Exercise Tips?

Options
I go to the gym about 3 -4 times a week. When I get there I run 5k then follow with a mix of ab workouts. I am trying to slim down my mid section, does anyone have any advice? Maybe even something to switch up the routine? Ive tried work out classes as well but prefer my run along with some other exercises. Thanks!

Replies

• SiberianHusky747
    Options
    You could try boxing. I have boxed and it definitely gets results! It's amazing applying your body in the way that boxing demands you to. You put all you've got into the bag and you can feel every muscle in your body doing its part. It will definitely give you defined abs if you are eating in moderation.
  • Gulzilly
    Gulzilly Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You should run 3x a week. Try to mix up with spin and kickboxing. Add maybe the NTC workouts from Nike Training Club app or online. You can also add either a bootcamp or mix up some Shred(Jillian Michaels) or Insanity/P90X exercises.

I'm slowly seeing my middle get smaller from the mix. When I was just running/walking and doing free exercises for abs I saw nothing happening. I also got an HRM(Heart Rate Monitor) and a scale to measure my food and noticed a difference within 2 days.
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can always try the rowing machine.
    Also, instead of running 5K all the time, switch it up and shock your body with some new cardio routines like interval training (HIIT) It can be done on the treadmill, elliptical or rower and you go full out for short periods of time followed by a recovery period. When I first started I was doing about 16 to 20 minutes and mixing 1:30 recovery with 30 - 45 secs of full out speed. I got a heck of a great workout in a shorter amount of time. Some weight training is also great to incorporate into your workouts (and try doing your weight training before all your cardio.) I've also added Kettlebells to my exercise regimen - good cardio and toning exercises you can find and do.

I agree with the above poster who talked about NTC as well ... I've done that and it's great. My first go-round almost killed me! haha

Like so many others have said in previous posts on MFP, you CANNOT spot reduce, it's all diet and exercise, so don't forget to watch what you're eating. Protein, veggies, fruits, whole grains - limit your sugar and processed foods and drink lots of water. These are things that have been working for me, but just find what works for you, this is just my 2 cents.

Good luck in finding something new and challenging in your journey! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • dustcosta
    dustcosta Posts: 1
    Options
    Add a little weight training. The more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn a day. Running in just going to make you skinny fat but if you want to get rock hard and skinny you have to lift some iron.