Gentle exercising?

Options
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some gentle exercises for me? I have arthritus, so I can't really run or cycle or anything that will be quite demanding on my joints. I'm just quite stuck on what actually to do that won't hurt me? Any idea would be really helpful

Replies

• sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Can you walk or swim?
  • ViktoriaValentine
    Options
    Well i can walk for about 10-15 before my legs start to hurt, and swimmings about the same. I am trying to do a little bit more to see if i can strenghen my muscles so i can do longer, but its a lengthy process.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    swimming/water aerobics is very good. cant get much more gentle than that since much of your weight is supported by the water
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Walking (and now light running, yay) and swimming work well for me. I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, a repaired rotator cuff, broken and arthritic tailbone, sciatica, plantar fasciitis, bone spurs on my heel and I can still work out. :)
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    try calling your local pools. I know my gym has a joint action class, its an aquatics class for people with joint issues or other limited mobility issues :o)

good luck and stay positive... even walking for 15 minutes means you're still doing laps around someone sitting on the couch!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,112 Member
    Options
    My mom struggled with this problem for years until she found a water exercise class at the Y that was designed for people with arthritis. Maybe someone is offering that type of class in your area?
  • amusgrave
    amusgrave Posts: 79
    Options
    Swimming for sure!! Most public pools even have classes if not just do some laps
  • tamiehelt
    tamiehelt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hulu.com has a variety of great workouts. Here's a link to Gentle Yoga Part 1, http://www.hulu.com/watch/154810/yoga-zone-gentle-yoga-part-1. You may have to modify the movements initially to suit your needs but eventually you can build to the full pose.