Protein, Carbs, Fat

Options
Hi!

Should I be mostly concerned with staying at my calorie amount, or really pay attention to the carbs, fat, protein too?? I've tried losing weight before of course, and was overwhelmed with all of the things I had to pay attention to. Choosing healthy foods and staying at my calorie range would be ideal for me- just wanted to check! It seems I somehow keep going over a little bit on protein and fat. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    Calories are what's mostly important. Macros are somewhat important but nowhere near as important as calories.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    once you get closer to your goal, protein, carbs and fat become more important. BUT I think if you start by just paying attention to calories, it'll eventually come to you what fills you up and what makes your body feel better. then protein, carbs and fat will fall into place. start with calories-try and eat the least amount of processed foods as possible, and then check yourself out in the mirror;-)
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping...not sure about that but would be nice to find out
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    One step at a time :) when you feel you've got control over your calorie intake and can stay within it, try focus in on your macros which you can learn to tweak here and there to your advantage to hit through a plateau you might experience

Good Luck :D
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    my calories are always under but my sugar and carbs are over because of the fruit I eat
  • sab53
    sab53 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. calories out is the most important consideration. However, figuring out how to use those calories can make the difference in your energy levels and how full you feel. Fiber rich foods such as whole grains as well as high protein foods help to keep you full. Sugars in fruits and veggies are great sources of energy as well and help you to feel full longer than say a candy bar.
  • lauren28178
    lauren28178 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!!
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I just tracked calories until using MFP was more of a habit. But when I stalled a bit, I focused on the percentages without changing the calories at all, and started losing again. The percentages are important. And changing them periodically, can help with the plateaus.
  • sab53
    sab53 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually go way over in the amount of protein I take in. But that's only because I'm trying to build muscle as well as lose fat. My brother is a personal trainer and he knows my genetics are against me as far as my metabolism is concerned. So he suggested a high protein program for me, because more muscle mass increases the BMR.