Gardening

Options
So - how many gardeners do we have here on MFP? How many of you were gardeners BEFORE you started your health journey?
What's your favorite thing from the garden?

I grew up in the country, so we always had a garden. We can tomatoes, make jam, the whole nine yards.
I absolutely love fresh tomatoes!! Mmmm!!!

Here's a link to our garden this year. We live in the city, so we community garden.

https://www.facebook.com/WebsterFarm

Replies

• dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I'm a gardener! My favorite that I absolutely cannot wait for is tomatoes! We're also growing squash, bell peppers, jalapenos, habeneros, green beans, okra, corn, and cantaloupe...
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We grow a decent sized garden, Maters, squash, zucchini, green beans, corn, peppers, okra. I love fresh grown vegetables. My absolute favorite is, maters. I can eat them like apples, and I love a fresh mater sandwich with mayo, and black pepper!!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have a little patio garden this year. 6 tomato plants, 5 basil plants, and some lettuce.

I have gardened in a community garden before and it was a great experience. I had some awesome plants and my tomatoes got well over 6 feet. I also made some friends doing it :) That was when I was 200 pounds too, so I definitely gardened pre-losing weight.

Tomatoes are my favorite thing from the garden. They taste nothing like grocery store tomatoes!
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    Options
    I garden and grow some awesome veggies but Im not doing it this year. I just went out to my backyard and looked at my empty garden plot :(. No time this season but I'll be super ready next year! Tomatoes are the best, I also really like cucumbers & squash and everything in between. Yum!
  • Dawnjuli
    Dawnjuli Posts: 4
    Options
    I love to garden when I have time! I have 5 raised gardens that are very managable. This year I have tomatoes, green beans, peas, celery, and lots of herbs that I enjoy drying. My favorite are green beans and tomatoes. I love to preserve as much as possible.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME- looking for gardener friends!!!
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just planted ours over the weekend! I'm really progressing-- I used to do it but not really care that much about it or use all the produce. Now I am careful about using organic topsoil and products, and I want everything to be the best quality for health! I hope to add more to it soon!
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hubby & I just started gardening again this year.. We have bad soil - so we brought in some good stuff & are taking a try at it again this year.. Tomatos, Potato's, pickles, green beans, squash, zuchinni, pumpkins, onions,radishes and egg plant.. I cannot wait to harvest.. My hubby also has a rose garden with 200+ roses & other flowers.. He has a major green thumb.. I never used to help him with the yard - but since I have been on this journey I love doing yard work now & it burns some good calories.. Good luck everyone..
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I love to Garden !!!! Just picked some cucumbers over the weekend and some black berries... We plant one every year and love it !!!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take gardening a bit too seriously. My garden is about 3000 square feet.

Mostly heirloom stuff from rareseeds.com

All kinds of tomatoes (of course), burgundy okra, rainbow swiss chard, kohlrabi, collards, several types of potatoes, several types of beans, several types of basil, yada yada yada.

Nothing like a fresh off the vine, giant, ugly, heirloom tomato on a hot summer day.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    favorite is tomatoes, I love to can. :) I am going to do pickles this year. I am very excited :D
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i like gardening, unfortunitly our housing just did away with the little "gardens" we all had on our patio, and my neighbores give me dirty looks when they see me out front puting plants in :(
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i do mostly container gardening

right now i have going....

tomatoes
    strawberries
    zucchini
    japanese cucumber
    japanese eggplant
    cantelope
    watermelon
    pumpkins (i am a halloween FREAK- its like christmas for me! LOL)
    green onion
    napa cabbage
    bunch of diff herbs
    bunch of flowers
  • tevokish
    tevokish Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've had a container garden for the past 3 years on the balcony of the apartment I live in.... This year I'm growing:

Tomatoes - 2 plants
    Jalapenos - 3 plants
    Sweet Peppers - 3 plants
    Carrots
    Mescaline Mix
    Strawberries
    Chives
    Basil
    Cilantro

Can't wait to get a house and expand my garden!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I have been gardening for a few years now. Just got mine planted this last weekend. Normally do it earlier but between the rain and the tiller breaking down I am a bit late this year.

I like the snow pea right out of the garden and my wife make a delicious chocolate chip zucchini bread. Cant wait to have some this year.

GardenoverheadviewAug4th-1.jpg
    Garden2011cucumbertrellis-1.jpg
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I will quite happily just stand in the garden and eat. My favourite is probably broccoli when it gone to seed
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have 8 gardens - 7 hosta gardens and one perennial flowrs so do lots of gardening as exercise between weeding and mulching and replanting. DH has the vegetable garden and plants cukes, tomatoes, corn, peppers of all kinds. In the fall means canning and juicing of apples from our apple tree. Yum! Definitely becoming more of a fruititarian and vegetarian as a result.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have too much shade and the only sunny spot is just big enough to grow some herbs (cilantro, basil, oregano and mint) and a few pepper plants.... I try to volunteer at a Friendship community garden whenever I can... I really love gardening... so labor intense but so rewarding
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Me!!! I absolutely love my garden! As a matter of fact,that's what we had for supper.......fresh yellow squash,new potatoes and purple hull peas canned from last year! This year,we planted tomatoes(100 plants),yellow squash,carrots,broccoli,cabbage,watermelons,cantaloupes,and lots of peas.We're having to irrigate from our pond right now....it's really hot and dry here(Texas)......I would love some gardening friends!
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Dude your garden rocks !!