Sodium-How much?

Options
adioschubs
adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to nutrition. I started tracking my sodium intake on MFP and noticed I was going over the 2500 recommended by the guideline. I never realized how much sodium I was taking in!

How much sodium do you usually take in per day? What is a healthy amount? How much does it affect weight loss? Thanks!

Replies

• FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I try to stay in the limits that MFP gives me. I do know when I go over the scale actually goes up and it is just water weight!
  • kateva143
    kateva143 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stay at 2500 or less. Usually when I go over it's because of any kind of processed food, fast food, or cold cuts. Even though it doesn't negate the sodium, on days that I know I'm going to go over I try to drink a lot more water.
  • adioschubs
    Options
    That seems like a good idea. For the past two days, I've been getting my 8 glasses of water so perhaps that has helped with the scale moving down slightly!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings and try for less than 1500 a day.
  • Dawsons_Journey
    Options
    based on a 2000 calorie/day diet, Sodium max should be 2500mg/day. I would try and stay below that. ;o) (have been having this debate on facebook today actually lol).

13558990.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • adioschubs
    Options
    Hmm..Today my sodium is between 1500-2000. I'm going to try and improve upon that gradually!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I had 1342 with sushi!
  • adioschubs
    Options
    1342 just from the sushi or in total for the day?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    1342 just from the sushi or in total for the day?
    The entire day
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty horrible at keeping my sodium low... Usually always go over 2500 and I eat about 2000-2200 calories a day.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options

This is the new recommended amount of sodium from the CDC...1500 mg/day. I try to stay in that area.
  • barleespringers
    Options
    If a person has high blood presure or heart disease (like me), then 1,500 is the recommend amount.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Australian guidelines suggest 1500/day so I aim to stick to that.
    But, as I don't have medical issues, I don't get stressed if I'm over that some days.
  • adioschubs
    Options
    I'm lucky not to have any medical issues other than being obese, but I am definitely looking to prevent any later in life (my mom has high blood pressure and all of my grandparents have had heart problems).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This is the new recommended amount of sodium from the CDC...1500 mg/day. I try to stay in that area.

From the Mayo Clinic and the CDC:

"The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend limiting sodium to less than 2,300 mg a day — or 1,500 mg if you're age 51 or older, or if you are black, or if you have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease."
  • thephysiquemechanic
    thephysiquemechanic Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i watch mine, and i make sure i buy alot of lower sodium foods when going shopping, for example ketchup, solid white albacore(tuna), i buy the lower sodium or no salt added varients of them, any frozen veggies i make sure are unseasoned, and i buy alot of mrs dash seasonings which have no salt. Those are just some of the improvements you can make to lower your daily intake of sodium.