Achilles tendon

Options
I am actually not sure this is the achilles tendon, because it doesn't hurt above the heel, but on the back on the heel right below the top of my shoes.

I have been running for over 2 years now and have never had an injury. When I started I was nearly 350 lbs and could barely run for 2 minutes, then last October, I ran my second half marathon and didn't stop to walk at all except through the water stops. I have always taken care to warm up before a workout, and stretch properly after.

Then 3 weeks ago I went for a short 2-3 mile run (at the time I had been doing 2-3 miles a day 3-4 days a week since my last half) and the weather was so nice and I felt so good I kept going for 5 miles. Keep in mind I have done serveral 5k's, a few 10k's and 2 half marathons, so 5 miles is in no way out of my comfort zone. When I was done I felt great, but took extra care to stretch since I had gone further than I had been doing lately.

Then about an hour later my heel started to hurt. On the back, just below the top of my shoe. The next morning I couldn't walk without limping, but found stretching helped and after a couple of days I was able to walk normally without pain. But it has now been 3 weeks and I still have significant pain when I wake up, and have to stretch before I can walk well enough to get to the bathroom. Then by the time I get to work it is fine. I haven't run or done any other lower body exercise (other than walking required for work and normal daily routine) since because I have been trying to give it time to heal, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better at all.

So my question is, should I try going back to cardio slowly and see if that improves it? As I mentioned, by the time I get to work in the morning it feels fine it is just in the morning that it seems very stiff. I have my first race of the season in 9 weeks (warrior dash) and I don't want to injure myself further, but I also need to get started on training or I am not going to be able to perform as well as I want to.

I tried gettting into the doctor but the earliest they can see me is 2 weeks out, and I really want to get back to running, or at least doing the eliptical.

Replies

• LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Hey Tim;

I just wanted to let you know that I hope you feel better, but don't worry about maintaining a fast pace in July. 1) My friends that have done Warrior Dash ALL say there are so many people in each wave that there is very little running, and 2) My knees are giving me so much trouble that I haven't been running for about 3 - 3 1/2 weeks. I'm walking at a very quick pace and still lifting 3-4 days per week, but no running. I've been taking glucosamine for about 7 weeks and it has helped some, but not enough. The only way I can get through 5 minutes of straight running is by eating 5 ibuprofen before the run. I was doing that for quite a while, but that is NOT the answer; it's too unhealthy. I will run with you between the obstacles, but I don't think we'll be hitting a quick pace.
  • stevearter
    stevearter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    www.mayoclinic.com/health/achilles-tendinitis/DS00737

Tim,
    Check out the Mayo Clinic.....good info. I have the same issue....

Steve
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your achilles. My personal experience with achilles tendonitis has been that it doesn't go away until you really rest it for a good amount of time. I've made the mistake of trying to push through it, only to make it worse and extend my recovery period. At the very least don't run until you see the doctor. In the meantime try swimming or biking. Sucks to be stuck inside a gym this time of year, but if you have access to an arctrainer, I found that to be the best way to maintain my running fitness without bothering the achilles; the regular elliptical put too much strain on it.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have Achilles tendinitis, which it sounds like you might be experiencing as well. My advice in no way replaces whatever your doctor tells you to do, but I can suggest a few things to try in the two weeks before you see him or her:

1. Take two ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve) every night before bed. This can help to reduce the inflammation that is occurring in your tendon. Avoid using painkillers during the day to reduce heel pain, since that can lead to you doing more damage without noticing.

2. Similarly, ice the back of your heel, where the pain is, for twenty minutes at a time a few times per day. Again, this helps to reduce inflammation.

3. Get a heel inert of better arch support for your shoes. This takes some of the strain off of the tendon. Avoid walking barefoot until this clears up.

This is how my doctor had me treat my Achilles tendinitis, and it has worked wonders. Again, this advice was give to me by my doctor, and your situation could be different. Good luck!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Could be Achilles Bursitis?

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/ankle-achilles-shin-pain/achilles-bursitis-retrocalcaneal-bursitis

I got chronic Achilles Tendinitis and it is actually finally subsiding. It started at the end of November 2011. I had PT for it since February and had it for months. I continued running on it (with doctor's approval) and it incrementally got better albeit slowly ... can you get another doctor that can see you sooner?
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was able to get in to see my doctor today due to a cancellation (working for the hospital that owns the clinic has its perks) and he believes it is a minor case of Achiles bursitis and perscribed physical therapy and a night splint to keep the foot at a 90 degree angle and thereby keep the tendon from tightening up over night. He said that under the direction of the physical therapist, I can begin to exercise again slowly as I do the PT. And as luck would have it, there was a cancellation for tomorrow at the PT office, so I will be able to get in and get started right away.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Good luck!