Another plateau and my final 10 to lose - HELP PLZ

Options
scapez
scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
I'm stuck. Again.

The last time I plateaued I upped my calories from 1200 to 1350. It worked for a while.

Now I'm hovering in the low 130s and still have body fat to lose, not sure how much but it can't be more than 10 pounds.

My calories are at 1500 now and I eat at least half of my exercise calories back. I've cut down on cardio (Zumba) and most of my exercise comes from running or walking.

Should I up my calories more? Strength train? Go by TDEE numbers only and not eat exercise calories back? Zig zag? I would like to hear from fitness professionals or anyone that had solid advice or personal experience breaking through the final 10.

Thanks!

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Try zig-zagging your calories. When I hit my 2 plateaus, I zig zagged my calories, and it got me off of them. Good luck, sweetie - you have come so far. Don't give up. The last few lbs are always the hardest.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Zig zag! It's worked for me, and plenty of other people.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck. Again.

The last time I plateaued I upped my calories from 1200 to 1350. It worked for a while.

Now I'm hovering in the low 130s and still have body fat to lose, not sure how much but it can't be more than 10 pounds.

My calories are at 1500 now and I eat at least half of my exercise calories back. I've cut down on cardio (Zumba) and most of my exercise comes from running or walking.

Should I up my calories more? Strength train? Go by TDEE numbers only and not eat exercise calories back? Zig zag? I would like to hear from fitness professionals or anyone that had solid advice or personal experience breaking through the final 10.

Thanks!

It's much easier to approach this with metabolism running fully, much harder trying to figure out how much to increase in slow increments to help again.

I'd suggest eating at best estimated TDEE deficit method that includes exercise in there, and rest days causes an automatic zig-zag anyway if you think about it, rest day is mini-spike day.

And start with TDEE minus 10%, let that settle in, see what is really being lost for several weeks.
    After few weeks and sure metabolism is running normal then, spend a week with additional deficit 250 per day.
    Then back to TDEE-10%. Just in case your body is ready and willing to lower metabolism too quickly because of what it's been through, don't give it more than a week at too big a cut.

This is still in beta, not done with Tidbits tab, but done with others (until I see recommendations from general usage).
    Use the TDEE deficit tab, best if you could enter in bodyfat% for better estimate.
    Use TDEE method using HRM calorie burn if you use one.
    Use first deficit method which will be at 10%.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    What is Zig-Zagging calories??
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What is Zig-Zagging calories??

The idea that your net (eaten minus exercise) would vary day to day.
    The idea of the spike day is a one-day big zig-zag.

The idea is you may be short what would be best on some days, but on other days you balance it out with overage.

If you follow one of the TDEE deficit methods, which spread the exercise burn load out over the whole week, you automatically get zig-zag, because some days exercise takes more, some less, rest days none.

What usually ends up happening with these systems, if you looked at avg weekly, is having the net at decent level, rather than always low. So the same effect really could be obtained by just netting at decent amount all the time.
  • theresabell67
    theresabell67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try reading the thread "Eat More To Weigh Less"