"Everything But the Kitchen Sink" Chicken Veggie Soup

Options
jcstanton
jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
So last night I had some fresh veggies in my fridge I needed to use before they went bad, and I decided to make a big pot of veggie soup. Here's what I put in it (there's no magic quantities on anything):

2 chicken breasts (with the skin and bone) boiled in 3qts water...add seasoning of your choice. I used basil, oregano, garlic, and rosemary. Also, I added a little salad vinegar as this seems to help help the flavor permeate the chicken.
1 Yellow squash diced
1 Zucchini squash diced
2 Green bell peppers diced
2 ears of fresh sweet corn (removed from the cob, of course)
Sweet peas
Fresh asparagus chopped
Lentils
Fresh Broccoli Florets
One large sweet onion chopped
4 Stalks celery chopped
Baby carrots chopped
1/2 head of cabbage chopped
Fresh green beans
1 Can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 Can tomato sauce (no salt added)

...I think that's everything, but I might have forgotten one or two things. LOL Basically, you raid the fridge and look for veggies that you need to use in a hurry.

Once the chicken is falling off the bone, remove it from the water then add the tomatoes and sauce to the broth, along with the veggies that take longer to cook (i.e. carrots, asparagus, celery, cabbage, lentils, etc...). Wait for the chicken to cool then remove it from the bone and chop it into bite sized pieces, then add it back into the pot. Once the veggies in your pot are tender, add all the veggies that cook more quickly (i.e. broccoli, yellow/zucchini squash, corn, peas, etc...). Let it simmer for about fifteen minutes and serve. YUMMMMM!!!

FYI, this is a low sodium recipe. Other than the sodium that naturally occurs in the veggies and chicken, there is no sodium in it. However, between the chicken broth, the herbs and spices, and all the different veggies, there is PLENTY of flavor...especially after it sits in the fridge overnight.

Replies

• lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Do you know what the calorie content/serving size is?
  • jcstanton
    Options
    It would be hard to get an accurate calorie count because I didn't measure anything. It can't be terribly high. It's almost all veggies and I didn't add any oils, sugar, or anything like that. It's pretty natural. The chicken is probably the highest calorie item and I took the skin off of it.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    Just entered it into the recipe database. A 1 cup portion has 149 calories, 16 carbs, 1 gram of fat, 5 grams of protein, 69 mg of sodium, and 5 grams of fiber.