Half-Marathon!

Options
I hope this may serve as a bit of encouragement to those who are just starting out on their weight loss and fitness journey. All my life I had never been a runner, but last August I decided to take up running as part of a weightloss and life style change. I started the C25K program and went through it very slowly, repeating weeks as needed. I finished the program in December of last year, and on March 31 2012 I ran my first ever 5K. What a blast! After that I was hooked on running, and every week since then I have slowly increased my mileage. Today I finished my first ever Half-Marathon. I ran with a smile on my face the whole way. I have lost over 40 lbs and I have never been in better shape, or felt better in my whole life, and to think that less than 10 months ago I could not even run 1 minute at a time is just mind boggling.

So, keep up the running folks, if I could go from 0 to 13.1 so can you!

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half marathon! :drinker:

I'm right there with you.... I never ran. Then when I was 39, I tried running (with the intent of finishing a 5K in under 45 minutes). Then 11 months later, at 40 years of age, I finished my first half marathon. It's an incredible feeling to go from a couch potato to someone who can run a half marathon.

Keep up the good work! ....have you signed up for your next half marathon yet?? :happy:
  • holmevik
    holmevik Posts: 33
    Options
    Keep up the good work! ....have you signed up for your next half marathon yet?? :happy:

Thanks! My next one will probably be in the late Fall some time. It's too hot here in South Carolina in the summer. Today the temperature ranged from about 70 to 80 which is about as much as I can comfortably handle on a long run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Your story sounds a lot like mine, a few years ago I could barely run around the block. Last Sunday I ran my 3rd half marathon.

Keep it up!
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! It is inspiriing. I'm thinking about going for a full marathon in about 12 months. I've done a couple 5ks and have a couple more coming up. I think taking it slowly is the secret to not getting injured.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I hope this may serve as a bit of encouragement to those who are just starting out on their weight loss and fitness journey. All my life I had never been a runner, but last August I decided to take up running as part of a weightloss and life style change. I started the C25K program and went through it very slowly, repeating weeks as needed. I finished the program in December of last year, and on March 31 2012 I ran my first ever 5K. What a blast! After that I was hooked on running, and every week since then I have slowly increased my mileage. Today I finished my first ever Half-Marathon. I ran with a smile on my face the whole way. I have lost over 40 lbs and I have never been in better shape, or felt better in my whole life, and to think that less than 10 months ago I could not even run 1 minute at a time is just mind boggling.

So, keep up the running folks, if I could go from 0 to 13.1 so can you!

Congratulations! You're an inspiration! I'm running my second half on June 16th! I can't wait!