Fasting?

Options
I'm feeling really discouraged. Since June, I've been down to as low as -5.5 lbs but that was short lived and I quickly went back to -2.5 lbs and stayed there. The last few days I've been back up at my starting weight. People have said it's likely water weight from overdoing it on Thanksgiving but I feel so hopeless.

I've thought about doing a water-only fasting for 24 hours to try and jumpstart things again and see where my weight really sits when my body isn't full of food, but I'm worried it could do more damage than good. I remember in high school some friends did the "30 Hour Famine", a fundraiser for world hunger where you don't eat for 30 hours. Most of them were fine, but one of them has had serious stomach problems ever since. What do you all think? :huh:

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Probably not a good idea. From your pic you look pretty skinny as it is. Are you sure you have the weight to lose? As in, do you have the body fat to cut? You might be heavier with the number than you want, but if you don't have body fat, then you're as healthy as you are going to get in that respect.

Good luck with which ever choice you make.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've only tested my body fat on my mom's scale at home, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. How do you recommend getting an accurate %?

Also, I gained weight last year from lack of exercise and poor eating habits while away at college. My goal was simply to return to the weight I've always been at. I didn't think it would be so hard to drop 5-10 lbs, it sure was easy to gain! :laugh:

edit: (ps: don't let my pic fool you. I'm sure most women on here can agree, we've all learned our best angles and present them as such on film. I didn't take a wide angle shot of my butt and slap on my profile picture for a reason :wink: haha)
  • tweeter84
    Options
    I've done 24-hour fasts before and have never had any issues. I usually still eat a little bit of fruit and vegetables though to keep my energy up, so I guess it isn't a true fast. Alot of people that fast for several days say that it actually gets a little easier after the first day. It is also good to help eliminate excess sodium and water. However, I wouldn't do it for more than a day or two at a time and make sure you don't let yourself get dehydrated. Because you aren't consuming any complex carbs or sodium, your body is going to start eliminating water, so you need to drink more than usual. If you start feeling kind of weak or lightheaded, drink a gatorade or eat some fruit to get some simple carbs in you. Also, do you typically weigh yourself first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything? If not, this is the best way to get a true gauge of your weight.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    because you are quite small already with only looking to lose 8 lbs (no minimizing that at all - I know even something like 5 lbs is noticable for someone who doesn't have a lot to lose as opposed to me who has 40 to lose i don't find 5 too noticable lol] --- maybe rather then focusing on the scale you should just work on the shape of your body and doing workouts that benifit that instead and make it LOOK the way you want to rather then focusing on a random number that doesn't really mean too much.

if you do fast I would do as already was mentioned and just stick to fresh fruits and veg rather then no food at all, this is a nice cleanse without having to starve or deprive yourself.

:flowerforyou:
  • silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I tried a weight loss plan once that included a 24 hour fast once a week. I personally couldn't stick with it because I drank a lot of caffeine at the time and I'd get migraines from lack of caffeine. But during that time, I did a lot of research on fasting and I read a lot of things that indicate that fasting occassionally is good for you (and I"m sure you can find plenty of research to contradict that... of course). I don't think a 24 hour fast can HURT you. People do it for religious reasons all the time. I wouldn't necessarily expect anything drastic from it, but it might help detox you a bit and it gives your digestive system a little break.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Water fasting can be very dangerous without proper supervision. Fasting for a cause like World Peace day is very different from fasting for health reasons. Please do your reseach first. I am all for fasting, I do it as well, but if you don't do it right or you don't keep it up, it can be harmful and or pointless.

Here is a website to look at before you jump into anything:

www.elsonhaas.com

A 24 hour fast has been shown to provide health benefits, but if all you want to do is lose a few pounds you should make sure that your habits after the fast will support the benefits. If you aren't careful, your body will go into starvation mode and make it harder to lose.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I've only tested my body fat on my mom's scale at home, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. How do you recommend getting an accurate %?

Also, I gained weight last year from lack of exercise and poor eating habits while away at college. My goal was simply to return to the weight I've always been at. I didn't think it would be so hard to drop 5-10 lbs, it sure was easy to gain! :laugh:

edit: (ps: don't let my pic fool you. I'm sure most women on here can agree, we've all learned our best angles and present them as such on film. I didn't take a wide angle shot of my butt and slap on my profile picture for a reason :wink: haha)

I highly recommend getting it before you go nuts trying to drop fat you don't have.

:laugh: Just because I'm a guy, don't think guys don't know that secret too... We know what works for angles and what doesn't :laugh:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    When you only have 8lbs to lose I think the scale can be particularly deceiving. Your weight will naturally fluctuate, I've heard as much as 5lbs. So the scale may not refelct your hard work or your progress. I think you should check your measurements to see if there has been a change. Also, have you noticed any increase muscle tone? Muscle is more dense than fat. If you are still concerned that you really aren't making any progress maybe book a doctor's appointment. He/She can give you some tips and will alse be able to tell you what you BMI is and how much weight you need to lose.
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Scales suck. :devil:

I have thrown my scale away. I am in the same boat as you..I only have about 10lbs to lose. With all the exercise I was doing the number on the scale just kept going up, but my clothes were fitting looser. It was making me INSANE!! :explode: I decided that the number doesn't matter. In my mind I weigh 145:laugh: It is all about how you look and feel. Get a measuring tape and measure every 2 weeks to every month. When there isn't much to lose, you don't see results as quick, but don't give up. You are worth it!

~Erin
  • meana717
    meana717 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I did the Hollywood 48 hour diet (which is a fasting diet, you can buy it at Wal-mart for $14) .... and not only was I fine afterwards but it actually worked. It was a great kickstart to my diet/exercise!