Is it just me, or do the calories burned seem rather high

Options
Is it just me, or do the calories burned seem rather high for the exercise check in?

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Yes, calories burned from MFP are definitely high.

I used an HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) and create my own exercises from that. Much more accurate.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, It's best if you can get a HRM for accuracy. I don't have one yet myself, but one day. It makes eating back all of your exercise calories risky IMO.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had hoped they were low. But when I got my HRM, I found they were all too high for me. My highest burn ever is a mere fraction of what I see many people reporting. And I often exercise at or over the top of the recommended heart rate range.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Oh, poo!! I really LIKE using those high numbers and eating them all back! Guess I'll have to try the HRM. Sigh ...
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options
    Yeah. I was looking at it compared to what the HRM and time/speed from the treadmill said. I will just write down what it says on the machines and use that.
  • meanemma86
    meanemma86 Posts: 68
    Options
    i normally try and eat back only half of the excercise calories that mfp has said i have burned just to be on the safe side.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i normally try and eat back only half of the excercise calories that mfp has said i have burned just to be on the safe side.

This is what I did.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For me they tend to be lower than what I am actually burning and recording using a HRM. I probably keep my heart rate higher though than what they are using for calculation.

Take care,
    Datenshi
  • bast2112
    bast2112 Posts: 63
    Options
    Depends on the exercise for me. I don't have a HRM yet, but want one! Sometimes I plug in my exercise and can't believe how low a number it gives me. I'm thinking for sure the way I was huffing, puffing, and sweating I must have burned more. I do notice that some people seem to be logging extremely high burn... I've been hoping it's because they use a HRM and not because they are padding their diary. ;)
  • fittorow
    fittorow Posts: 28
    Options
    MFP assumes that your exercise is vigorous to very vigorous. It's why I only log in my exercise at about 2/3 of the actual time I take to do them (40 min instead of 60, etc) - because I figure I'm only giving ~2/3 my all.
    The only exercise calories I really trust to be more or less completely accurate on MFP are the running calories - you can't fake a mile time.
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I use a HRM, and I actually burn more than MFP says-- so it all depends on the person.
  • holliebattershell
    Options
    there is an app called run keeper and I use that for running, walking, cycling etc. Its more accurate than MFP and it calculates your calories burned, speed, distance etc, so then just take calories from that and quick add them on MFP :)
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    They do seem high. I just tried to lower mine on my log by changing the speed of my walking, but screw it. I'm logging the exercises to keep track of my routines.