need NEW dinner ideas ( with meat)

Options
dme1977
dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
lately Ive found myself losing the taste for certain processed foods. ...(ex frozen pizzas,frozen made meals, canned anything really ...with the exception of veggies) .. they are starting to taste like cardboard BUT on the flip side i USUALLY make home made meals...but Im TIRED of making the same stuff over and over again... anyone have any suggestions as to some homemade dinner type foods that can have veggies but almost always have to have meat (the bf is a carnivorousness animal) I am NOT overly concerned on calories/fats/etc... as i can work this into my day if i plan accordingly... ALSO, I do MOST all my shopping at the beginning of the month and thats it!! so the ingredients HAVE to be on my list THIS week. THANKS

Replies

• fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    I love chicken and scrammbled egg with veggie sides.

Scrammbled egg also goes perfectly with most fish and squid/
    i stuffed squid with scrammbled egg the other day and almost had an orgasm.:laugh:

Infact just add most fish from the counter to your diet.
    Its cheap and most of the fresh fish makes salmon taste like crap.
    just wrap it in foil with lemon lime and salt.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com

allrecipes.com

Those aside I tend to take chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces and season according to what I'm craving that night (sweet,spicy,Italian, Thai) then cook in the skillet.

It can be served with veggies and whatever carb (if any) you want or it can be tossed in a soup or on a salad.

Also having quiona, lentils and barley (already cooked on the weekend) on hand makes for some interesting creations when chicken and canned veggies (mushrooms, artichoke, carrot, corn, green beans, beets, tomato) are added.

Canned beans can also be added to just about anything to increase protein and fiber much less flavor.
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Corrie_Lynn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili Mac is one my family loves:
    1 lb ground turkey
    8 oz elbow macaroni
    1/2 C salsa
    1 medium onion
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can fiesta corn
    Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    Taco Seasoning to taste (depending on how spicy your family likes it, I use about a TBSP)
    -Cook turkey and onion in a large skillet until turkey is browned. Add all ingredients EXCEPT the cheese and the macaroni, cover and simmer. While that's simmering, cook pasta as directed on package (wheat pasta obviously makes it a bit healthier). Stir macaroni into meat mix.
    -For the cheese, if you aren't worrying too much about the calories, you can add about 1/2 a cup or so of shredded cheese to the whole mixture. For me, I serve it up and sprinkle the cheese on top of everyone's serving except mine.
  • meramon
    meramon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow, try the Peruvian Chicken on SkinnyTaste.com. It has a sauce with it that my husband has renamed "awesome" sauce. Last weekend, I paired it with some spanish rice and various veggie sides. YUM.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast in the crock pot w bbq sauce, chicken breast in crock pot w chicken broth, taco seasoning and salsa, Morningstar bean burgers w oven roasted potato fries, shepherd's pie, tostadas w beans, beef, and lots of veggie toppings
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Options
    One of the sides I make a lot is chopped up zucchini, bell pepper (I use yellow, but you can use any that you like), onion and asparagus, saute with a little olive oil and soy sauce. This is great on it's own as a side or served over brown rice as a more filling side, or with any kind of chopped up meat as a main dish.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com

allrecipes.com

Those aside I tend to take chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces and season according to what I'm craving that night (sweet,spicy,Italian, Thai) then cook in the skillet.

It can be served with veggies and whatever carb (if any) you want or it can be tossed in a soup or on a salad.

Also having quiona, lentils and barley (already cooked on the weekend) on hand makes for some interesting creations when chicken and canned veggies (mushrooms, artichoke, carrot, corn, green beans, beets, tomato) are added.

Canned beans can also be added to just about anything to increase protein and fiber much less flavor.

Skinnytaste.com is awesome, everything I have made from there has been great
  • Lisuuhhh
    Lisuuhhh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you feel about soup, but when I make my own I always like it better AND it is very filling. The awesome thing about Chicken Tortilla Soup is that it is very flavorful and LOW CAL! So.. I highly recommend trying a Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. Here is one I like to make. I also will slice up some avocado and put a few chunks on right before serving!

Can you tell I'm a little excited about sharing this? :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-tortilla-soup-i/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=chicken tortilla soup&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I made chicken the other night with an avocado salsa on top (tomato, avocado,onion,garlic, olive oil, cumin, & lime)

Turkey & Quinoa stuffed peppers (sooo good and only 160 cals per half pepper): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/612439-stuffed-peppers

I like making homemade pizza, you can make it as healthy as you want..(homemade crust)

Steak salads, taco salads
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Options
    This is a really good one from skinnytaste.com: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crock-pot-asian-pork-with-mushrooms.html
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Since you shop once a month you might consider making up a menu before you do your groceries. I find when I take the time to do this not only do we save money but we also eat a broader variety of food. I'm also more likely to try new recipes because I know I have the ingredients for whatever is on the calendar. I spend a little time going through recipe books/magazines and make up my menu with mostly favorites but I always try to include a few new recipes too.

Pinterest is a good place to look for recipes. Also, if you know the type of meat you want to cook with just google that one (chicken, beef, pork, etc.) You'll get not only recipe sites but also the site for the "beef council" (or whatever) and they have recipes too.
  • nscarebear
    nscarebear Posts: 29
    Options
    bump
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I love stir frys and just switch which kinds of meat I use...shrimp, chicken, beef. And I just buy the bag of ready to go stir fry veggies so I don't have to worry about the vegetables going bad in the fridge.
  • cryan1980
    cryan1980 Posts: 37
    Options
    The thing that hits me. Why are you shopping once per month?

I know time is valuable but stated you are tired of processed foods... That is the reason why my wife and I shop once per week (We make a date of it)

We buy meat and freeze when we get a good price but fresh veggies to go with it every week...

Meals.
    I am mega carnivore- but do not need tons of meat per meal.. just needs to be there. Curries, Vegetable pasta sauces with a little chicken or pork, tamales,
  • Kahlleah
    Kahlleah Posts: 6
    Options
    My taco salad, about two cups of shredded lettuce, deer meat or turkey meat (ground up) with your favorite taco seasoning, through about three oz of meat on the lettuce! I add green peppers chopped and tomatoes and salsa and hot sauce, mix together and dinner! (if you want you can add tortilla strips too) about 300 calories of goodness!
  • dme1977
    Options
    The thing that hits me. Why are you shopping once per month?

I know time is valuable but stated you are tired of processed foods... That is the reason why my wife and I shop once per week (We make a date of it)

We buy meat and freeze when we get a good price but fresh veggies to go with it every week...

Meals.
    I am mega carnivore- but do not need tons of meat per meal.. just needs to be there. Curries, Vegetable pasta sauces with a little chicken or pork, tamales,

I meant my MAJOR shopping. I buy in BULK and break everything down to smaller packages
    I do go once a week for the smaller stuff...(bread, bananas, grapes , milk etc...)
  • dme1977
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE...
    I DID go to each and every site you posted... bookmarked a few recipes and also the site themselves for later use...
    AWESOME!!! :love:
    I currently have at least 4 new recipes on hold for later this week after the trip Sam club... :tongue:
  • psideon
    psideon Posts: 24
    Options
    Turkey burgers.

Ground turkey
    Garlic
    Carrots
    Onions (red, white, spring... whatever's available)
    LOTS of breadcrumbs... it lightens the burger considerably and is a good filler.

Feel free to add celery too.

Bake in the oven till 165 F

Divided mine to 4oz. patties... came to 230 calories per. Very filling.
  • stacystilly
    stacystilly Posts: 33
    Options
    Here's a link to my meatloaf :)

http://simplyfood4you.wordpress.com/