Flax seed recipes

Options
allegram
allegram Posts: 117
I'm looking for yummy flax seed recipes. I don't currently have any flax oil, but I have whole and ground. My little cousin has been having *ahem* gastrointestinal issues and I know that flax does good BUT I don't have any yummy recipes that she'd be willing to eat. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Replies

• septemberskinny
    Options
    I stir some flax seeds in my greek yogurt or cereal, along withwhat ever fruit or granola goes in. And also I read that you can use flax seed + water as an egg replacement, I tried once and worked fine for me!
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Where can I find ground flax seed? Is it the same as flax seed meal? Help a sista out!
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I add it to basically everything. Love my ground flaxseed!!
  • angelrock
    angelrock Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Since you can't taste ground flaxseed it's great to add to a lot of things. I add it to my morning porridge, curry, Bolognaise anything I cook I add it to. The health benefits are numerous!
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    Where can I find ground flax seed? Is it the same as flax seed meal? Help a sista out!

I found the whole flax seed that I have used in protein shakes and yogurt at Wal-Mart in the vitamin section.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Yes Flax seed meal is basically ground flax seed. I have heard it is better to get the seed and grind it before use to avoid the meal getting rancid.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes, flax meal is the same as ground flax.

I eat hot quinoa and flax for breakfast every morning.... here is my recipe:

3 cups dry quinoa
    6 cups water
    1 can coconut milk
    2 tablespoons vanilla
    2 tablespoons cinnamon
    10 tablespoons ground flax

Boil water, stir in quinoa and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook ~8 minutes, or until almost all the water is absorbed. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the remaining ingredients, cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Makes 10 servings.

I eat it with almond butter or blueberries. You can also serve it with more coconut milk on top. Or dairy. Alternatively, you can make it with oatmeal, although you might need more or less water depending on the type of oats.

Also I portion it out and freeze it, then heat for a couple minutes in the microwave for a fast breakfast.

Hope that helps :)
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed meal/ground flaxseed is also better because those little buggars are hard to chew.

I put it in everything, especially when I bake. Muffins, cupcakes, pancakes... I've also added a bit to mac 'n cheese for a little nutty flavour. Smoothies. Cookies. Even my chicken salad. I love the stuff.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options

I found the whole flax seed that I have used in protein shakes and yogurt at Wal-Mart in the vitamin section.

Make sure you grind it before eating or drinking, the shell is hard and our bodies can't break it down.
  • allegram
    Options
    Thanks guys! Any baking ideas? I'm thinking of cookies or bars or muffins...?
  • allegram
    Options
    I've got one! Courtesy of givemesomeoven.com, I give you the no-bake energy bites!

1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
    2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
    1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
    1/3 cup honey
    1 tsp. vanilla

Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1″ in diameter.) Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. Makes about 20-25 balls.

Customize to your heart's desire! You can omit coconut flakes, use any king of nut butter (I reckon cashew would be very good), substitute carob for chocolate or agave for your honey. I do, however, suggest paying a bit extra for some gluten free oats (did you know that gluten-- in excess-- has been known to "gum" up the cilia in the intestines? ick!). And, of course, the fats from the peanut butter can be hard on an already-taxed digestive system, but in moderation I'm sure it will be fine. I tossed mine in the freezer and they were great!
  • amandarashell
    Options
    I used to use flax seeds, but they were hard for me to digest even ground. I switched over to chia seeds and they have been great! I just throw them in fruit juice or a smoothie