Quality of life changes, I can PLAY again!

Options
maggiepz
maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
You know, especially for the just starting or struggling, especially those of us older, I thought it would be nice to look at another aspect of diet and exercise.

For a little background, I've lost over 30 pounds and I'm no longer a diabetic. Low carb works best for MY body. I've had metabolic syndrome- not now. The chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia , that's probably 75% better but I do have a degenerative spine that contributes to my chronic pain. I don't do formal exercise but I've been doing some biking, swimming and walking, especially stairs or hills and some dancing. The most rewarding of all my effort is the improvement of my quality of life. At 55yo, I have again found my sense of adventure and fun!

I went on vacation to the Smoky Mountains with my sisters and we went ZIP LINING through the mountains and fields! I even flipped and did a few hanging upside down! It was so much fun two of us did a tour another day and I now have done a dozen zip lines! I pulled out my camera and went hiking through the woods too. I was able to see breath taking old-growth forests and waterfalls (I hiked THREE, 2 by myself because it was too much for the others) and even saw a black bear in the wild (luckily I didn't have to run from it, LOL) I saw wild flowers again, in the "wild". I used to hike when I was younger to photograph the nature. It was so wonderful to do it again. I have a FitBit Ultra that has an altimeter and one day hiking (mostly on my own) it recorded the equivalent of 103 FLIGHTS of stairs climbed during my hikes. Four months ago I wouldn't have lasted more 5 MINUTES because of the climbing involved.

Yes, what I've found over the last 4 months is that my efforts have made life FUN again! I am a participant instead of an observer. Yeah there's some days that I can barely function with pain but they are MUCH father apart than they used to be. I'm feeling so much better now that I actually WANT to be out moving and doing things! I get antsy when I'm stuck on the couch or in bed with my heated mattress pad (so much better than a heating pad for large areas of back pain).

I can keep up with my 8 grandchildren, sometimes having more endurance playing than THEY have! I can now bend over and pick up that baseball and throw it back and try to catch them and chase those balls down. I can bat without throwing out my back. I bought a cruiser bicycle and go bike riding for the first time on probably 25 years. I can swim without worrying about getting too tired drowning myself in the pool (haha). I can bowl with the kids again (but need the 8lb ball). I do Zumba and enjoy my belly dancing DVD (great core work). I have FUN again.

Of course there's the day to day stuff like no longer getting short of breath walking from the parking garage to the office, or being able to get that pan that's slid way back in far reaches the low corner cabinet or being able to lift my "bad" leg on it's own to put on a pair of pants. I'm not just struggling through a work day and crashing on the couch when I get home (well not EVERY day anymore, LOL).

Fitness has so much more to offer than just the size of your clothes.

Replies

• tarheelteacher
    tarheelteacher Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    congrats and I can relate some...I am 47 and have had both hips replaced in last 24 months due to bone disease and I have lost 37pds in past 6 months...I have a ways to go but it is so nice to just be able to participate in life again
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congratulation on your journey! So happy for you! :flowerforyou:
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    wow, congratz!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Love it! So right.
    I enjoy doing stuff I have not been able to do for years, just normal stuff & getting on a bicycle!!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Wonderful post!! Made me smile. :flowerforyou: Congratulations on your achievements.