How Many Calories do YOU burn?

Options
Just wanted to see where I was at in the grand scheme of things. I usually burn atleast 300 calories a day just with my walk, but then if I do my workout video, tredmil or strength I can average about 650.
How many calories on a daily basis do you burn on average? Should I be doing more? The scale isn't moving and I have been eating my exercise calories the last 2 weeks so I just want to see where I was compared to everyone else.

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I burn between 250 and 650 on the days that I work out (typically 3-6 days a week). I know some people on here burn as many as 800+ but I find that that would just take much more of my time than I have, and give me way too much food to eat.

I think you're in the right range. I used to burn only around 250 a day on my walks and that was the first couple of months when I lost 20 pounds, so you're probably fine.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I hope more people answer, I'm trying to find more ways to burn calories too. I burn about 3-400 calories in 60-80 minutes everyday. It just, doesn't seem like a lot, when a pound is 3500 calories.
  • breckmc
    breckmc Posts: 30
    Options
    I burn 400-600 on my running days (T, Thu, Sat) and about 250 on lifting days(M, W, F). I think I freeze (reverse of burn?) about an extra 1000 on my off day on Sunday when I park myself in front of the tv and watch football for 12 hours. Seems to work out.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I burn between 320 and 550 calories 6 days a week. When I was doing P90X I was in the upper range (long workouts & added extra cardio on weight days) now w/INSANITY I'm on the lower end of that spectrum, but with really short workouts. I usually eat maybe half of my workout calories (and I eat about 1600-1700 calories/day).

Anytime I feel I need to burn some extra on top of my normal routine, I choose 20 or 30 minutes of a bootcamp type dvd...30 Day Shred (i can get an extra 150 calories burned in 20 min) or Kelly Coffey"s 30 minutes to fitness dvds. I'm in more of a "maintenance" phase than a weight loss phase though. P90X got me where I want to be weight-wise! :)

Hope that helps!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    between 260 and 500 if I go to the gym it's usually closer 400-500
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I burn about 450 on the elliptical every day. 3 days a week I also do a pretty nasty weights routine, and I punch in 40 minutes of "Strength training" - which MFP says is 190 calories.

I eat most of 'em.
  • wattsam1
    Options
    I burn between 250 and 300 calories on the elliptical at the gym depending on what program I am doing.
  • Being_Healthy
    Being_Healthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was really stuck with my weight loss until I stopped eating all my exercise calories (I know most people on here say you should eat them...but I wasn't losing, just maintaining). I still eat some of them though (about 200 out of the 600-700 I burn), just not all.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm on 350- 400 on my running days. sometimes less if I'm tired. It wakes me up doing a bit in the morning. I have to remember to minus my Resting Heart Rate so the figures never look as good as they do on my watch.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm on 350- 400 on my running days. sometimes less if I'm tired. It wakes me up doing a bit in the morning. I have to remember to minus my Resting Heart Rate so the figures never look as good as they do on my watch.
    :smile:
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I was really stuck with my weight loss until I stopped eating all my exercise calories (I know most people on here say you should eat them...but I wasn't losing, just maintaining). I still eat some of them though (about 200 out of the 600-700 I burn), just not all.

I'm still needing to find that happy medium of how many workout calores to eat vs. not to. For a long time I wasn't eating any and was not losing any weight. Now i'm eating all of them and still nothing :angry:

Thanks for all your answers everyone, it's been very helpful to see where everyone else is at
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I burn about 500 calories on days I workout. That's a 45 minute exercise video- 30 minutes aerobics + 15 minutes stretching.

One of the keys to weight loss using MFP is to be brutally honest with both your food and exercise. It's always better to overestimate (calories consumed) a little than to underestimate.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I average about 600 a day. It is easy on my running days. It is a little harder on the other days. I am training for a marathon and the runs are starting to get longer. That helps my average, of course then I have to make up some of those calories later in the day.:grumble:
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Oh, just calculated how many calories I will burn tonight when DH and I go out to dance. 900 calories! Wow. I'm happy :happy:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I hope more people answer, I'm trying to find more ways to burn calories too. I burn about 3-400 calories in 60-80 minutes everyday. It just, doesn't seem like a lot, when a pound is 3500 calories.

You only have 20 pounds to lose, so it's going to come off slowly anyhow. Imagine how those of us who have a ridiculous amount of weight to lose feel...it's going to take me about 2 years to get to a decent weight.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

I'm still needing to find that happy medium of how many workout calores to eat vs. not to. For a long time I wasn't eating any and was not losing any weight. Now i'm eating all of them and still nothing :angry:

Thanks for all your answers everyone, it's been very helpful to see where everyone else is at

I tried eating my exercise calories for a few months over the summer, and I stayed the same all summer. I stopped eating them (or most of them, anyway) and started running and the pounds started to come off again. Every body is different...just play around with it and you'll see what works for you.

I usually burn 600-700 calories a day, sometimes more, sometimes a little less.