Too much water

Options
When I was younger I use to drinks a lot of water, until my Doctor informed me that I was slowly killing myself. Apparently I was drinking so much I was getting water poisoning. Now I have a hard time drinking more than 4 cups of water.
I was wondering if anyone else has a similar story?

Replies

• terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I use to drinks a lot of water, until my Doctor informed me that I was slowly killing myself. Apparently I was drinking so much I was getting water poisoning. Now I have a hard time drinking more than 4 cups of water.

:noway: never heard of water poisoning!

had to google it...is this what you had? "Water poisoning is caused by excessive consumption of water during a short period of time."
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

:noway: never heard of water poisoning!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard of water poisoning, but idk much ab it.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That doctor was probably very misinformed! The main way to get water toxemia is to drink a ton at once without going to the bathroom. If you go a lot and drink throughout the day then it's very good for your body as well as weight loss. I drink a gallon a day, every day!
  • Micksgurl
    Micksgurl Posts: 84
    Options
    News to me!! :smile: Going to have to google that one. I struggle to drink my daily water but when I do I always feel better.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Did you live in a town that was near a plant or factory that was polluting the water or something? I have never heard of that either. Intrigued me enough to do some research now though.

I know a few years back when I read Kevin Trudeau's book he said to get a reverse osmosis system for your house because the government pours flouride in our water and no matter what dentists say flouride isn't good for us. But that's the closest to that I can think of.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    That doctor was probably very misinformed! The main way to get water toxemia is to drink a ton at once without going to the bathroom. If you go a lot and drink throughout the day then it's very good for your body as well as weight loss. I drink a gallon a day, every day!

Thank GOD! I almost had a heart attack after reading the OP I drink about a half gallon to a gallon a day on work out days! I go a LOT and clear pee is happy pee :laugh:
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Very interesting...this is what I found. Seems it has to be very extreme excessive water intake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this, but it is very unlikely you drank enough for it to be detrimental to you. A woman died doing a contest for a radio station, but it was a very absurd amount. I drink anywhere from a gallon to a gallon and a liter a day. It helps flush your system and keeps you full. Many times our mind is telling us we are hungry when in actuality we are thirsty.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It is very possible to not only drink too much water, but you can die from this. Recently, there was a contest on a radio station, where the contestant that drank the most water won a wii. The winner died afterwards. It is called water intoxication. Here is a link about marathon runners and water intoxication...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rules-radio-station-jennifer-strange-water-drinking/story?id=8970712
    That is a link to the radio contestant that died. The family sued for wrongful death and won.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I second (or third) what some of the others have said, key is to drink water continuously throughout the day, voiding your bladder frequently. It's hard to get in your 8 glasses or whatever, but I just try to go with the "drink half your body weight in ounces" rule. So if you weight 150, shoot for 75 ounces of water per day.
  • dmwells3
    dmwells3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Basically, water poisening is where you drink so much water you wash the vital nutrients out of your system and start to go into organ shut down. Several college kids have been killed this way during hazing over the last few years. There is such a thing as "Too much of a good thing".
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i drink a gallon+ a day...

i think water poisoning is fairly rare. it really is the best thing you can drink!
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Water poisoning does exist, but people take it to extreme levels of panic. It only happens when you drink EXCESSIVE (I'm talking 2-3 gallons within an hour or 2) amounts of water, then basically sit around and dont go to the bathroom. The problem happens when the electrolytes in the body to become imbalanced and basically your brain goes haywire (or something like that). Consuming water throughout the day is no problem, chugging too much water at once is very unhealthy for your kidneys, and can lead to water poisoning.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Eight glasses of water a day is a myth- that keeps on getting repeated."there is no scientific evidence that we need so much water"

Search google for -- [eight glasses of water a day myth]

Water is very important, but it depends on the person, their body and activity - I've had at least 10 today but I was walking outside in the heat for 90 minutes

As far as too much - search for -- [hyponatremia]
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    rusrs.png
  • rjams
    rjams Posts: 48
    Options
    After reading all of the comments I think I decide that the doctor was misinformed. But it feels better to hear this and realize it is okay to get back to the oddles of water drinking ^.^
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon to two gallons a day! I have never had any problems!