Soft + healthy food recipes

Options
tchr1ann
tchr1ann Posts: 11 Member
I recently got braces and I'm still struggling with what to eat. It seems like most healthy foods are crunchy (most vegetables and fruits!) Does anyone have any yummy, but healthy recipes that are soft to eat? (I'm finding that the "bad" foods are very soft... mashed potatoes, rice, etc.) I tried eating a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich yesterday and even that was a bit too hard for my teeth. : (

Replies

• Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Hmm off the top of my head...

Hummus
    Protein shakes - lots of yummy recipes online
    Pumpkin pie, without the crust
    Yogurt
    Unsweetened Applesauce with Cinnamon
    Oatmeal cooked down really well so its mushy....with Cinnamon and Applesauce and a bit of butter:heart:

err....blended cooked veggie combos...like baby food?:tongue:

hope this helps?
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I recently got braces and I'm still struggling with what to eat. It seems like most healthy foods are crunchy (most vegetables and fruits!) Does anyone have any yummy, but healthy recipes that are soft to eat? (I'm finding that the "bad" foods are very soft... mashed potatoes, rice, etc.) I tried eating a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich yesterday and even that was a bit too hard for my teeth. : (

Mashed cauliflower? Protein smoothies made naturally? I don't know what you like to eat :-( And I can't think of any meats that would be cooked to a point where you could chew... Unless you made like whole grain pasta w/ ground turkey?
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, soups, yogurt, scrambled eggs, applesauce.... good luck!
  • dsn1118
    dsn1118 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had tooth problems on and off for the past year. I don't have braces, but have had root canals, gum surgery and tooth extractions. Applesauce (all natural), greek yogurt, tuna salad, hummus with soft pitas (instead of pita chips like I used to do), bananas, whole grain pasta with healthy sauces, oatmeal, protein shake smoothies. Oh, and I used to eat Kashi granola bars, they are too hard for me now. I switched to the Kashi soft baked cereal bars instead for an on the go snack. Good luck!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sauteed zucchini and yellow squash are soft (gets downright mushy when cooked), scrambled eggs, cauliflower and broccoli can get soft if steamed long enough, you can puree your vegetables and make some creamy soup, or drink them cold as vegetable drinks / shakes (think variation of a V-8), greek yogurt. You can also puree fresh fruits and use them on top of your yogurt (peaches or strawberries would be yummy).
  • immeagain
    immeagain Posts: 16
    Options
    Some great soft recipes here: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/. They are made by someone who had weight loss surgery but are very healthy, soft and yummy!!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It's fruit season. I love peaches, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, etc. I've found a trick that may help you. Slice your fruit into bite-size chunks and microwave. Sometimes I add just a tiny bit of brown sugar and butter. It tastes like pie. Seriously. Pie. Peaches work perfectly for this. They produce their own syrup and get soft and wonderful.
    Also, Greek yogurt. Lots of protein and very soft.
    A friend just gave me a recipe for chocolate mousse that sounds good. Take a large tub of low-fat ricotta, add 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon vanilla (she said tablespoon but I think she meant teaspoon), 5 packets truvia and a tiny pinch of salt. Use an immersion blender until the texture is fluffy and smooth. Low-fat ricotta is pretty reasonable (50 calories and 6 grams of protein per serving) and nothing else in the recipe has many calories.
    And don't worry, your teeth will feel better in a bit.