To my bike riding friends!

Options
So, i'm just going to put it out there, i'm pretty clueless about bikes really aside from how to ride one, but have been thinking i'd like to get one to go to work or ride around the neighbourhood. Here's the thing...

I'm being offered a Norco mountain bike for $125, my co-workers son got it last year and it was about $500 but he has outgrown it (Yes, I am short.), the thing is that it's an 18 speed mountain bike, that seems way overkill for my tour around the neighbourhood or to work, but it's a much better quality bike than i'd afford otherwise right now...so, i'm wondering do I go with it, or do I just go purchase one of the similarly priced ones (say $200) that are designed more for leisure/commuting from the sports/department store? I know they're meant for off-road trails etc but is there any reason not to ride a mountain bike just around?? Anyone have any info/insight? Thanks!

Replies

• shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    bump :)
    whew that got lost in the threads really quickly!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I would go for it. Sounds like a good bike, just make sure it actually does fit you. You will appreciate the extra gears when biking into a strong wind uphill.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I would go for it. Sounds like a good bike, just make sure it actually does fit you. You will appreciate the extra gears when biking into a strong wind uphill.

Oh of course, yes she said she'd bring it in for me to make sure :)
  • Teresava77
    Teresava77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Really does depend what you want to do - if speed on roads and tracks is your aim then a mountain bike is wrong. They are designed to be robust and strong so are heavy and slow (both because of the weight and because of the traction from the chunky tyres. Doesn't matter how good a bike is if its the wrong type you will get frustrated with the lack of speed. If you want to do proper off roading then by all means go for it. I mostly cycle on road, canal paths and bribleways so I sold my mountain bike and bought a hybrid which is much better suited - best descision I ever made.
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    Really does depend what you want to do - if speed on roads and tracks is your aim then a mountain bike is wrong. They are designed to be robust and strong so are heavy and slow (both because of the weight and because of the traction from the chunky tyres. Doesn't matter how good a bike is if its the wrong type you will get frustrated with the lack of speed. If you want to do proper off roading then by all means go for it. I mostly cycle on road, canal paths and bribleways so I sold my mountain bike and bought a hybrid which is much better suited - best descision I ever made.

I agree. I used my moutain bike for riding on road but it was hard work due to the extra traction. So I changed the tyres, the bike is still heavy but much easier than before! Or think about it another way ... using a mountain bike on road is more of a WORKOUT!