Protein

Options
I've gone over my protein allowance by 24 points today - will this have an affect on weight-loss. I'm still within my calorie allowance but just wondered what the effect of going over the protein, fat, etc, that MFP has set.

Thanks.
Sarah x

Replies

• rxj22
    rxj22 Posts: 23
    Options
    I've gone over my protein allowance by 24 points today - will this have an affect on weight-loss. I'm still within my calorie allowance but just wondered what the effect of going over the protein, fat, etc, that MFP has set.

Thanks.
    Sarah x

24 grams or 24 calories?
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you are over on protein and still under calories, then you are fine.
  • rxj22
    rxj22 Posts: 23
    Options
    Nevermind, the answer is no big deal. Increased protein (as long as your calories stay the same) has been shown to have a greater weight loss effect. Protein is more thermogenic than carbohydrate or fat, more satiating (filling), and may have other benefits as well. One gram per pound of bodyweight is usually recommended for individuals who regularly weight train.
  • rininger85
    rininger85 Posts: 131
    Options
    If you are over on protein and still under calories, then you are fine.

^^^agreed, protein is good for you... helps repair muscles... go eat a juicy red steak! =)
  • wruper
    wruper Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you are within your calorie allowance, your fat calories and carb calories are probably less. Protein satisfies longer than carbs. Let us know if you did lose. I know I do better with more protein and less fat and carbs.
  • CardiffSarah
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm only on day 2 so want to make sure I'm doing it right.
    So more protein is good for you - will try to stick to protein rich foods then!

I'm enjoying this so far, first time of counting calories. So far so good, although 2 meals out at the weekend isn't going to be easy.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Not at all... actually more protein will help you keep under calories cuz it keeps you full for longer :)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I go over my protein just about everyday by a lot more.
  • amysteves
    amysteves Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One gram per pound of bodyweight is usually recommended for individuals who regularly weight train.

Bloody hell, really?! I haven't started weight training regularly yet, but I want to. (Tried today and couldn't even lift the bar!) I weigh 136lbs, and MFP is telling me to eat 45gs. I go over quite regularly but I have absolutely no idea how I'd manage to get to 136. Would it have to be protein shakes?
  • acragle
    acragle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1g per lb IF you train and want build lean muscle mass which will help you burn more fat. A high quality shake will help get your numbers up, but real lean protein from chicken, turkey and fish is best. You just have to find the right sources ... fat free cottage cheese is good as is canned tuna and chicken breast. I even found a lean turkey patty at Costco with 35g in each patty ... nice.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm only on day 2 so want to make sure I'm doing it right.
    So more protein is good for you - will try to stick to protein rich foods then!

I'm enjoying this so far, first time of counting calories. So far so good, although 2 meals out at the weekend isn't going to be easy.

MFP also sets the protein quite low, by default, so going over isn't a big deal.

As for the meals out, if you know where you're going, you can plan your meals ahead of time. Most big restaurants have nutrition info online, and some even have calculators that will tell you how much your meal's count is. Doing that, you can plan for the calories by not eating as much through the rest of the day, find and get the lower calorie stuff, or both.

If the place you're eating at doesn't have that information, or you don't know where you'll be going, it's a pretty safe rule of thumb that whatever you order will likely have twice the calories that you expect, so try to only eat half of it (or allot yourself a lot of calories if you're the type that can).