Lean & Toned Body Through Diets and Workouts

Miss_L
Miss_L Posts: 20 Member
Hi all
So not too sure if this was the right place to post this, but i really wana trim down and have lean, toned and trim body. Im currently work out doing ~45min on the cross ramp 5-6 days per week ( like an elliptical but higher intensity) and do weights every 2nd day but not very intense (only bicep curls, bench press, seated rower, assisted chin up and shoulder press). Feel free to look at my diet and suggest where to make improvements, but can anyone help with what exercise to do/what to eat? Thanks :)

Replies

• queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Food wise, I would up your calorie intake, protien intake, and healthy fat intake. I would lower your carb intake a bit. Get your more complex carbs from fruits and vegetables and less from breads and pasta. As far as weights goes, someone else here may have better advice. Also, yoga and pilates classes do wonderful things for strengthening and toning muscle.
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Lifting weights and not being afraid to lift heavy is going to help you get muscle definition and drop size. I love doing circuits or complexes with weights that incorporate strength training while keeping your heart rate up.

I can't speak for everyone, but for the last 2 months I've been doing 6 days/week with one day of just cardio (Zumba) and the other 5 days consisting of 20-ish minutes of high intensity cardio intervals (sprints on a treadmill) and then 40-60 minutes of lifting circuits. I've lost tons of inches everywhere (dropped 3 sizes) and lost 14lbs. If you want a strength circuit, this is one of my faces that only needs a barbell:

With a 20/30/40lb barbell (whatever you are comfortable with but is still challenging), hold the barbell palms facing down and perform the following without rest until the end of the circuit. You don't put the barbell down the entire time:

8 Deadlifts
    8 Romanian Deadlifts
    8 Bent Rows
    8 Overhead Presses
    [at this point, put the barbell behind your head, across your shoulders)
    8 Squats
    8 8 Backward Lunges (each side)

*rest 60-90 seconds*

Repeat again but with 7 reps -> rest -> 6 reps -> rest, etc until you are fatigued or until you hit 1 rep each.

Hope this helps- Good luck :D
    -Chelsea
  • Miss_L
    How much protein/calories would you recommend? Usually I do my best to avoid pasta, only had it recently coz we had a guest for dinner, and I only have light rye bread. But thanks heaps :)
  • chelseaalicia
    More protein never hurts, especially if you are doing any lifting. It will help you repair faster and encourages muscle tone and it helps keep you full. Carbs are ok in whole grain form... I'll eat pasta but only a smaller serving bulked up with lots of veggies.

Calories... you should not NET less than 1200, but many people have found success eating more calories rather than less. It looks like you're doing a good job so far eating back most of what you burn. You can go into setting and change your carb/fat/protein percentages manually too... 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat is often used but isn't the default.
  • Miss_L
    Thanks!!! I will have to try those exercises :) I only worry that If i incease my calories I will start to gain weight (Fat mass) and i definately dont want that!! another set back is i dont like red meat/pork, but i eat chicken, fish, dairy, eggs etc :) Thanks guys, this is useful stuff
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    All good advice here so far! :smile:
  • chelseaalicia
    Just pay attention to your NET calories, minimum of 1200 or your BMR... I increased calories and my weight loss picked up. As long as you're burning calories your weight loss will continue. As a side note, greek yogurt is amazing! The kind I buy has 120cal/serving and 18g protein. I love it! :D
  • Miss_L
    This site said my BM wAS 1513kcal but I used the sedentary option coz unless im at the gym or working, im studying. But on another note, greek yoghurt is amazing!! do you get low fat? Mine is organic and full fat (they dont have a low fat one) but i only have 100-125g serves
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    bumping this one
  • Hi! I'm glad you added me :)

BUT anyways...go to bodybuilding.com! They let you choose from a list of workout plans that are geared towards what you want! (so for you, lose weight, get lean muscle) I love it and I can always go to a new routine after a few weeks! I do Jamie Easton's and find it tough, but very manageable!

Also, try pilates! :) you can find stuff online to do it and it really transforms the body! :) as well as stretch! This is very important to keep your body strong, flexible and long!

Finally! Like everyone else said, eat lots of lean protein, at least half of your weight in it! I have great recipes that you can see in my diary! I currently do a 55% carbs, 25% Protein, 20% fats.

Anything you can buy at fast food or at a restaurant you can make at home in a healthy version that is just as satisfying! Sometimes more since you know its healthier ;)

One great tip?! If you want something super sweet and chocolately, I do a 100 calorie Cinnamon bagel with Philadelphia chocolate cream cheese (1 TBS) and a cut up strawberry on top! SOOO GOOD!
  • chelseaalicia
    I get bigger (not single serve) containers of 0%plain or honey greek yogurt from one of the supermarkets here (I'm in Canada, not sure where you are). There is no difference in protein between 0% and 2% so I just get the low fat. Trt the plain unsweetened greek yogurt with lots of herbs or garlic or cucumber as a dip with veggies or bread- sooooo good.

Calories- If your BMR is 1500, even if it is lower, say 1400, ANY other activity you do will be a deficit if you are eating at/slightly below (just for good measure) your BMR because you are eating just enough to power your body. I try to stay around that number because that's how much your body burns if you just sat for 24 hours and since I'm on my feet all day, walk a lot and go to the gym, I have enough deficit to work with.
  • Miss_L
    Ahh ok! Thanks i'll check out that website :) do they have nutrition info on there to?
    Christina, does your protein/carbs/fat ration help you lose weight/stat lean? Im from Australia, i dont think we have cinnamon bagels :(

Chelsea alicia, you've given me a great idea to make tzatziki lol :) and thanks, you've cleared upthe BMI thing for me :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Really good advice given by the others. I would say increase protein and water, and fiber a little too. I really enjoy a protein shake many mornings but I'm a breakfast eater and you may not be. Good luck to you!