Suggestions for high intensity, low impact workout?

Options
Hi all,
a friend of mine was doing Cto5K with me, but feels she needs to stop b/c she's aggravating old knee injuries. She's looking for a challenging workout that will also somehow spare her knees.

She's somewhat of a "workout snob" - in that if she doesn't get challenged enough - feels like it's not worth doing. See the dilemma?

Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!!!

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    No answer but I am bumping this because I want to see the responses.

I often have problems with my knees. I want a more intense workout but without the knee pain.

Currently I walk but I want to run!

I do the eliptical but I want to do the stair stepper!

I lift weights but only upper body, I want to do leg presses!

Our insurance stinks and to see an orthopedic and then PT will kill our budget so I need to do this more on my own!
  • brownm279
    Options
    Swimming
  • jazzyjules2004
    jazzyjules2004 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree... anything in water. Not the wimpy jazzercise in water though. At my gym, they have a class called H20, and they work your *kitten* off lol. Spinning and low impact dancing are good on the knees as well. When I started working out again on a regualr basis, I was rollerblading and running/walking and this quickly made my knees hurt. I've been trying the above suggestions and they've helped a good bit. Good luck!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have access, but try spinning classes. Cycling should be easier on the knees - no impact. Intense workout. I've not met anyone who has tried spinning that didn't find it very challenging, regardless of fitness level.
    good luck!
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Cathe has some low impact step at Cathe.com.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I agree... anything in water. Not the wimpy jazzercise in water though. At my gym, they have a class called H20, and they work your *kitten* off lol. Spinning and low impact dancing are good on the knees as well. When I started working out again on a regualr basis, I was rollerblading and running/walking and this quickly made my knees hurt. I've been trying the above suggestions and they've helped a good bit. Good luck!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

At some gyms now they actually have an aqua spinning class! A friend of mine takes them and she LOVES it!
  • Sharpoe
    Sharpoe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find that water aerobics is great ...it's fast pace, not hard on the bones. I have been going for about 2 weeks now and I can already feel the difference in the knee pain that I was having from walking to much!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks for all the suggestions everyone - I'll pass these on to my friend.... she goes to the Y when she can - maybe they have spinning or aqua classes.

Thanks again! (PS - I'll try to come back and post if she's successful with any of this - or if she has any new recommendations to share. )