and that makes it even harder to give up my smokes. Sigh.

If you get an answer, let me know.

I gave up the smokes but continued to drink. You just have to really want to not smoke. No one aroind me smokes so that helped a lot.
  • ginnyz1
    ginnyz1 Posts: 49
    Options
    Keep drinking lots of water. Chewing gum worked for me but since you hate gum, try brushing your teeth several times a day. Give yourself rewards for a certain number of days without smoking or having cut back on how many you smoke. Also, tell all your helpful supportive friends and let them help keep you on the right track. Good luck!!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Stop inhaling...Oh and every time you smoke spray skunk urine in your mouth Pavlovs theory works in a negative way too.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    Deep Long Breaths, like you're inhaling a really long needed drag of a cig...... this really helped me quit. Also, drinking lots of water. But really, the deep breathing worked wonders. Inhaling IS deep breathing anyway. Do it without the poison. I smoked for 30 years! (started young) and quit when I had my boys. Never Look Back!

Good Luck, my friend! : )
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    suemar74 SAID:
    I read Allan Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking". I borrowed it from the library so iI was only out a leisurely afternoon of reading if it didn't work.

After many attempts to quit and feeling like I was detoxing from a street drug, I was amazed at how easy it actually was with that book.

I tried the patch for awhile, the gum on maybe three attempts, the lozenges on two or three occasions, zyban, chantix, cold turkey, rubber band on the wrist. I tried quitting for my mom, once when each of my kids was born, for my wife, for myself.

Fail, fail, fail, within a month of making the promise, stopping the medicine or the nicotine aids. I couldn't stop myself, I had to have it, the cravings were uncontrollably strong, you probably want one right now, don't you?

A coworker recommended this book ("The Easy Way") and I read it, and I quit when I was on the last page in October 2011 and I haven't missed smoking at all. I haven't had a cigarette, haven't wanted a cigarette, and am daily joyous that I stopped. I'm angry that I smoked for 15 years, and that I didn't understand the trick. I killed that little monster as easy as you please.

The net enjoyment of my life is WAY WAY WAY beyond what "enjoyment" I used to get from each of those 30 cigarettes a day, for those 15 years I did that to myself.

I have two requests for you, original poster and those who still smoke:

1. Go to amazon, find the book, and calculate how many packs of cigarettes it costs. The chance of never buying another pack should be worth what you'll spend by Friday night on cigarettes.

2. Reflect on the fact that you go to bed at night and sleep for eight hours completely undisturbed by your 'cravings', but the thought of getting on a three hour plane flight may fill you with utter dread.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    there is only one way to quit. make the decision to do it. and do it.

it's not easy.

And there you have it. It's no different than any other vice. As much as I would love to sit around and eat cheesecake and chocolate all day, every day, I got to a point where enough was enough. Same thing with smoking. I smoked for 8 years. Quitting wasn't fun, but it needed to be done.

For yourself and everyone that cares about you, please just dig in your heels and quit. Especially if you have kids. My parents smoked my entire childhood, and I felt like I was constantly suffocating. At home, in the car - I couldn't get one breath of fresh air. And then I adopted the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude and started smoking at 15. You don't want your kids to go down that path.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    e-cigarette. my coworker is doing great with that; she takes her little smoke breaks and everything.
  • KeenamCausey
    Options
    Very hard thing to do, I smoked for over 30 years and it was by starting my exercise program and joining this site to change my eating habits that helped me. I could not take working out very hard and smoking because I felt I was coughing up a lung while doing it, so my plan evovled as follows.

1st week --- smoked in the early morning limit 2 smokes before going to work. (Key left cigs at home)
    went and worked out at lunch time and used smoke lozengers for rest of work day. Smoked 2 cigs after dinner and made sure had at least an hour with no smokes before bed. (for some reason I went to sleep faster). :smokin:

2nd week same as above but limit was 1 cig and upped the lozengers to 1 in morning and 1 more added to drive home. :grumble:

3rd week went to either smoke in morning or at night and the rest was the lozengers. :angry:

4th week went lozengers only and tried to keep to 6 at most for the day. :frown:

5th week increased workout times by 30 minutes and cut to a lozenger after every meal. (worst times for me). :smile:

6th week tried to go whole day without lozengers. ( did not make it thru 4 out of 7 days without at least 1 or 2). :embarassed:

7th week was no lonzengers and exercise really started to help curb any type of cravings. :blushing:

8th week and on same as schedule as 7th. :smile:

I think the key for me was by listening to people on this site and a couple others on how to eat heathly but to feel full. This way I did not balloon up by eating more from not smoking. This is the only time I have actually quit before longest was 1/2 to 1 day, and I have tried multiple times. I wish you the best of luck and can tell you I feel great and even have started playing basketball, be able to run up and down court without feeling like passing out is fantastic.

How ever you quit will be great, the fact that your even trying is good.

Try to keep me updated with progress!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    This doesn't work for everyone. I quit because I wanted to run more than I wanted to be fat. Cigarette's prevented me from running, which a lack thereof kept me fat. So I just stopped.

I was totally good for 6 months. Now I have a couple cigs a week (usually on one night if I'm drinking with friends) and only on Saturday/Sunday after my long runs. I can absolutely tell if I smoked the day before I try and do cardio so I avoid that completely. Of course, you have to have willpower to be able to turn it on and off like that.

Honestly you just have to find what works for you. I've known people that were able to jumpstart quitting by smoking so many cigarette's in a couple day period that they got the point where thinking about a cigarette make them want to vomit. That wears off, but if it's the habit that's killing you, that can give you the two week lead you need ;)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I set a date ( November 1, 2011) and told myself I did not want to be a smoker after that date. I weaned myself off the cigarettes.. Allowed myself a set amount each day, but never allwoed to bargain for next days or whatever....

So I was a pack a day smoker.
    To quit I did 20 cigs the first 3 days
    Then 19 cigs the next 3 days
    then 18 cigs the next 3 days
    and so on...
    when you get down to below 7 or 8 a day, I extended the number of days to 5 for my body to get used to the lesser amount of addictive chemicals.....

By the time I got down to 3 or 4 I did not even want or need them. I started walking, first 1/2 mile then 1, then 1.5, then 2, then 2.5 then 3, then 3.5 up to five miles a day.. now I am jogging and walking.. And circut training and I rarely think about smoking at all.
    I made it a process and did not allow myself to go back on it at all. I do not allow smoking in my house or my car.. I do not go into convenience stores (the only place to purchase smokes here)...

I took the $10.00 a day for the first month and spent that money on my Grandson. The second month I bought my husband a tv for the bedroom, the 3rd and 4th month I bought two RT tickets to Vegas.. where we are going in June. There is so much more I would rather spend my money on than cigs.......

If you really want to quit, you will find a way that works for you!!!! Give it some thought, make a plan, be accountable NO EXCUSES!!!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Get pregnant, and live with someone who tells you how nasty it is fo a woman to smoke LOL.

If those don't work

Remember that the cynergistic effects of smoking combined with any toxin increases your risk factor for illness from those toxins many times more than than they would if you didn't smoke.

What's the point of being ripped if you've made your insides black and nasty.

Oh and Smoking is gross and went out of style in the 50's...along with Corsets. Really...oh and you are generally hated by anyone who doesn't smoke and sees you doing it in public.

Not enough for you...

Call the CDC Quit Line and get a quit coach...these were paid for by the Tobacco settlements of the 90's.

For me I grew up smoking...really I had a my first cigarette sometime around the age of 8 or 9. Became a regular smoker in my teens. Got pregnant, quit regular smoking but picked up a cigarette on occasion in social situations. Any time I was with my mom she and I would share a pack of cigs. In 2010 I got P90X, I'd also finished Couch to 5K ect. But I still smoked when ever I was alone. One day I had this crazy epiphany, why ON EARTH would I do this to my body if I want to be in great shape. Took me a little while longer but I quit. Its been almost two years since I have had a smoke, and really haven't looked back. I find the habit now repulsive and really don't understand why anyone would ever start...its nasty.
    One thing I feel really helped me quit for good was that I was only smoking in social situations with other smokers, and didn't smoke every day. I might smoke like 20 cigarettes a month at most.....and at parties and festivals I would have my own pack. Once I realized I could do those activities without a cigarette in hand, it wasn't soo bad. The hardest was telling my mom I didn't want a cigarette or to smoke with her anymore. She was happy ect but it was a habit she'd and I shared for a long time.
  • ravennyx
    ravennyx Posts: 40
    Options
    I use to love to smoke too ... Then I started to hate it. I hated how it made my house dingy and how the cost keeps going up... Over time I just came to plain hate them but still couldn't quit.... So I went to counceling.. I learned I was using cigerates to control my anger I was also afraid to quit because My mother smoked when she was pregnant with me both my parents chained smoked around me from day one and I started to smoke at the age of 17 myself.. When I was pregnent I did quit but I had the Baby's daddy's second hand smoke to in hale.. I'd never been with out it.. In my mind to give up cigerettes was like giving up air.. After a few months of counceling I went to a hypnotist, a good one he addressed my fears and concerned... incooperating them into the hypnotism session.. And I continued with counceling for another few months as a strong source of support... I've been smoke free for 3 years and 5 months.. Before all this I had tried everything except the electronic cigeretes those where just coming out.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    When I smoked I absolutely loved it also. I smoked 2 packs per day...more if I went out in the evening. The last thing I wanted to do was give it up....but my body was actually to the point where I would wake up in the night craving one. So I decided I needed to quit. It took me 5 years on and off to finaly get them outta my life. Point being, never give up. You're not gonna quit if you're not trying.
  • ldytaz
    ldytaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are, I smoke and workout 6 days a week, pretty un productive after running :-) I vow to quit soon so good luck to both of us