Most Accurate BMR Calculator?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    harris benedict formula is considered the most accurate

It's actually not as it doesn't incorporate lean muscle mass. Katch McArdle is a more accurate way of figuring out BMR but HB is a very close simulation.

OP, are you looking for BMR or TDEE? I am 5'11, 200 lbs and 14% body fat and my BMR is 2080 but my TDEE is over 3200 calories as I exercise 6 days a week (P90X2). TDEE is where you calculate your deficit from.
  • mckenzieuk
    Options
    i am actually 15ft tall :D
  • taygrad
    taygrad Posts: 19
    Options
    I have been having the same issue as you, and also tried to be snarky and say you were 14.3 feet tall as well, but i was thwarted by the others. :) Ignore this post! (Why can we not delete?)
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i am actually 15ft tall :D

in the land of feeling like i was sinking and never going to understand nor get past this little bump i am currently on..... you made me laugh with this
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I ask this because MFP has told me i need to consume 1580 calories, blah blah, to achieve my weight loss.

I have done numerous BMR calculators and they all say my BMR is around 2805 - 3185calories.

Thats a MASSIVE calorie deficit!!!!!!!!!!

I have been doing it for a month now and have lost 11 Pounds (in 1 month yes!)

but i do alot of gym now also. I am male, 24, 204lbs, moderately active.

ANY ideas????

Umm seriousy.... How has noone pointed out....

MFP @ est 1000 calorie deficit -> 1580 calories
    4 weeks expected loss -> 8 lbs
    4 weeks actual loss -> 11 lbs
    Expected vs. Actual difference -> 3 lbs
    Calories of error (per month) -> 3*3500 = 10500
    Calories of error (per day) -> 10500/28 = 375
    Corrected target intake for 2 lb/wk loss (1000 calorie deficit) -> 1580 + 375 = 1955 calories
    This would put your maintenence intake at 2955 calories, right in line with the other calculators you found.

Seriously, results are the best way to calculate things, all other calculators are just estimates. Keep reevaluating as you go.

For a more in depth look:
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/

I'm 6'1", 190 lbs, and that is right around my maintenence amount, so it isn't an out of line #. MFP's maintenence amount for me is over 500 calories too low (and I do count and eat back exercise calories).
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I ask this because MFP has told me i need to consume 1580 calories, blah blah, to achieve my weight loss.

I have done numerous BMR calculators and they all say my BMR is around 2805 - 3185calories.

Thats a MASSIVE calorie deficit!!!!!!!!!!

I have been doing it for a month now and have lost 11 Pounds (in 1 month yes!)

but i do alot of gym now also. I am male, 24, 204lbs, moderately active.

ANY ideas????

Umm seriousy.... How has noone pointed out....

MFP @ est 1000 calorie deficit -> 1580 calories
    4 weeks expected loss -> 8 lbs
    4 weeks actual loss -> 11 lbs
    Expected vs. Actual difference -> 3 lbs
    Calories of error (per month) -> 3*3500 = 10500
    Calories of error (per day) -> 10500/28 = 375
    Corrected target intake for 2 lb/wk loss (1000 calorie deficit) -> 1580 + 375 = 1955 calories
    This would put your maintenence intake at 2955 calories, right in line with the other calculators you found.

Seriously, results are the best way to calculate things.
    For a more in depth look:
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/

all this math is making my head spin

i just wish it was this is how many you should eat.. end of story..
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bumpin'
  • urbanitylifestyle
    Options
    Here is a post I did on my FB Fanpage about calculating your BMR.
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/urbanity-lifestyle/determining-your-daily-caloric-intake/367243833334546

Make sure that you are taking into consideration your work out intensity level.

Here is also a link to the article on calculating your calories burned during your work outs:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/urbanity-lifestyle/how-to-calculate-fat-calories-burned/370240046368258

I will be starting a blog page on this site also that will have this info. I will be working on it this week.
    Please feel free to Friend request me and keep up with helpful tips and support on your fitness journey.

Blessings
  • RCtransformed
    Options
    I love the Fat 2 Fit podcasts, too! That's how I found out about MFP & they've motivated me tremendously... That being said, their Calorie Calculator (including projected per week workouts) has me eating almost 500 calories more that the MFP calculator....

Does anyone have an opinion as to which one I should go with? If I go with the F2F #'s, does anyone know how I can change the MFP calculations?

Thank you so much for your help!
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    You can change your calorie goals under "my home" then there's a goal setting under the main tabs.

I think the most accurate way to get your BMR is to have it tested at a gym or doctors office.

MFP has mine at 1400. Fat to fit has it somewhere around 1500. I actually had it tested at a medical facility who recruited me for a study and it's closer to 1700
  • RCtransformed
    Options
    Great advice. Thank you! I found the difference in your calories from different sources very interesting! thanks for sharing w/ us.
  • rybar16
    rybar16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To the guy who had the "massive calorie deficit/expenditure" Notice you put 172.7 inches tall. That's like over 14 feet tall- so the BMR calculator thinks that you need enough calories to feed a giant. That height is not human hahaha. Fix your height and recalculate.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options
    Results of that website;

Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 24 year old male, 172.7 inches tall, weighing 204 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 168 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 3367 calories.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 3772
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 4322
    **Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 4872**
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 5422
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 5972

From that i should consume 4872 calories a day!!!?? so say a -500 deficit would leave me at 4372calories. I am eating 1580calories but still have plenty of energy to work out.

I'm lost!

Dude, you're not 172 inches tall lmao
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options
    To the guy who had the "massive calorie deficit/expenditure" Notice you put 172.7 inches tall. That's like over 14 feet tall- so the BMR calculator thinks that you need enough calories to feed a giant. That height is not human hahaha. Fix your height and recalculate.

Someone beat me too it, I didnt mean to steal your thunder! But totally agree, he's a giant!
  • susanm160
    Options
    I recently just had a nutrition class in my college courses. To stay healthy while losing weight it is recomended to eat no more than 600 calories LESS than your suggested BMI intake. So if your normal caloric intake is 2000 calories (consuming this keeps you at your current weight and you feel good. No dizzy spells, don't get sick often. Don't feel hungry) then reducing this by 600 calories will enable you to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds per week, which is the way to go that does not put the body into metabolic shock. Some people could up this number (for instance a man/woman over 250lbs) but then should lower the caloric deficit as they lose weight. What I find that helps me is to listen to my body. If I do not eat the RIGHT foods during the day, I lay in bed at night feeling hungry. This causes me not to sleep so well. An so the spiral begins. I have also found that if I am hungry when I go to bed, and craving something, my body must need that ingrediant (mineral/vitamin), so I eat a few mouthfulls to satisfy the craving. But this is me. Others have to find what works for them. Hope this helps some.
  • pweaver25
    Options
    172 inches??
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I think the most accurate way to get your BMR is to have it tested at a gym or doctors office.

The most accurate way is to get it from results, 1 lb = 3500 cal.

The problem with getting it tested is there is error in that as well, and the error isn't calibrated to your calorie counting error.

When you estimate it based on results your systemmic calorie counting error cancels out.

Anyone can gain or lose at precisely the rate they expect to (using smoothed weigh-in data) if they do it right.
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Results of that website;

Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 24 year old male, 172.7 inches tall, weighing 204 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 168 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 3367 calories.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 3772
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 4322
    **Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 4872**
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 5422
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 5972

From that i should consume 4872 calories a day!!!?? so say a -500 deficit would leave me at 4372calories. I am eating 1580calories but still have plenty of energy to work out.

I'm lost!

If you are not 14' tall, you entered in your wrong height in inches. I'm assuming you meant to put 72" and not 172".
  • nellatl
    Options
    The only way to know your real bmr is through a breathlizer test. I used to go to Bally total fitness in Ohio and they would have me sit and breath in a breath machine for 10 minutes. Then I would tell them whether I wanted to gain muscle or lose fat etc. and they would give me something directly based on what is right for my body.

So say my bmr was 3000 calories. They would give me 3 meals and 3 snacks.

The fat would jump off my body like it was unreal. Way more than 1 pound a week and it was totally eating healthy.

Unless you're doing a breathing test or using some type of technology there is no way you're going to ge an accurate bmr because all the websites or calculations are based on worldwide averages not your unique body.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I really need to learn to look at the dates of these posts before I read the whole thread.