To many calories?

Options
I just signed up, I set my settings to active, even though I'm considered very active during the work week (I work in a wood mill doing very heavy duty jobs)...but the calories it wanted me to eat was insane. Even set at active I'm having a hard time eating the 1880 calories it puts me at. Normally after dinner I have to force myself to eat another 300 calories. Most of my meals I'm eating are 500-600 calories, which is a LOT. I'm not used to eating this much. How is this supposed to help me lose weight when I'm now eating more then I did before? Any suggestions? Can I drop my calorie count down anymore?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    1,800 a lot? lol que?

Eat more calorically dense foods if you have trouble eating enough

Nuts
    Nut butters
    Avocados
    Oils
    Full fat dairy
    Pasta
    Ice Cream
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    What makes you positive that you're eating more calories than you were before?
    If you are working a demanding physical job, then 1800-1900 calories seems about right, even without added exercise.
    What's your exercise routine like outside of work?
    Do you find yourself eating more nutritionally-dense foods after signing up for MFP, or are you eating mostly empty carbohydrates?
    How much weight are you looking to lose?
  • cdrobb86
    cdrobb86 Posts: 8
    Options
    I do a lot of basketball and running and I lift weights when I can. My wife is a mfp'er so she knows what is good and works for our family, we do a lot of beans since we are vegetarian's. Yesterday my breakfast consisted of original special K cereal and organic milk, lunch I had natural PB and jelly on a flax wrap, apple, string cheese and a gatoraid, then dinner we had refried bean burritos with veggies and no cheese.
    I'll have to have my wife pick up some nuts when she goes shopping tomorrow. I also like to do protein shakes, but that is only 150cals, maybe I should add some PB to it?
    I'm at about 190lbs right now, I want to lose 30lbs.
  • cdrobb86
    Options
    Oh, and before I know I wasn't eating this many calories because I never ate breakfast or lunch except on the weekends...I know I know, it was horrible and bad for me, my wife told me this everyday lol
  • cdrobb86
    Options
    I've logged for the last 3 days, feel free to check out my diary. I haven't added my foods for today yet.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its not the actual caloric intake its the type of caloric intake. If you were eating more sugar and starchy carbs vs fruits and veggies.....it will show on the scale.

As prior post stated, eat more "healthy" calories to obtain your goal. But you don't always have to reach it. With your lifestyle I'd think you'd need a minimum of 1500 cal to stay fueled. That can be acheived easily by:

breakfast: 400-500 cal
    snack: 200 cal
    lunch: 400 cal
    snack: 200 cal
    dinner: 300-400 cal
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000 calories a day with no problem. Change the types of foods you are eating.
  • cdrobb86
    Options
    We do eat good food. :) My wife has lost 12.5lbs since Jan so shes doing something right, and shes not a big person to begin with so its been harder for her to lose weight anyway, shes down to 133lbs.
  • jschuett79
    jschuett79 Posts: 1
    Options
    When you skip meals and have irregular eating patterns, it puts your body into "storage" mode, slowing down your metabolism. When your body realizes that there is not a famine, youre metabolism will begin to normalize. You should definitely be able to eat 1800-1900 calories. Your meals should consist of at least 3 different food groups, if not all 5. Example: for breakfast: 1 whole grain english muffin, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 8 oz skim milk and 1 cup fresh fruit. This breakfast would be 400-500 calories. I am a registered and licensed dietitian and can legally give diet plans. Message me if you would like to work with a dietitian.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just signed up, I set my settings to active, even though I'm considered very active during the work week (I work in a wood mill doing very heavy duty jobs)...but the calories it wanted me to eat was insane. Even set at active I'm having a hard time eating the 1880 calories it puts me at. Normally after dinner I have to force myself to eat another 300 calories. Most of my meals I'm eating are 500-600 calories, which is a LOT. I'm not used to eating this much. How is this supposed to help me lose weight when I'm now eating more then I did before? Any suggestions? Can I drop my calorie count down anymore?

Like any recommendation given without medical tests or history, MFP give general recommendations based on the average person with similar statistics and goals as those entered. If you are absolutely sure you are eating more, then yeah, I'd drop them. But if you are not 100% sure, I'd give it a few weeks and see if you lose.

Eating more food, does not necessarily mean eating more calories. If you cleaned up your diet when you started MFP you may be eating more but still getting less calories.
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    A few snacks will help boost calories yet keep your metabolism running better... which will help weight loss too. I would beef up breakfast a bit more too. Good luck!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

1800 a lot??

I'm a 4ft 11 desk jockey and I eat 1600.

It's easy to add extra calories without extra volume.
    Eat some nuts, cook with Olive oil, add cheese. Choose the full fat versions of things instead of low fat etc
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    When you skip meals and have irregular eating patterns, it puts your body into "storage" mode, slowing down your metabolism. When your body realizes that there is not a famine, youre metabolism will begin to normalize. You should definitely be able to eat 1800-1900 calories. Your meals should consist of at least 3 different food groups, if not all 5. Example: for breakfast: 1 whole grain english muffin, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 8 oz skim milk and 1 cup fresh fruit. This breakfast would be 400-500 calories. I am a registered and licensed dietitian and can legally give diet plans. Message me if you would like to work with a dietitian.

Interesting, so if you held calories/macros/exercise/NEAT constant, a person eating often throughout the day would lose more fat then someone eating let's say once or twice a day, since they would be avoiding putting their body in storage mode?
  • behappydance
    Options
    :)
  • cdrobb86
    Options
    sorry about that ^ post..lol wife was signed in and I didn't realize it. Anyway, thank you all for the advice, I will be adding a few things onto the grocery list this week!